back to article Split on support for 'old' Java in next Eclipse

A summit on the next version of Eclipse platform - E4 - has exposed fundamental disagreements between those who want to update the platform and those wanting to continue support for "old" Java. The dispute is over whether to focus on Java 5 or to continue supporting its aging predecessor Java 1.4. Eclipse projects currently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old Java

Considering that there are embedded platforms which only support JDK 1.3 still, arguing about dropping 1.4 support seems a bit optimistic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

seen it all before

Pascal all over agan, and look where Pascal is these days...

Mine's the one with the Fortran IV book in tghe pocket.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

where is Pascal these days...

UCSD Pascal's concept of write once run anywhere interpreted Pcode sounds a lot (to me) like the Java concept of write once debug everywhere Java bytecode.

But then I'm a dinosaur.

There's not much worth doing that can't be done in PDP11 Fortran IV. The overlays can get a bit tricky sometimes, given that there's only 64kB to play with, but...

4. Daniel B.

Drop 1.4? Are they crazy?

Taking that there are loads of app servers running J2EE 1.4, I doubt it to be a good idea dropping 1.4 at all.

Java 5 dropping Entity Beans was reason enough *not* to embrace the Java EE 5 thingy. It isn't nice to set up a standard, and then changing everything in the next release, leaving those who actually adopted it in the cold.

Kind of like those SOAP rpc/encoded webservices...

5. Barker Plant
    Go

Why Netbeans is winning friends

Because we're all sick and tired of being messed about by IBM and friends.

6. Steve
    Thumb Up

PDP-11

"There's not much worth doing that can't be done in PDP11 Fortran IV. "

You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building

"The overlays can get a bit tricky sometimes, given that there's only 64kB to play with, but..."

128k if you have an I/D space machine... Now if only I could get some bootable RSX-11M media for mine :(

7. Steve
    Thumb Up

Performance

Performance is indisputably better in the newer versions of java, particularly 6, so any argument for staying with 1.4 based on performance is doomed to look stupid.

Entity beans weren't dropped, the interface and implementation was cleaned up/fixed.

http://www.devx.com/Java/Article/31488/1954

Here's an article on migrating forwards from EJB 2.1 to EJB 3.0

8. Nano nano

My little contribution ...

Well, at least I got the dependency of 'get time and date' on AWT removed from 1.4 ...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forward!

There is no good reason to support ancient Java versions in a new Eclipse version - those who need support for an old version can obviously run an old version of Eclipse. It is not like those poor sods who use Visual Studio and discover that it is impossible to buy the old version they have to use for their legacy code.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1.4? That would be nice.

We develop an API and still have a number of clients still running Java 1.3 - and last month got an email from a corporate client who was still running 1.2! This is J2SE as well.

11. Nano nano

Java 1.3 ... Java 6

Write once, run anywhen ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like