back to article Life is good in the data centre – UKFast boss reports from hot tub

If life is hard in the data centre space, then someone forget to tell the boss of UKFast, who may just be toasting a bumper 2013 from the confines of his corporate hot tub. The Manchester-based hosting biz, which plies its trade from three fully owned bit barns in Trafford Park, posted results for last calendar year and they …

1. Stuart 22

An ex-Burstnet customer replies ...

"The business also made its first acquisition, taking on the customer base of UK hosting firm BurstNET after recruiting M&A director Catherine Houghton. No specific mention was made of the deal."

Figures - I was unceremoniously dumped without notice. Was anybody else?

I found out by accident through some odd tickets that my service was going to be terminated in a month. No formal notice - nothing. Always paid on the dot, never used my full allowance, no trouble. No excuse except it was their 'right' - except their right does include giving notice.

It was a backup server - so I had to waste a week setting up and testing a server with a tried and tested provider (in the Netherlands if that's a clue). Strange that every UK provider I have tried over 20 years has let me down. Whereas overseas ones rarely.

Not a company that will get any more business from me. Decide for yourselves.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

A sysadmin in a hot tub? I think not.

Here's how a sysadmin works:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20141013

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

you think thats bad

They provided me with (expensive) internet connectivity in Manchester for many years, paid on the dot, caused them no issues. Received a phone call to advise me they were moving racks, gave me 2 weeks notice that I'd have to order (and pay for) a new cable between my cab and their new cab. Their lack of plan/planning/communication didn't inspire any confidence so I went elsewhere. Guess they can afford to lose customers.

1. Stuart 22

Re: you think thats bad

“The new HQ is an extraordinary workplace with facilities including an auditorium and bar, gym and steam room and even an indoor garden and pond on the top floor,”

Hmmm is that RBS and British Airways built just before hitting rough waters? Management complacence and comfort rather than cutting costs and flab to better serve their customers. UKFast & Loose might be a more appropriate name.

Price out their Cloud offerings if you want to see how they plan to finance their HQ.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like