back to article Vanmoof Electrified Bike: Crouching cyclist, hidden power

The Vanmoof electric bike is the future of cycling; OK, maybe not of all cycling, but certainly of my cycling. Vanmoof is a utilitarian city bike designed for getting Dutch people from home to work and back again. I use a Ridgeback mountain bike to cycle into Vulture central and it’s not a particularly appropriate bike, so …

1. xyz Silver badge

Err....a fly in the lycra?

Did the UK ever sort out that little problem that you could only have a 200W jobby on the UK roads as opposed to the standard 250W in the EU, otherwise you would be done for no VED (yes, I know it would be zero rated), insurance, licence, no number plates etc? IIRC, EU: 250W, no twist grip, must peddle all the time, UK: 200W, twist grip, don't have to peddle. Over 200W, it's classed as a motorbike in the UK

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Err....a fly in the lycra?

Yeah, UK legislation can get in the way of new takes on personal transport. For example, BMW made a scooter with a roll cage, the C1, the idea being that you didn't need the hassle of donning leathers and a helmet. UK law says that that a helmet is still a legal necessity when riding a C1, even though wearing a helmet would be dangerous due to risk of neck strain in the event of a collision.

Many countries deemed the use of seatbelts in conjunction with wearing a helmet to be unsafe. The added strain on the riders neck from the added weight of the helmet could cause significant injury to the restrained rider even in a low speed head-on collision. Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Israel and Spain authorities were quick to allow an exception to the helmet law for the C1. However, poor C1 sales in the United Kingdom may in part be attributable to the British government's refusal of BMW's request to change helmet regulations for C1 riders.

Some cities in the USA placed an onus on employers to provide off-street storage for bicycles - fear of theft deters some people from cycling to work.

2. Eponymous Cowherd

This is incorrect. eBikes in the UK are restricted to 250W (300W for a tandem) and a top motorised speed of 15.5mph (this is the speed the motor stops assisting, you can go faster under your own effort if you wish). eBikes are permitted a throttle (so you don't have to pedal). Bikes in other euro countries can only use pedalec mode.

3. Kubla Cant
      Headmaster

Err, you normally pedal bikes*. It's drugs that you peddle.

* Unless you own a bike shop.

4. Tapeador

Well done for knowing the nominal rules! Un point.

However. There are about three doctrines of EU law which fundamentally prohibit the enforcement of the 200w limit (as distinct from the 250w limit on the mainland).

1) The UK is bound to implement the directive which features the 250w limit (due for completion in 2015 I believe). During this implementation period, it is strictly prohibited from acting contrary to the objects of the directive, i.e. it may not enforce the 200w limit.

2) The Cassis de Dijon, or mutual recognition rule: EU member states must accept goods on sale in other member states, unless there is a compelling and permitted reason not to (and subject to proportionality rules). Given people can ride faster than 15mph on ordinary bikes without wearing a helmet, it seems insupportible to force them to ride under it with one, on a mere 250w bike, which the 200w rule classifies as a motorbike.

3) Any national rule capable of preventing intra-EU trade is a prima facie breach of the treaty Article on free movement of goods, and must be subject to the proportionality test, above.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Et...vous savez bien ce que vous vous pouvez faire, M. Farage.

A little bit worrying that your bicycle might become illegal in this country after 2017, though.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Sadly lacking two fairly essential features

1) the cup holder for that pumpkin spiced de-caf low fat latte that will be drunk while being nice people and not jumping 'red' lights (yeah fat chance of that happeing innit!)

2) the mounting point for the 'i' device. Has to include charger connection from the bike's battery so that their device won't run out of power by lunchtime.

Then all the fanbois will lap these up in a jiffy.

1. Steve Button Silver badge

Re: Sadly lacking two fairly essential features

@Steve Davies 3, you seem to have wandered away from The Daily Mail (or Cambridge News?) comments section, and stumbled onto The Register. Away with yer.

2. Red Bren
      Trollface

- cup holder

- iDevice mount/charger

- fat chance of obeying red lights or behaving considerately

You're describing a car

1. John Tserkezis

"- cup holder - iDevice mount/charge - fat chance of obeying red lights or behaving considerately"

I have bottle holders and an array of power options, including lights, with rear flashing reds that light steady on application of brakes on my three-wheeler recubment trike.

But I don't go through red lights, and I behave considerately.

So, clearly I'm not a cyclist.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HTFU ^ -1

So this is what HTFU ^ -1 looks like.... :)

Interesting article.

Not for me; however, in the spirit of a balanced review, a bike that is suited to the commute you do, with correct tyres ang gearing *and* setup correct for your body proportions, would be interesting to compare to your Ridgeback also. It might not leave you as relaxed as the Vanmoof, but I think you may be surprised.

Or not.

Interesting though.

1. Simon Rockman

Re: HTFU ^ -1

Mort, yes I know. Getting a bike which fits me is on my to-do list.

Simon

1. Steve Button Silver badge

I'd suggest switching the tyres on your MTB for road tyres, if you can find some that will fit. That will make the most difference IMHO, for very little cost.

2. IDoNotThinkSo

Yes - Rule 5!

An olde-fashioned touring bike or a modern but strangely very similar cross bike would be rather less than £2000.

If I get to 70 something, then maybe...

Still, I don't ride that far on a commute, so its easy for me to say.

1. Zog_but_not_the_first

Ha! Beat me to it. Rule 5 all the way.

2. Stuart 22

Hey Big Spender ...

"An olde-fashioned touring bike or a modern but strangely very similar cross bike would be rather less than £2000."

Some may think it would be better for people, environment and planet if the government £5000 EV subsidy was switched away from rich people's toys to machines like this. Being paid £3000 to take one of these away ... how many have you got ;-)

City congestion left behind (unless it has a Brooks saddle).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Hey Big Spender ...

> Some may think it would be better for people, environment and planet if the government £5000 EV subsidy was switched away from rich people's toys to machines like this. Being paid £3000 to take one of these away ... how many have you got ;-)

Damn straight. I'd have one tomorrow.

4. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Dang varmint

Misread it at first as Vamoosh, and now have the mental image of Yosemite Sam in a cycle helmet and six-shooters on this here iron (ok, more likely steel or aluminium) horse.

5. Dave 126 Silver badge

Front-wheel drive

I've had a go an electric push bike where the battery lived on the rear pannier rack and the motor was in the rear hub. My mate had removed any limiter it might have been sold with.

Due to the weight distribution and raw torque, one had to be careful not to pull a wheelie when starting off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Front-wheel drive

Indeed, i built a 750w hub motor electric bike running off 3 12v alarm batteries secured to the rear panier. As they were SLA batteries, i only had a range of about 5 miles, but that was 5 miles ALL electric, 30mph i could top out at without peddaling once... And tourqe!! Im not a small bloke by any means but this thing pulled me along from a standing start no troubles at all...

1. Danny 14

Re: Front-wheel drive

good luck hitting the deck at 30 mph with a heavy bike, no leathers, no real helmet to speak of. Having had a motorcycle crash at 40 mph with leathers and full helmet I can tell you that was no fun but at least no gravel rash on top of the bruises.

6. Tim Brown 1

e-bikes keep you fit!

I bought a conversion kit this spring from ciclotekstore.eu to convert my mountain bike into an e-bike and at the end of the summer I actually feel fitter!

The landscape around here is fairly undulating and quite tiring to ride on a normal bike. Now with power-assist I ride a lot more and have found that my pedalling cadence has increased so that I'm always making an effort rather than letting the motor do all the work.

1. Mark 65

Re: e-bikes keep you fit!

Feeling fitter might be a nice placebo or it may be genuine as you now get out and cycle more in total than previously. What say you?

7. unwarranted triumphalism

Good news

Another way to detect no-mark unemployable losers.

Arrive on one of these and your P45 will be ready before you've come to a halt.

1. Tapeador

Re: Good news

I think the lack of good judgement, and the harshness in your post, tells me something about how well you're likely to be tolerated in your workplace, if you have one. Speaking as one naturally prickly person to another.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. unwarranted triumphalism

Re: Good news

I get on in my workplace just fine, thanks. Maybe because I'm not the kind of loser who rides a bike.

8. EddieD

Looking at the graph the red line is the Vanmoof, while the blue one is the Ridgeback.

Er, what?

I got a turquoise line, a Khaki line, and a horizontal magenta line...and my monitor is calibrated right...

I crossed my half century recently, and reckon I'll switch to electric after a further score of years, even though I commute in one of the hilliest cities in the UK (Edinburgh), but if it gets folk on their bikes, and cars off the roads - bring 'em on. What I like is one thing, everyone is different. Only 2 gears is okay in the Netherlands (where I'm spending a long weekend this coming weekend on a bike with one less...), but in the UK, I reckon a few more would be better, but that will probably come on in the future.

Good to see such things starting to reach the mainstream - okay 2000 is quite a lot, but it will come down as the market matures, and the tech progresses.

9. Eponymous Cowherd

A fool and his money.....

I have an eBike. Cost £700. It has the same 250W motor and speed limitations as the Vanmoof, so its performance is identical.

It also has a rear mounted motor (much better traction), 7 speeds, a throttle lever (so you can motor without peddling if you wish) as well as "pedelec" mode.

Its also a folder, so I can sling it in the back of the car, or in the corner of the office while it charges.

I do about 20 miles a day on it, a total of over 1200 miles since I got it in May this year. I do tend to use it in "pedelec" mode, with me putting in about 1/3 to 1/2 of the effort. The big advantage over a regular bike is that I can vary the amount of effort I put in without greatly affecting the speed and time it takes to get to work (motor only, about 40 mins, pedelec, around 35 mins). If it's a hot day, I let the motor take most of the strain so I don't end up getting to work spraying sweat like a lawn sprinkler.

So what does the extra £1300 I'd pay for the Vanhoof get me, exactly?

1. Gordon 10

Re: A fool and his money.....

A completely different bike that meets a fairly different consumers needs perhaps?

1. Eponymous Cowherd

"A completely different bike that meets a fairly different consumers needs perhaps?

Care to elucidate what those different needs might be? What use/role can the Vanhoof fill that mine cannot? Mine is cheaper, just as fast and has the same range, but is far more flexible (it folds, has a removable battery, has 7 speeds and has a throttle only mode)?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

look at them cool blue leds, man, here's your answer....

3. Alan Edwards

> I have an eBike. Cost £700 250W motor Its also a folder

Any chance of some details of your bike?

Like, can you fold it and carry it upstairs, or does it weigh as much as a car?

I'm toying with getting a new bike, probably an electric assisted one, but I live in a 3rd floor flat so I'd need to get it upstairs.

1. Pookietoo

Re: I live in a 3rd floor flat

What you need is a remote controlled electric winch to put your bike on your balcony.

1. Danny 14

Re: I live in a 3rd floor flat

first one I saw on Halfords was a £600 foldable, 21kg, 200w front hub motor, shimano rear gear bike. A bit heavier than the vanmoof but almost a 1/3 the price. wonder if the extra is simply style tax?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Any chance of some details of your bike?

Yeah, do tell. I'm quite interested.

1. Mad Mecha Guy

SportsHQ do budget electric bicycles - have a folding bike at £500 - 23kGs inc battery & rear wheel drive.

If already have a favoured bicycle, can fit a bafang mid-mounted motor. Mid-Mounted motors replace the normal front pedals & sprocket with a new bottom bracket containing a 250w (or greater) motor and pedals. The mid-mounted motor allows you to use rear gears as part of the electric drive.

Regards.

10. paulc

Removable battery?

Lack of is a no no for me. I need to be able to remove the battery and take it indoors for charging as the brick built shed has no power and as is rented, won't ever have power...

1. Tapeador

Re: Removable battery?

Very true, you need to keep a battery like that indoors during the winter as the cold weather will damage it I think.

1. John Tserkezis

Re: Removable battery?

"Very true, you need to keep a battery like that indoors during the winter as the cold weather will damage it I think."

It won't damage it, but it'll retard performance.

11. phil dude
    Boffin

heart rate?

What is the basis for the 250W UK limit?

It would seem to be coincidentally close to what the average human can generate!!!

P.

1. Alan Edwards

Re: heart rate?

> What is the basis for the 250W UK limit?

Enough power to move, but not enough to have fun with? You know governments, anything you actually want to do is illegal :-)

More seriously, it's probably so you can't go quick enough that you need protective gear to avoid dying when you fall off.

2. Tapeador

As well as being part of a plot by nanny-state totalitarian communists to destroy freedom, as Alan said above, it's probably part of the Bilderberger conspiracy to keep us all in motorcars, thus propping up the oil businesses, as part of Xenu's efforts to forestall the Rapture.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Requirements such as helmets for motorcyclists and seat-belts for drivers are genuinely nanny state measures, since they decrease the risk of injury to only the individual. There is no change in the risk to a third party at all (though some say there my be an increased risk from the individual in control feeling safer). This, to my mind, is illegitimate use of power by the state - by all means ensure that risks to a third party are minimised, but don't interfere in the choice of individuals to put themselves at risk if they choose.

N.B. Since starting driving many years ago, I have never driven without a seatbelt. I have even added seatbelts to cars that didn't actually have them when I bought them. My point is entirely about the wrongness of personal protection legislation.

1. handle

Your simplistic theory doesn't take into account the fact that we live in a welfare state. Smash yourself up through not wearing a seatbelt and it costs the rest of us to put you back together again.

12. Gordon 10
    Thumb Up

Like them

I paralleled one of these on my commute 2 Fridays ago heading between Bloomsbury and Paddington. - initially I was puzzled by the integrated rear light - so put a shuffle on to catch up.

As a daily lycra clad commuter on a folder but who doesn't hang about I found it a real struggle to keep up with this mid-50's guy on one.

Although I for one think some form of suspension is useful on London's roads.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Like them

"Although I for one think some form of suspension is useful on London's roads."

If you have the right tyres (ie, not narrow racing bike tyres pumped up within a gnat's whisker of blowout), they act as quite capable airsprings.

Suspensions add far more weight than just lifting up on your toes on roughish roads. If you need one for road riding I'd say you're doing it wrong

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dunno who downvoted you for a really sensible post.

I agree with you entirely. 650b with Grand Bois Hetres for the win!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Suspension adds weight, true, but it allows for lighter wheel rims to be used, saving rotational mass. When tyres deform to absorb shocks, they increase their rolling resistance. The suspension will also help the mountings for the heavy battery last longer.

2. Harman Mogul

That would be Mr H talking, I surmise.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I like the speed limiter on electric bikes, it's great for improving your mood on the cycle to work in the morning as you overtake them.

On the flat, I can just about keep up with a road legal electric bike... when I'm on a 2-wheeled Dutch cargobike carrying 2 kids. Of course, there's an electric assist version of the bakfiets available...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Limitations ?

Is it x watt per axle or per bike ?

How heavy is the Vanhoof over your manual bike ?

How much heavier is your bike than a hybrid racer with 27in + wheels, long cranks and high gears ?

(if I run out of power I'm going to have to peddle this thing home).

1. Alan Edwards

Re: Limitations ?

> Is it x watt per axle or per bike ?

250w per bike, as far as I know

> How much heavier is your bike than a hybrid racer with 27in + wheels,

> long cranks and high gears ?

The Vanmoof Electric 3 is 19 Kg. A 13 Intuitive Beta (random 27 gear hybrid on halfords.com) is just under 14 Kg.

14. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Splutter!

That's *100* times what my bike cost me!

1. Michael Thibault

Re: Splutter!

You pay money for bicycles!?

15. The Nazz

What puzzles me

Is why the disparity in top speed, moreso the lack of top speed on your Ridgeback.

Given that it is obviously achieved going downhill, i would have expected the comparative top speeds to be the reverse of those shown, particularly given the actual gearing of the two bikes.

Any reason why so?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What puzzles me

I would strongly suspect that the Ridgeback has a higher rolling resistance due to having the MTB tyres still fitted, hence my original post at top.

16. stu 4

I'm a veteran of leccy bikes

Got my first one in 2008 - which I still use weekly.

I also converted my mountain bike for offroad leccy use (1000w), and have a little folding leccy bike that is great for commuting and keeping in the campervan.

As others have pointed out, the time of 2000 quid leccy bikes was 6-8 years ago. there is no reason why a good leccy bike should cost any more than a good bike + 400 quid for motor/battery.

There are lots of kits out for DIY, and there are quite a few companies who will sell you one ready to ride in the UK.

Or of course there is the cheap chinese jobs which are ok if you just want an occasional electrified bike based on a <100 quid frame. Horses for courses.

My 6 year old one is a Trex 7.2FX by cytronex. Frankly I wouldn't recommend a cytronex, as I have since replaced all electrical parts with my own (new hub motor, wiring, controller and my own lipo) after numerous techincal issues. But the idea of starting with a good hybrid bike is definately the best approach imho.

As others have stated the UK law is every so slightly more sensible than EU law in not requiring 'pedalec' only mode - which is just bollocks. I like to let the motor work on its own sometimes on straights/uphills, and then other times, I put effort in. that's the way I like the ride - WTF point is there in forcing pedalling - it's moronic.

The 15mph is also far too low imho. If it was more like 20-25mph I think we'd see a bigger uptake on electric bikes - power to weight (inc the rider) they are the best suited form of transport for electrifying - and yet it's held back by moronic laws like 250w/15mph/pedalec(EU).

fat and live in a hilly area ? tough shit - your 250w motor won't get you up the hills and will pull you along at walking pace. what the hell sort of intensive is that to people.

There seems to be no logic whatsoever to the 250w rule any more than the top speed or EU pedalec thing other than to protect incumbent industries as far as i can see.

Also - remember that most companies offer the bike scheme now enabling you to save tax, etc.

stu

1. handle

Re: I'm a veteran of leccy bikes

Plenty of logic to the 250W rule: if you want more, get a motorbike and a driving licence, number plate, helmet, insurance, MOT etc and keep out of most bus lanes, etc. The more powerful these things are, the more dangerous they are for you and others (not to mention the lower the benefits in terms of keeping you fit and healthy and reducing energy use) and at some point this has to be regulated. Yes, of course the cutoff is is a bit arbitrary but can you suggest a better way of dealing with such situations?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Yes, of course the cutoff is is a bit arbitrary but can you suggest a better way of dealing with such situations?

Maximum speed would seem to be a better choice.

The power should really be determined by the weight of the bike and rider which is hugely variable.

As mentioned above, a fatty riding a heavy (to take their weight of course) bike will need more power to make it more worthwhile. We should be encouraging this rather than making it more a niche for those that are already fit and slim.

1. Tapeador

Yes you're right it is an issue if you're heavier, but the BBS01 crank drive bikes (and kits) on sale at Woosh, (kits also at Eclipse, and Custom-Ebikes) will pull heavy people up hills without a fuss.

17. Ian 55

For less money than that, you could get a recumbent and you won't need any excess weight for a battery and motor whose "assistance won’t take you over 25km/h", because you'll be cruising at more than that.

And you'll get far more 'what's thaaaat' attention too.

1. TheDataRecoverer

recumbants? I would love a go on one, but I would *hate* to commute on one.

Cars don't see you, other cyclists may not (I know....a friend fell over one on a charity ride once 'cos she didn't spot the fella below her !!).

Also look like they need a lot of space to store compared with a 'regular' bike.

Don't get me wrong: as I started, I would love a go on one!

1. Titus Aduxass
        Angel

Uninvisible 'bents

>Cars don't see you

You're wrong.

Although a recumbent is a lot lower than an upright bike it is far more visible! Recumbents are such an unusual sight that motor vehicles take much more notice. When riding mine (and I've ridden tens of thousands of kilometers on mine) I can hear vehicles slow down much more as the driver goes "WTF"...

However I wouldn't commute on one in *heavy* traffic but that's for other reasons.

1. Ian 55

Re: Uninvisible 'bents

Absolutely right. Your head is also on the same level as a car driver's (well, at least on mine - 'bents with lower seating positions exist) so you get to see them going 'Whaaaat's thaaaat?' like a Teletubby.

On an upright bike you're a $%^*ing cyclist, to be ignored at best. On a recumbent, seeing you is the most interesting thing that's happened in most drivers' commute as you whiz past everyone on an upright.

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
      Happy

Clive! Is that you?

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

Recumbents are stupid-expensive. If you thought $2K for this thing was bad, your head would fall off at the $4K+ prices for most recumbents.

4. Kubla Cant

I've ridden a recumbent for about 10 years. It doesn't attract as much attention as it used to - I had to run a gauntlet of jeering teenagers when I first used it.

It definitely isn't an alternative to this electric bike. The author of the article uses the power to help him ride up Archway Road. Most recumbents are fairly heavy, and you don't have the option of standing on the pedals when you're climbing a steep hill. The theory is that you drop down to a low gear and "spin up", but as with any reciprocating engine, your legs waste a lot more energy in low gears.

18. David Bilsby
    Thumb Down

Only 15 mins faster not 30 mins!

This electric bike must contain some out of this world technology. That 250W motor in the front hub is so powerful that it is able to distort space-time to reduce the stopped, non-moving, time by half!

In all seriousness though, how can a review conclude that this bike saved 30 minutes because it was electrically assisted when in fact 27 minutes of the journey on the Ridgeback was non-moving compared to only 8 minutes on the Vanmoof, there a saving of 19 minutes already! That would be like me driving across London on a Monday morning at 5am in a battered Reliant Robin in 2hrs and doing the same journey at 8:30am in a Jaguar XK in 3hrs and then concluding the Reliant Robin is faster than a Jaguar.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Only 15 mins faster not 30 mins!

On the Ridgeback, was the 19 minutes of extra non-moving Mr. Rockman standing on the pavement on Archway, gasping?

I hate that road in a car,couldn't begin to imagine it on a bicycle.

1. Simon Rockman

Yes, exactly. I often take 5 mins at the bottom of the hill before tackling it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I don't know about Simon's route, but when I ride my bike straight across town I end up stopped at red lights a lot because they're timed for cars, and I can't ride as fast as a car. Neither would this bike, but if you can get through a few more timed light intersections before you're forced to stop that would add up fairly quickly.

2. Simon Rockman

Because I go both ways. Twice 15 mins is 30.

Simon

19. roger stillick
    Go

500W recumbant trike w/26in rear wheel and extra 48v battery...

Have it tomorrow, in stock at stores in Portland, OR and Chicago, IL... except for one small problem...

Life on the street b/4 being stolen= 15 miutes less than this year's Chev Corvette .

IMHO= fix that and mine will have yellow frame w/ white rain shield and road mud plate...the next day after the stolen thingy gets fixed...and probably licensed as a scooter, who cares?? i don't.

caveiat= my 3cyl Geo Metro fun car is as new and needs a new home, this would be my new sports car...RS.

20. Robert Grant

Brake energy regeneration

Good idea for this?

21. AmoebaUK

Well I am sold, will order one now.......

HOW MUCH!??!?!? holy moly

22. Rick Brasche

250 watts?

even here in California, USA where government needs to monetize every working citizen to fund the rest, we're allowed a kilowatt before getting nailed with "motorcycle" status, and all the insurance/licensing fees that come with it.

My kitchen mixer has more than twice that of the e-bike. Now realizing that those tiny little 50cc motors get well over 1HP (closer to 2 or 3), 250 watts is barely 1/3 hp. And most people whinge about gutless 50cc scooters. This means ebikes are charging a lot more money for a lot less "oomph".

It's not that much more expensive (especially in bulk) to get closer to 1kW. But eBike suppliers are either sandbagging for obscene profit or overly regulated. Here in CA, it's definitely the former.

1. Tapeador

Re: 250 watts?

Haha well maybe now you've got Obamacare they might revise some of the libertarian regulations to cut the public cost of mishaps!

23. Sporkinum

skateboard

I just moved to a new town/job 3 months ago. One of the benefits is that I can ride a skateboard to work. 1 mile and about 7-8 minutes. Can't do it when wet though, so I'll need to fit one of my bikes with fenders. Old job was 18 miles with 15 of that on a busy highway. I save a ton of money on gas, and get a nice short workout now.

24. KineticTomkat

Had one for a month. ..

Commuting in Edinburgh involves a lot of hills and frankly I would not be bothered with a normal bike and just hop on the bus. However the vanmoof cuts my journey time in half and give me some exercise whilst saving money in the long run compared to the kind of cars I buy.

It could do with better gearing up - hill but frankly if you slow down it will pull you up when you have had enough.

On stava I am usually top third in each section not bad for a mamal.

Thanks for the bike Anwar....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon