back to article Rupert Murdoch outs self as iPhone 6 fanboi

Rupert Murdoch has outed himself as an Apple fanboi. In one of the mogul's regular and oddly-contextless tweets, Murdoch admits to having recently acquired an iPhone 6 after first making some very anodyne comments on the fact that old spacecraft scarcely packed enough computing power to play a decent game of Tetris. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iOS8 / iPhone 6

The phone that's harder to hack...makes sense.

2. Big-nosed Pengie

Murdoch and Apple - a matched pair.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Alien

But you can hardly call Rupert a hipster now can you?

Oh wait....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

False Hipster

At his age, he must be a false Hipster. I wouldn't like to be in the vicinity of his knee-jerk reaction either, Man of Steel and all that. Still can't argue with his ethics, authenticity of which has never been in question.

Oh wait...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think Murdoch would have to be a Microsoft guy

He can't use iOS because it is based on taxpayer funded Mach and BSD. Android would be even worse as far as he's concerned, in his eyes the GPL would be akin to a communist manifesto designed to prevent anyone from maintaining ownership of the code and being able to charge for it.

No, he's gotta stick with Microsoft, closed source, pure capitalist, that's more his speed. Maybe his advisers will set him straight, or Steve Ballmer will buy out his media empire so he can switch everyone from iPad to Surface like he did the Clippers!

1. Philippe

Re: I think Murdoch would have to be a Microsoft guy

Why would he buy a WindowsPhone?

None of the TV channels or Newspapers he owns has an App for that dying platform.

1. Mark .

Yet the number of iphone users is barely any more - both are tiny compared to Android.

Glad to see the old "joke" still going strong - How do you tell someone has an Apple feature phone? They tell you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Murdoch had a bust of Lenin during his Oxford student days:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/features/inbedwithphillip/episodes/54-murdoch-biography/

Later on, he bought the company that had developed the encryption for Canal+ broadcasting. Some time later still, unofficial decryption of Canal+ channels became rife, by means of card writers and codes downloaded from the internet. Coincidence, I'm sure.

3. dogged

> No, he's gotta stick with Microsoft, closed source, pure capitalist, that's more his speed

Really? I'd have thought OSX+iOS's history of "stolen from open source and government funded exercise and now sold at a profit" would work perfectly for him.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Really? I'd have thought OSX+iOS's history of "stolen from open source and government funded exercise and now sold at a profit" would work perfectly for him.

Only Linuxistas see the use of BSD software in closed source as "stealing". BSD people see it as a validation of their approach and more end users to talk to.

4. PassiveSmoking

Wow, there's a trendiness killer if ever there was one.

Could you imagine how much money Murdoch could make by getting companies to pay him not to endorse their products?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep

You are right about that. Rupert's blessing sounds more like the kiss of death to me, Hip people carrying shiny I-things are unlikely to relate.

5. William Donelson

"Smithers? Install me an app. That one with the cranky birds sounds amusing"

Awesome!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like