back to article Women, your 'superpower' is ... NOT asking for a raise: Satya Nadella

Satya Nadella has made his first major gaffe as Microsoft CEO, making several rather unwise comments to a room full of women working in tech. Speaking at the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing event, the Redmond honcho told the audience that women should avoid asking for a raise – and instead rely on "karma". "It' …

1. Mad Chaz

"He still has a long way to go before matching his predecessor, however. Former boss and publicist's nightmare Steve Ballmer had a history of behaving rather erratically in front of cameras."

What's fun is when you find yourself with a boss that think that is the proper way to talk with employees ...

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

"...history of behaving rather erratically in front of cameras."

You make it sound like a negative thing...

2. John Tserkezis

"What's fun is when you find yourself with a boss that think that is the proper way to talk with employees ..."

I wonder if Microsoft CEOs are hand-picked to have foot-in-mouth disease?

1. Eddy Ito

I think they are forced to play mumblety peg with pistols. It's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

2. Tom 35

That's just what happens when you have a guy giving advice to people who make less in a year then he makes by lunch time on January 1st.

3. admiraljkb
      Joke

"I wonder if Microsoft CEOs are hand-picked to have foot-in-mouth disease?"

I think you'll find the corner office's bathroom medicine cabinet has been stocked with an anti-fungal mouthwash for some time now.

4. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

"I wonder if Microsoft CEOs are hand-picked to have foot-in-mouth disease?"

Yes, it's a Microsoft thing, he's saying it wrong. Other CEOs are never controversial idiots.

3. Mitoo Bobsworth

CEO

Chief Excremental Orator?

4. raving angry loony

He really said this? "It's not really about asking for a raise, but knowing and having faith that the system will give you the right raise,"

What is he, so divorced from reality that he actually believes this drivel? Or so misogynist that he thinks just women should believe that drivel? Either way, he's a fucking idiot.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>What is he, so divorced from reality that he actually believes this drivel? Or so misogynist that he thinks just women should believe that drivel? Either way, he's a fucking idiot.

Quit your current employer, honestly ... there are employers that value your talents and efforts.

1. DropBear
        Facepalm

Fuck these people.

Quit your current employer, honestly ... there are employers that value your talents and efforts.

Are there? I have only heard tales... and frankly, the ones I've seen so far all regarded employees as some sort of nearly-human minions, expendable sentient chimps or something; some of them actually expressed apparently honest perplexity as to why we withdraw our salaries the minute we get them (hint: what's left after paying last month's bills is barely enough for another month of food - but that's an alien concept for them).

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Fuck these people.

Exactly, dropbear. Might as well look for a unicorn or play the lotto as you'll have a better chance at those than finding an employer who really does value solid, quality work. The lucky few who are have no idea how sheltered their life is.

That said, I think AC was being sarcastic.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

"What is he, so divorced from reality that he actually believes this drivel?"

No, he's the guy who is outright lying.

5. Mark 85

On the bright side.

At least he didn't toss a chair or two.

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Coat

Re: On the bright side.

There's a tosser joke in there somewhere.

6. Gray
    Devil

Disrespect our corporate masters?

Not surprising that Nadella should give voice to an American corporate premise: "It's not really about asking for a raise, but knowing and having faith that the system will give you the right raise."

A brazen request for a pay raise is prima facie disrespect towards one's corporate employer and a demonstrable failure of trust in the American corporate system of performance and rewards. In short, such an unwarranted request is a stain upon one's team loyalty. Team success is possible only when all team players adhere to team standards!

Be ashamed and get back to work.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Disrespect our corporate masters?

Been there, actually heard this.

7. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Yeah, but...

Yeah, I mean, you don't want to go around constantly asking for raises. But, some places if you don't ask for a raise, *you don't get a raise*. If there isn't something structured like quarterly reviews, or some bosses that keep on top of things informally, the pay rate is put into the payroll system, the hours are tallied up and a check's printed and mailed out. The boss may be busy with day-to-day operations and the topic just will never come up. I do have a neighbor that finally asked his employer for a raise after like 5 years, the boss simply hadn't realised what his pay (set 5 or 6 years ago) was, he was like "That's what you're getting? Damn" and he got a nice raise.

1. Johan Bastiaansen

Re: Yeah, but...

My experience, after working nearly 15 years for a company, I never got a raise. I was in sales and though the sales targets where raised regularly, I still outperformed them. For 2 years in a row I was on a roll so I nearly got an average income. That made some people really nervous so a new and very complex bonus system was introduced and it would nearly wipe out my bonus.

I held them to the labor contract and was fired.

So that's what karma did for me.

Oh, and I got a couple of teary emails after I got a lawyer and sued them for the bonus they owed me.

1. Fair Dinkum

Re: Yeah, but...

Same here. It is not karma that did it to you though (and many others here) but dirty greedy lying bastards like that Microsoft waste of oxygen.

I think IT is the most interting occupation in the world, but the wrong kind of people are in management.

Wasn"t always like that.. I'm pushing 50 now and looking forward to retirement, bloody shame.that is.

8. Jos
    Happy

Just for fun.

Don't shoot me. Here's Jim Jefferies on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5fi7lmlQmM

From 6m:36s...

Enjoy your weekend later :-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Noes!

He offended the wimmenz! And a room full of wishful thinkers at that too..

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704415104576250672504707048

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh Noes!

No he offended hard working people who deserve what they're owed.

Some companies will happily rip the piss out of their employees when it comes to paying them, if you don't ask you don't get. He's basically acting like some dark satanic mill owner from the 1700s, telling employees that they're lucky they get paid and to shut up and put up and if they pray really, really hard they might get a few crumbs from the corporate table!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"He's basically acting like some dark satanic mill owner from the 1700s, telling employees that they're lucky they get paid "

The twenty-first century phrase is " be glad you have a job".

I got a seventy cent an hour raise last year, that is not counting the benefits cuts.

1. Fatman

The twenty-first century phrase is " be glad you have a job" "we have to cut costs in order to increase shareholder value".

FTFY!!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

the real wow

is that he said sorry, straight away, and without self-justifying weasel words. Not many CEOs like that around...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: the real wow

He's new.

2. Lallabalalla
      Flame

Re: the real wow

No he didn't - he claimed to have "said it wrong", not that "it" was wrong. Then he put the onus on "the industry" to put things right instead of taking responsibility to do this himself as head of a huge corporation. He's a weasel dickwad CEO same as the rest of them.

I call shill.

11. Christoph

"I believe men and women should get equal pay for equal work. "

I believe that it's insane to suggest anything else.

Mind you, theoretically the bosses should be paid by the amount of work they actually do compared to the amount the employees do. And that's not likely to happen any time soon!

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

> "I believe men and women should get equal pay for equal work. "

> I believe that it's insane to suggest anything else.

Sure, but in the real world how do you do that? First there's a problem with the metrics. Do you consider yearly pay, per-hour, bi-monthly, on the results (per-project)? With each method comes caveats, as not everyone works the same number of hours, results can depend on your work and abilities but also on a good serving of luck, etc. Then there's the fact that in a lot of places pay calculation depends on your overall experience and on your seniority in the place, meaning that things get hairy pretty quick if you're trying to compare pay between 2 people of different ages and/or who weren't hired at the same time. So the only way really is to make it retroactive, i.e. in the end of the, say, year, you crunch the numbers, with a lot of equivalent-this and compensatory-that (to account for holidays, number of worked hours, position in the local food chain, performance reviews etc) and you can tell if you've been paying fat black redhead women less than fit blond white men (or any other 2 categories that you may want to compare).

Then you can retroactively make adjustment "attention all blue-eyed staff, please head to your local HR office immediately for a 2% pay cut. Thank you for your cooperation" or sumfin' (OK, not really, what you would do is tweak the raises for the upcoming year I guess, and hope that things will equilibrate).

Not as easy-peasy as it may seem at first.

1. Lamont Cranston
        Boffin

re: Not as easy-peasy as it may seem at first.

It's a lot easier than your making it sound. Established pay-scales, and regular reviews to ensure that employees have the opportunity to progress up their pay-scales. 2 people, doing the same job, will be on the same pay-scale, at points determined by their respective experience/performance.

(Icon is sarcastic - this really isn't rocket science)

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
          Boffin

Re: re: Not as easy-peasy as it may seem at first.

> 2 people, doing the same job, will be on the same pay-scale, at points determined by their respective experience/performance.

Yes, they are on the same payscale. It would be illegal to have separate ones. The point being argued here is, is the "fluffy factor" (experience/performance/etc recognition) evaluated and taken into account the same way. And that's where the icon is NOT sarcastic.

1. Lamont Cranston

@Pierre

Unless employers aren't sure what they're hiring people for, recognition and performance measuring shouldn't be all that difficult - appraisals can be a pain in the arse, but they're not really as arduous as we all think. I don't think experience isn't relevant to remuneration, rather it's taken into account during the recuitment phase.

Maybe I'm just lucky to be working in the public sector, where we have clearly defined (and published) pay scales, and tend to progress up them in an orderly fashion?

2. A Twig

@Lamont

It isn't that simple - while one employee and another have the same job "on paper" according to HR - I have yet to ever be in a place of work where two people with identical job titles and descriptions have the same responsibilities and levels of effort required to carry them out.

Take a pub for example - two barmen (or barwomen - no gender bias implied). One works two quiet 3 hour afternoon shifts every week. The other works 5 - 11 on a Friday night. The effort, challenges and responsibilities are going to be very different, and the opportunity cost of their leisure time they are giving up is different.

According to your simple example, if they both started at the company at the same time, doing the same hours and are doing a respective "good job" - should they get paid the same?

1. Lamont Cranston

@ A Twig

No, if the effort, challenges and responsibilities are going to be very different, I'd set this out in the job descriptions, and set the two positions at different points on the pay scale. They may start at the same company, at the same time, working the same number of hours, and both do a "good job," but they would not be working the same job. It might be as simple as paying a higher hourly rate for the unsociable hours of the evening shift.

I'm going to regret this when someone pulls out the relevant piece of legislation that shows my solution to be somehow illegal, but it's surely a fine principle?

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: @ A Twig

> but it's surely a fine principle?

It certainly is, but that's where the trouble kick in regarding gender equality: for the end of the evening shift, say, starting at half past pissed, you may want to have more bartenders of the burly, hairy-chested type as opposed to the squishy curvy type, for obvious reasons (including the squishy type not wanting to actually get squished)... and you're not paying the same wages... see the problem here?

Of course there's a very valid reason to begin with, but from outside it may look like you're willingly paying women less than men. That's where you have to put in all these compensatory-this and equivalent-that which makes the calculations that much more complicated, as I was saying (although I did not have this particular problem in mind at the time, I was thinking more along the line of out-of-hours work and such).

2. Tom 35

Re: @ A Twig

Yes, that's not paying different people different rates, it's paying different rates for different shifts.

I worked at a place that paid higher for the over night shift even though there was not much work, and it was boring as hell just because no one wanted to work that shift.

Now if you want to only hire men for the expensive shift, and women for the cheap shift...

2. sabroni Silver badge

@ ElReg!comments!Pierre

However much you may talk it up, it's difficult to see how having two separate pay grades for men and woman can be less complicated than having one for both sexes. Sounds like nonsense to me.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: @ ElReg!comments!Pierre

> having two separate pay grades for men and woman

WTF are you talking about?

2. oddie

I believe that it's insane to suggest anything else.

-I see where you are going with your statement; that we shouldnt fall over ourselves to compliment actions that are common sense and expected, but sometimes the obvious must be vocalised.

Especially if there are people who don't think its insane 'to suggest othervise', if no one challenges your views you don't think about them, you take them for granted.

3. Robert Helpmann??
      Joke

Performance-based Proportional Pay

...theoretically the bosses should be paid by the amount of work they actually do compared to the amount the employees do.

The are paid on that basis, it is just not a simple proportional relationship.

4. Jagged

- I agree. The problems arise when people believe that everyone should get the same pay for doing the same JOB.

5. Fatman

RE "Hard" working bosses

Mind you, theoretically the bosses should be paid by the amount of work they actually do compared to the amount the employees do.

If that were ever to be applied to the sales weasels at my WROK PALCE, then some of them would have to take on second jobs (too much time out on the golf course, out playing tennis, etc).

12. jake Silver badge

The mind boggles.

Apparently Redmond STILL doesn't have politically correct mentors for the upper management. I'd be appalled if I were pushing MS kit ... but at the moment, I find it a bit of a giggle :-)

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: The mind boggles.

The irony is that when he posted that idiotic 'I synthesized your job losses' email, everyone was all 'Oh he had to sound like an uber-plonker because lawyer rewritings because teh US employment law is teh complicated.'

Now it turns out - nope, he's just another mouth-breathing C-suite Gollum.

13. John P

I see where he was going with it, but he did say it very badly.

I think what he was trying to say is that you shouldn't need to ask for a raise, but the company you work for should reward you for your hard work, regardless of whether you are male or female.

In my current job, I was going to ask for a raise at my last appraisal but my boss beat me to it and gave me a raise before I had to ask.

I realise this isn't how things work in the vast majority of companies, but it is really how it should be which I thing is what he was trying to get at.

As it is, it just sounded like "don't ask for a raise dear, you'll get one when your boss thinks you're worth it", which has a much more sinister tone to it!

1. Anonymous Bullard
      Facepalm

Why ask for more money when you can just get "karma" instead?

1. Fatman

RE: "Why ask for more money when you can just get "karma" instead?"

Because karma doesn't pay the fucking bills!

I can't go to my local electric utility and pay them in 'karma'; they want ("borrowing" from Jackson Browne) 'legal tender'. Duke Puke energy doesn't give a shit about 'karma'. (See below:)

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/energy/duke-energy-says-it-erred-in-meter-malfunction-that-nearly-cost-company/2197835

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2014/10/07/duke-energy-misreported-credit-information-thousands-hoosiers/16864605/

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/duke-energy-gltich-may-hurt-your-credit-score

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The correct term should be: "People should get paid depending on their work, regardless of sex"

For example, if my male employee was better than the woman employee - should the woman worker get the same?

The correct response should be: "Why are you stating their sex?"

Let me add my little dilema... I have two workers. Mr X and Mrs Y - Mr X is marginally better (experience, attitude, etc.), but I feel pressured to either mark him down, or mark Mrs Y up in order to give her "equal pay".

1. DanDanDan

Gender agnostic is fine - but!

> The correct term should be: "People should get paid depending on their work, regardless of sex"

Agreed, but you have to realise that there *is* a gender pay gap and the only way to address it is to investigate gender as a factor to see *why*. It'd be great if we lived in a world where there were no biases, but that's not here yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Gender agnostic is fine - but!

In which direction do you think the gap exists?

The median wage for part time women is greater than for men. I am not sure why.

The median wage for young working women is higer than for men and the unemployment rate amongst men is higher. This is probably because of the huge difference between men and women in terms of educational achievement. Despite girls massively out performing boys there are loads of special projects and support for girls and essentially none for boys. This is amazing when you think there was an overt policy of helping girls to overcome the education gap when it was the other way around but abslutely nothing has been done to help boys now the problem is reversed and the extra assistance for girls has remained in place.

Amongst older workers there is markedly higher pay for men but they work longer hours and have longer experince than their female peers and date from a period when male educational experience was greater than for women.

It is very far from clear that there is any systematic gnder bias in wages. What is very clear is there is a huge systematic bias against men in education that is designed in. This is stronger the earlier the age group.

There are huge differences in career choices between men and women and this has a marked effect for older workers.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Gender agnostic is fine - but!

@dandandan

Checkout the Office of National Stat;stics youtube channel it explains why the apparent pay gap looks big....

Basically the average (median usually) salary for women is less because they are more likely to work part time and leave the workforce earlier (and retire earlier). This explanation ns the bulk of differences in 'average pay'.

As for not getting a pay rise unless you ask for it, well ,welcome to real life for all of us.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: Mr X is marginally better

How? More testicles?

15. Zippy's Sausage Factory

This should be a career-ending move.

Just saying.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This should be a career-ending move.

Don't be so harsh - it's not his fault his PR team wasn't there to filter him in real time.

16. AsherGoldbergstein

The gender pay gap is a myth. It's illegal to pay two people who do the same job differently (Equal Pay Act of 1963).

Do you know how they come up with the "77c for every $1 a man makes" line? They take every man working full time in the USA vs every woman working full time in the USA.

This obviously does not account for women leaving and re-entering the workforce for reasons such as family life, child birth etc. Then you have the industries women join, favouring nursing/social work and cleaning vs the highly male jobs such as being a doctor, engineer or I.T professional. There has been countless studies and articles dismissing the so called 'Gender pay gap' but it's still parroted by feminists and low-information voters even though the evidence does not stand up and when they're presented with that evidence they dismiss it as 'misogyny' and ten other buzzwords to silence you so they can continue the ridiculous charade.

“there’s a disparity not because female engineers are making less than male engineers at the same company with comparable experience. The disparity exists because a female social worker makes less than a male engineer.”

The wage gap myth - http://www.ncpa.org/pdfs/ba392.pdf

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/01/no-women-don-t-make-less-money-than-men.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2012/04/16/its-time-that-we-end-the-equal-pay-myth/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/christina-hoff-sommers/wage-gap_b_2073804.html

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/05/the-biggest-myth-about-the-gender-wage-gap/276367/

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-gender-pay-gap-is-a-complete-myth/

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303532704579483752909957472

1. disgruntled yank

Oh?

I don't doubt that the gap has been talked up somewhat beyond its merits, but illegality is very different from non-existence.

17. Johan Bastiaansen

Karma for me, nothing for you

There's only one person on this planet who believes Nadella didn't negotiate his paycheck when he became CEO of MS, and that person is Nadella. It was karma. And that's why Nadella is making the money he is, and you're making the money you are. It is karma and that makes it alright.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Karma for me, nothing for you

"You're poor because you deserve to be poor" philosophy dominates UK, US, and Japanese labor markets.

18. Terry 6 Silver badge

Incompetence

Even if the man is a hairy knuckled Neanderthal, or a total waste of air, as some here would consider him to be, he still ought to have been prepared for this session, known what the issues were and been prepared to give an appropriate response. Even without a PR team to support him. It's what any senior manager ( and indeed any competent junior manager) would be expected to be able to manage. It's called professionalism.

1. Johan Bastiaansen

Re: Incompetence

Agreed, he was speaking at the "Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing" event and he didn't see that question coming? Or he did and that was his answer after giving it some thought?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better to switch

I've never successfully requested a raise.

I've had a couple that were effectively cost of living increases, one that was restructuring bonus into base pay and once a rate increase on contract renewal back to the original rate I signed up on after an all hands rate cut.

Other than that nada.

On the other hand I've had up to 50% increase by tactically switching jobs.

20. Robert McCracken
    Meh

Having visited the IP Expo on Wednesday I have to say I'm very disappointed with how companies behaved. It seemed that only the pretty ones in the sales team were allowed out and made to wear the shorted/tightest skirts they could find. For any women looking to work in IT its a bad example and I can see that mentality being applied to the pay. Too the naughty step IT industry.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Skirts

Re: It seemed that only the pretty ones in the sales team were allowed out and made to wear the shorted/tightest skirts they could find."

Probably handpicked for looks, which seriously begs the question of who it is they are trying to attract.

Their webpage says "CIOs, Heads of IT, Technology Experts.....".

Working on the assumption that female CIOs etc aren't going to be too impressed, and that the businesses who hire the short skirted sales teams know what will sell there is an implication that those CIOs etc aren't the best people to be attending these events. If a short skirt is enough to cloud their judgement it suggests that the judgement isn't very good to start with.

Compare this to similar trade events for, say, Education professionals. It's a mixture of Power Dressing and teacherly brown jackets doing the selling. But then the Head Teachers, Heads of department and education experts are basically competent professionals who are there to find stuff out.

21. Jim 59

Dear Register

Please cool it with the UPPER CASE HEADLINES. Just the view of a fan.

22. earl grey
    Facepalm

Where's Home when you need him?

D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH D'OH

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

reminded me of a quip from Reginald D. Hunter

"If I was a woman, I wouldn't be insulted by words such as 'Bitch', 'slut' and 'cunt'. I'd be insulted by words like 'we're going to pay you less than a man.' "

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Women are paid less on average for the same job because they are more likely to be hired with lower skills and experience!

1. Peter Simpson 1
      WTF?

Women are paid less on average for the same job because they are more likely to be hired with lower skills and experience!

Citation, please?

But, once they're doing the job, they should still be paid less than a man?

I think not.

25. chivo243 Silver badge
    Flame

Just another douche

What a dick... Stupid dick in fact. It's ok to think things, but to say them out loud to the wrong audience just proves said douche bag doesn't deserve the new found riches he has. Might as well hire Homer Simpson to run MS!

26. peter_dtm
    Alert

Equal pay - it would be good if it was

Lets take a well publicised real world example

Wimbledon Tennis Final

After years of screaming & shouting the proze money for both men's & women's finals are the same.

except this is a very good example of why it is so hard to get this right.

Women play 3 sets

Men play 5

And they play that through all the rounds; so by the time a person gets to the Final; the male has been vastly underpaid; all because many people seem to confuse SAME with EQUALL VALUE

Which also explains why there is a massive failure to understand the importence of experience in SOME jobs; taking a year off; needs more than a year to regain the lost experience & exposure; even 3 months off can cost more than a year's experience in some fast moving industries.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

27. Peter Simpson 1
    Childcatcher

If you think you deserve a raise, you should just ask.

Better yet, your HR department shoulld continually monitor the pay of males and females in similar positions with similar time in that position and verify that there is no gender-based disparity.

// Hah! Like that would ever happen.

28. Vociferous

Corporate speak

Nadella is the most fluent corporate speaker I've ever heard. Armies of executive coaches cry themselves to sleep over how he can effortlessly use phrases like "harmonize dual usage to drive productivity in our innovation agenda" as if they actually meant something.

But as this controversy shows, his peerless command of Corporate has come at a cost -- I don't think Nadella can speak Human any more. He needs a wetware filter between his Corporate excellence and the dual-using consumers.

29. ecofeco Silver badge

Faith?!

Only a moron (or the very lucky few these days) would have any faith in a company to give them a raise.

That includes both men and women.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Watch his answer for yourself

1:35:05

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/10060267/events/3447060

The video can be very slow to start.

1. Kiwi
      Joke

Re: Watch his answer for yourself

You BASTARD!

How DARE you bring facts and reality into such a discussion!

I must say I felt there's a lot more to it than the media was saying. Probably the guy was relatively innocent (he still works for MS so probably deserves a slow painful death) and the media was taking things out of context, twisting them, and then putting their own bullshit spin on it.

Thanks for giving me a reason to believe less nasty things about this guy! Now I just have to believe them because he's the MS CEO.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like