back to article NSA spying will shatter the internet, Silicon Valley bosses warn

Top Silicon Valley execs have warned that the NSA's continued surveillance of innocent people will rupture the internet – which is bad news for business. Oh, and bad news for hundreds of thousands of workers, and America's moral authority, too. The suits were speaking at a roundtable organized by Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably not

"Senator Wyden says Congress must act to reassure the world"

And hows that going to work exactly? Its usually when they open their collective mouths that the wheels really start to come off. As a badge of trust "As said by US Congress" is about the least reassuring thing imaginable, about as useful as Chamberlains much maligned 'piece of paper'.

1. Mark 85

Re: Probably not

Your probably right. But it might be a start. Especially if the two parties could actually agree on a clear and relatively un-complex legislation that is for the people and not for industry or intelligence community interests. But, as everything is now, dysfunctional and total untrustworthy don't even begin to describe the US government as it's way beyond that. And we voters are to blame.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There are too many people with thoroughly entrenched positions (or their own vested interests) for the two parties to find a unified position that will fit the bill. The haemorrhaging of money from the US economy might bring them to it in the end, but I think it will take a good while and a lot of pain before it comes to that. In effect what it would require is a fairly comprehensive cleaning up of US politics and an almost wholesale change in those elected. In short, unlikely in my lifetime on current evidence.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed - it is the same congress which has confirmed and reaffirmed every time that the rest of the world has no rights and should bend over. THAT is the underlying problem - US has no respect for any form of international law and any respect for other's countries sovereignity and enshrines it in its legal system and law enforcement.

I do not see the Congress acting on this any time soon. If ever

1. Coussa

Exactly!!!! The most disturbing part in the entire #Snowden, #PRISM, #NSA scandal, is the US' complete lack of respect for countries and laws and integrity of innocent people outside the US!!!!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"outside the US!"

totally redundant qualification there

2. Cipher

I take heart in the old saying...

...the internet routes around damage

Now that we know what the NSA and the 5 eyes are up to, people are working on solutions.

We know they intercept kit and modify it, so people examine said kit.

The use of Tails Live CDs at wifi hotspots can be effective.

Apple and Google are making good moves.

More people today know what a "warrant canary" is...

We can win this fight. If we fight...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I take heart in the old saying...

Its definitely 'winnable'. It's unusual to have what amounts to a political problem where a great many very motivated, influential, resourceful and exceptionally smart people are unequivocally on the 'right' side of the argument. It will take a good deal of time, but in the end I suspect it will be the technology that forces a sea change in the politics.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. streaky

Guise

"Governments could start enacting protectionist trade laws under the guise of safeguarding privacy and deterring spies"

I don't see a guise, this seems like a perfectly legitimate thing to do.

1. Rol

Re: Guise

Ah! Yes. We could sell the idea that the internet is for all intent and purpose foreign soil and beyond their control by pointing out it will be very easy to start imposing punitive taxes on a "country's" exports that isn't signatory to any trade agreements.

1. streaky

Re: Guise

We're talking about trade rules that already exist - in theory. EU citizen's data is supposed to be kept to a certain standard and generally inside the EU where equal protections can't be afforded. Equal protections can't be afforded to EU citizen's data in the USA and with US companies operated from within Europe so storing data on say.. for example.. AWS or Microsoft's cloud is probably illegal in light of recent cases (even when it's stored in say, Ireland).

This is precisely why Microsoft et al are going apeshit at their own government.

How much the EU is paying attention is another matter, but the law seems fairly clear to me - it's entirely possible for cases to end up at the ECJ over this extraterritorial "we don't give a shit about EU/Irish law" stuff the US courts are pulling.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NSA: Sure, we'll stop!

We'll stop you from being able to tell that we are spying on the Internet.

6. Eddy Ito

Does it strike anyone else as odd that the same guy who just said "The simplest outcome [of NSA spying] is that we end up breaking the internet," at the roundtable had previously said;

"If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place,"

"We know where you are. We know where you've been. We can more or less know what you're thinking about."

"We need a [verified] name service for people, governments will demand it."

Schmidt's hypocrisy dial must go to eleven.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whereas ...

... massive, systematic grabs of personal data by commercial organisations - many of whom are based i the USA - is quite OK? I suppose it's just a coincidence that the organisations that undertake personal data collection, tracking and exploitation on the largest scale are those complaining the loudest.

1. solo
      Coat

Re: Whereas ...

"...grabs of personal data by commercial organisations.....- is quite OK?..."

Sure. They are examining every pic of yours, every keystroke you put, every sound you make, just to improve the user experience. So that, it could help you know what you want to search today, or what you want to type. That is Artificial Intelligence. There is so much ado (research) about nothing.

8. Neoc

Too late USA.

No amount of "we're gonna be good now, honest" is going to allay the fears that what your TLOs* had been doing in the shadows won't still be happening in the shadows regardless of your public contrition.

*Three-Lettered Organisations.

9. Version 1.0 Silver badge

all your base belong us

"US companies with large numbers of customers in overseas territories therefore would have to build data centers in each market"

The US is currently making the argument to Microsoft that if the datacenter is owned by a US company then it's subject to US law even if it's in another country - and the company must hand over the data.

In another article today about the Silk Road the FBI is taking the position that it's fair game to hack - without a warrant - into any server that it suspects might be of interest to them IF that server is outside the US.

1. Cipher

Re: all your base belong us

The NSA provides the Russians/Chinese/Iranians/Whomever with legitimacy.

Goose - Gander...

Brilliant way to lose any semblance of "Moral High Ground." Just fucking brilliant...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In other news,

Dihydrogen monoxide revealed as world's wettest liquid. Film at 11.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Respect!

"Facebook's Colin Stretch added that having overseas data centers would cause massive privacy problems of their own: governments that don’t respect citizens' privacy would be within reach of large amounts of data."

Funny thing is that is why I wouldn't use a cloud service based in the US. Too close to the US government and it's been proved over and over again that they don't respect citizens' privacy. (Both foreign and their own.)

Anonymous because I'm a nobody.

12. Gray
    Thumb Down

Rules are easily side-stepped

The US has had FIFA* laws on the books for some years now, at the federal, state, and local levels. It has proven exceptionally easy for government officials to evade, obstruct, delay or otherwise frustrate attempts to get access to public documents under the law. Worst offenders in most cases have proven to be US alphabet-letter agencies, where a released document will be totally blacked out under claims of protecting sensitive sources or processes.

So when it is suggested that "[what] is needed ... is a law that ensures the full and transparent disclosure" ... however unlikely it is that such a law could be enacted, it's quite certain that it will be neither obeyed nor enforced. Just like FIFA transparency requirements.

*FIFA = Freedom of Information Act

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Joke

Re: Rules are easily side-stepped

Oh, I thought FIFA meant First In First Aaat (if you are from Essex at any rate)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silver lining

Let them create their own Internet. If US government cannot respect privacy of own citizens (gaze them down from above the rule of the law), then what is wrong with the Russians or even Chinese. At least we will have healthy competition.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong problem

It's kinda cute to see how they are trying to distract people with pointing at the NSA.

The NSA is NOT the problem. They are basically overpaid hackers with a massive budget (like any other government spy outfit such as GCHQ) and they are by definition illegal the moment they operate outside the US (that the US says it's OK has no effect). Your defence strategy for them is basically the same as for any other unwanted intrusion, provided you add man management and staff screening to the process.

The problem is the fantastic mess of laws they have that allow practically any official to walk into your preferred US service provider and demand access to your data without much in the way of probably cause and due process and no restriction on dragnet style surveillance. Even if said US company has servers abroad, as far as US law is concerned, if the HQ is in the US they are obliged to cough up that data too.

Now before anyone starts telling me that that will be hard if it's all encrypted: if you as a US company have provided that encryption, you may be forced to either break it or stop providing the service. The "unbreakable crypto" argument has actually not yet been tested in court as a valid defence, and until there is a firmly set precedent on that I would not touch a US based provider with a barge pole.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wrong problem

I find it surprising that so few non US owned providers, using non US storage etc, don't make more capital out of this, since for them the extra kudos is an absolute freebie and there's plenty of evidence more people, as individuals and businesses, are actively seeking to avoid any US connection for their data and services. I know I certainly am.

There's no guarantee ownership or facility location won't cross the atlantic at some point in the future, but its a starting point, and I think a selling point.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Wrong problem

I find it surprising that so few non US owned providers, using non US storage etc, don't make more capital out of this, since for them the extra kudos is an absolute freebie and there's plenty of evidence more people, as individuals and businesses, are actively seeking to avoid any US connection for their data and services. I know I certainly am.

There's no guarantee ownership or facility location won't cross the atlantic at some point in the future, but its a starting point, and I think a selling point.

It may surprise you, but outside technical circles, few people even have the ability to detect this. There is a Godawful amount of BS floating around in the tech world when it comes to protecting information, and I know some well known names are actively engaged in deceptive practices to prevent people from noticing just how exposed they are.

I just had a rather long conversation with an otherwise well informed investor in Geneva who thought he was using a trustworthy service. 30 seconds later I gave him hard evidence that that provider was at best sloppy, at worst actively deceptive in how it protected his privacy. It takes a special skill set to discover the problems, and despite Snowden, few people are aware just how exposed they really are and how aggressive US operators are trying to own this space before EU companies really wake up to the opportunity. I can understand why as well: there is a SERIOUS amount of money at stake, so they're throwing everything at it.

I predicted in January that 2014 would be the Year of Privacy Bullshit - so far, I've not been wrong..

15. Decade
    Pirate

Internet companies don't understand ownership

The real issue is that I should have control over my data and metadata, preferably on systems that I control. For Schmidt and Zuck, et al, that's no real worry, because they own their super-invasive cloud systems. It's like how you shouldn't worry about keeping secrets from yourself. I have no ownership stake in Silicon Valley, so I'd rather keep my valuable data to myself.

16. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Interesting observation from the Microsoft lawyer

"What you make on your PC is your property"

This from the company that wanted to control every device connected to your PC to do copyright enforcement, so in effect making every piece of software (and media) "rented," with access revocable.

Remember Silicon Valley, you did this to yourselves

17. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

What a waste of time.

Everyone throws up their arms in disgust at the NSA spying debacle...for all of 5 seconds.

Give it until January when the latest z-list celeb will come out as a peadophile or top themselves over a bad marriage and the plebs will have forgotten all about the NSA picking up what Granny had to have operated on last week! It'll only be the fighters of liberty and the IT crowd who will care about the surveillence that's still going on. Come this time next year it will be business as usual, the PRISM servers will be back up and running again and it'll take another Snowden style leak in 5 years time for the whole cycle to repeat.

Joe Public doesn't give a flying monkey's left bollock about IT type stuff. So long as Angry Birds runs the mobile and tablet, Minecraft works on the PC for little Johnny, Mum and Dad can still do their online banking and use Facebook, and Chloe can still play Call of Duty on the PS4, the non-techie public really don't care that much about this "security stuff" for very long, they have too many other distractions in life to worry about it.

1. Benjol

Re: What a waste of time.

Torn between downvoting for your pessimism, or upvoting because I fear/suspect you're right.

18. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Thumb Up

FTFY

"Congress putting aside party political division to do what was right for American businesses"

Congress putting aside party political division to do what was right for American people.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: FTFY

Does this happen, much or at all?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Friend of mine runs a small-ish company that is growing quite quickly on the back of orders from companies doing business with EU governments that require all work to be done by staff located within the EU and for software/data to stay within the EU.

Of course it will all go titsup if UKIP get their way.

20. itzman

I am going to start sending random encrypted utter nonsense

on a randomly timed script to randomly selected targets.

That should keep the NSA busy for a while.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Australia's new laws are scarier than anything in the USA

"The new bill also allows ASIO to seek just one warrant to access a limitless number of computers on a computer network when attempting to monitor a target, ...this would effectively allow the entire internet to be monitored, as it is a "network of networks" and the bill does not specifically define what a computer network is.

ASIO will also be able to copy, delete, or modify the data held on any of the computers it has a warrant to monitor.

The bill also allows ASIO to disrupt target computers, and use innocent third-party computers not targeted in order to access a target computer.... j

Anyone - including journalists, whistleblowers and bloggers - who "recklessly" discloses "information ... [that] relates to a special intelligence operation" faces up to 10 years' jail.

Any operation can be declared "special" by an authorised ASIO officer

"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Australia's new laws are scarier than anything in the USA

Going on what I've seen in the news over the last thirty years, the primary function of ASIO is kicking down the wrong doors to draw attention away from ASIS. I cannot believe they are as ham-fisted as they appear, so I have to assume they are the magician's assistant.

22. Pascal Monett Silver badge

What's that ? America's moral authority ??

There's none of that left, my good man. Your government has been chipping away at that block for the past half century - aught is left but pebbles now. Only an American can go on about America's moral authority and believe in it.

As for the fear that "small start-ups will not have the ability to operate overseas", I ask : where's the problem ? They're start-ups. When you're small, you start small. Only on the Internet have companies got the habit of considering a world market. Every company that deals with actual goods and/or services knows that expanding overseas is a costly option that can only be realized when success has graced the local operation.

In other words, not going worldwide immediately seems to me to be a pretty good guarantee that, once a company does get to that stage, it has ironed out the kinks in its administrative and production processes. A good thing, in other words.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like