back to article Right, suits off: Windows 10 preview Internet Explorer is here

When it comes to Windows 10, Microsoft has so far spent so much time trying to explain the meaning of a "universal" app you'd be forgiven for missing one piece of news that should have a huge impact of the web - a new version of Internet Explorer. Currently, the development version of Windows 10 does not ship with the new IE ( …

1. benjymous

Oddly, it isn't actually even the newest version of IE11 - the one I have installed here is 11.0.8 whereas the latest version is 11.0.11 (last time I checked)

2. Old Handle
    Trollface

Uh-oh

Since they skipped Win9, won't that make this IE13?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Uh-oh

Unlucky 13? Seems quite appropriate.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A lot of fuss over the FireFox/Chrome download tool.

4. illiad

biiig problem...

many companies use proprietary software, specially tweaked for a specific version of IE..

so a lot of work has to be done to STOP the update!!

1. Skoorb

Re: biiig problem...

Most of the NHS can't move off IE8 because of the required smartcard support provided by a modified client and load of dodgy Java applets.

2. Anonymous Bullard
      Facepalm

Yep.

They've really shot themselves in the foot by making their (older) browsers obscure it's difficult to migrate away from - now people are sticking with IE<=9 for "legacy" apps, and using a proper browser for modern apps. They can't even have multiple versions because IE is baked into the OS.

I find it quite satisfying that their lock-in has back fired spectacularly.

1. BongoJoe

This then could be the sole reason for me not to upgrade. I do a lot of work with Visual Studio 6 because the Real World still uses it. And ths means that my Firefox downloader can't be later than IE9.

What a mess.

1. BongoJoe

I'm curious. Why the downvote?

Have I said something erroneous or does the fact that some of my clients aren't using this latest week's Shiny offending someone?

3. Big-nosed Pengie

A classic case of stupidity being its own punishment.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Heh, in 5th place with 2100+ votes: Use Blink (or other open rendering engine) and start contributing code.

I wonder what their response will be to that?

1. Adam 1

To reintroduce the <blink/> tag?

6. Andy Miller

WebRTC is here

You need to look again at WebRTC. It's in Crome and Firefox stable (and Safari I think), and it is is now usably stable. It is being used right now.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Don't care, won't care

Code to the standards, if IE show it wrong then direct customers to MS Support.

Just kidding - MS never do product support, because they know all the spineless coders and designers out there will do it for them for free. "Oh, no, we better put in an IE work around because our clients are too dumb to use a decent browser". Bah.

8. SVV

Momentous News

As the streets fill with cheering crowds, delerious with excitement at the release of a new version of Internet Explorer, the web enters a state of spooky silence as nothing is being posted anywhere across the globe. Even the Windows Phones (tm) that everyone is carrying are left unfondled as the sheer unbridled joy of being present at the dawn of this new era has tapped in to the primal urge to congregate and celebrate that is innate in humankind.

"The fox is on fire, the chrome is badly tarnished, and only rich gits can afford to go on safari" says the youth rushing out of the gigantic Microsoft Store (tm) that you can find on every high street into the camera of the BBC's "Click Online".

And I woke up and it was only a dream.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like