back to article EU privacy boogeyman unleashed by the very people with boogeyman-slaying weapons

Another day, another report scaremongering about Europe’s big reforms for laws that protect people's personal information. According to a fresh piece of research from Kroll Ontrack and Blancco – experts in data recovery and erasure respectively – 81 per cent of European IT managers surveyed are unfamiliar with the proposed new …

1. Crazy Operations Guy

If your business model requires duping users into giving up information, then maybe your company shouldn't exist in the first place...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See it first hand, it is 'the way' apparently

"They are concerned that asking people to tick a box to opt in to mailing lists, rather than assuming they are happy to opt in unless they specifically opt out, would dramatically reduce the number of possible contacts for fundraisers. “Think of the charities,” seems to be the message to ministers."

I work for a charity, with a fundraising department and was met with glares of near hatred, whenever I highlighted that we weren't doing ourselves any favours by employing unscrupulous tactics like that.

Anon, to reduce my chances of having the "disrepute" conversation, again.

3. Uffish

Opt out/in

Most people with an email account have become immune to mass mailings (be they ever so targeted).

For me, the obnoxious mailers get put into the spam category and the worthy ones get manually deleted after reading the title (it seems more polite to do it that way).

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Opt out/in

I get regular calls from users as to why they are getting spam emails - usually because they signed up for something at a website and didn't notice that the site opted them in...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sow the wind...

... assuming they are happy to opt in unless they specifically opt out

They really should have thought a lot harder over the years about the potential consequences of taking liberties with users data and consent, and ask whether maybe one day there would be a backlash. Well here it is, and thanks to the selfish fucking attitude demonstrated over the years, I doubt they'll find much sympathy for a continuation.

Sending endless material to people who really don't want it always struck me as shortsighted however you look at it; either regulation will catch up with you eventually, or you'll just be added to punters internal blacklist of annoyances and blanked along with the other irritating drivel modern commerce contrives to chuck at us, uninvited.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Big Brother

But whatt out for Call-me-Daves Orwellian "opt in" to *not* being spied upon 27/7

As to cloud suppliers being compliant.....

Aren't most of them in the US and by definitions don't know/care about any other countries laws*?

*And why should they as THE PATRIOT act makes any DP law applied to a US company worthless.

6. Trigonoceps occipitalis

"Think of the Charities"

Is this "think of the children" 2.0 ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Think of the Charities"

More of a plugin than upgrade I think, and this is presumably currently the beta. Theres a whole suite of them planned, to be marketed as DemocracyBlock+ to lobbyists, politicians, businesses and law enforcement. Popular, I'd imagine.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like