back to article Splitters! First HP's cut in two, now it's Symantec’s turn – report

Multiple reports say Symantec is thinking of splitting itself up into separate security and storage businesses. Symantec bought Veritas for a massive $13.5bn in 2004, promising synergies between its existing security business and Veritas’ backup and storage management software. The synergies didn’t appear and Symantec's …

1. AndrueC Silver badge
  2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I imagine that there will be a few more pretty soon, there has to be a money reason (tax?) at hand else why go through all the paperwork?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If HP wanted to buy EMC...

Wouldn't buying Veritas help them leapfrog EMC to the top of the storage market?

Is Symantec trying to make it look nice for a sale?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If HP wanted to buy EMC...

...and then the Symantec PC security part would be a good fit with the HP Ink PC & printer company, and we'd end up with Hewlett-Symantec and Veritas-Packard.

4. Someone Else Silver badge
    Meh

They said that?

Symantec bought Veritas for a massive $13.5bn in 2004, promising synergies between its existing security business and Veritas’ backup and storage management software. [emphasis added]

Damn! I don't follow such stuff, but had I known the "powers that be" used that phrase to describe the merger, I'd have shorted their stock in a New York minute, and be sitting on a beach sipping umbrella drinks right now.

5. Kev99 Silver badge

"However, security revenues have been impacted by the rise of tablets, which don’t use it,..."

Wait a few days and tablets will be attacked just as badly as PCs and "smart" phones. The moment someone connects to the internet, they're vulnerable.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any chance...

...they could split off any of the other products they bought then promptly screwed up?

1. psychonaut

Re: Any chance...

Like pgp?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unlocking the hidden value.

Way to go Mikie Brown and company for trying again to unlock the hidden value. Anyone remember Quantum's split into two companies (DSS tape) and (QNTM disk) orchestrated by Mr. Brown ?

That dog didn't hunt very well and took a profitible business with billions in revenue and turned it into the pathetic quantum of today that can't even pimp themselves off to a private equity firm.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like