back to article So long, Rory: AMD board names Lisa Su president and CEO

AMD president and CEO Rory Read has stepped down, effective immediately, to be succeeded by fellow AMD exec Lisa Su. Read, who has served as AMD's chief exec since August 2011, will stay on with the company in an advisory role, but only through the end of 2014. "I am grateful to have had the opportunity to lead such a …

1. rav

Read falls on his sword....

what did AMD screw up now? Feldman left 4 months ago. ARM Opteron must be a mess.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

It's nice to see...

...a CEO of a Tech company that has the background so she can understand what the hell people are on about, with resorting to crayons and pie charts.

Many of the big tech companies were founded this way, but now seem to be run by those with a MBA or Finance background.

1. Bryan Hall

Re: It's nice to see...

Exactly my reaction. Wow, she's an actual engineer. How did that happen? :-)

Good for them, there yet may be hope for AMD.

1. Sgt. Pinback

Re: It's nice to see...

Same here, totes amazed a boffin is going to be running the show. I was prematurely mourning Rory before reading his replacement's CV. I liked that Rory guy though, he had a dreamy name, made me write words like totes (sorry).

AMD have some really interesting products across a broad and *"very sane" collection of different markets, Lisa looks like she can give them as reasonable a chance as a company could want - whilst avoiding the harvard-lackingethicsandimaginationTM-downsizeandacquisitions-tard style of CEO.

(think recent HP or maybe MS CEOs if you're not sure what I mean by that)

Good luck to Lisa leading AMD into the fiery crucible.

I like Lisa's short-term chances of success too.

AMD have quite a few bets going around the place and most are looking realistic and nicely sellable in 2015, it would be weird if at least one of them didn't pay off for the company. I guess the video console coup is the first big one outside of the consumer/corp x86 world, APU success may come when stuff like the Steambox hit the stores.

*very sane ie. think the opposite of pretty much anything Cisco acquired/tried to start through the mid-2000's

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Congrats to Lisa Su

IME she walks the talk and will bring good leadership to AMD and top products to consumers. Rory did what needed to be done to re-organize AMD. That's his specialty, not leading the engineers.

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

"bachelor's, master's, and doctorate degrees in electrical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology"

Dang. She could kick my ass all the way 'round the block. That's a true boffin. I'm surprised she didn't get passed over for being "overqualified"

I wonder how HP would be doing if they had someone qualified to run the company too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like