back to article Big racks? Pah. Storage boffins have made a BIONIC BRAIN material

Research boffins at RMIT university in Melbourne have demonstrated a non-volatile memory at nanometer scale using memristive effects – and suggest it could help build a bionic brain. The team, led by Dr Sharath Sriram, built a stacked structure using perovskite oxide with designed-in defects in its chemistry to demonstrate a …

1. Dr. Mouse

While the synapse-like behaviour is an exciting prospect, I just want to see Memristors in storage/memory products.

They promise so much, but look like fairy dust. They have been promised as the answer to all our problems for so long.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Melbourne Mechatronics and Mechanical Men

"Some of our problems" is good enough.

Just looking at the morning paper, the only solution to "all our problems" is HUGE METEOR.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

Re: Melbourne Mechatronics and Mechanical Men

I think you forgot the "S" after "METEOR".

1. Crisp

Re: I think you forgot the "S" after "METEOR".

I guess it depends on how big it is.

2. Spaller

Wait, I see it! Just over there next to our old pals Fusion and Hydrogen Economy!

3. Anomalous Cowshed

As a word...

Doesn't 'perovskite' sound like 'Peroxide' in Russian?

1. Elmer Phud

Re: As a word...

No

2. FunkyEric

Re: As a word...

Only if you're not Russian

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. perovskite

Hmm.

Does ST:TNG count as prior art?

"How have you resolved the problem of resistance in the neural filaments" ? "Measure of a Man"

Also, my own back-of-the-envelope work with neural nets suggests something along these lines, in fact I sent a copy of the basic layout for a positronic neural net based on EHTSC materials and shifting oxygen ions around to program the net pathways.

In my system it used superconductors due to the increase in efficiency and other constraints.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For your consideration

http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?163221.0

Needless to say, this is worth a look if nothing else as it could prove prior art exists.

Not sure if there is any official record of when this was posted but it has to be at least five months ago.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like