back to article EU's super-commish for tech: Geo-blocks on cat vids, music – NOT FAIR

Andrus Ansip, the new EU super-commissioner for all things digital, says he will work to completely abolish geo-blocking of media in Europe – and urged telcos to get on with pushing out high-speed mobile broadband. What started out as a relatively boring and predictable hearing before the European Parliament on Monday took a …

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

He says all the right things. So either he's lying, or he's about to get whacked. Nobody that good ever makes it to positions of power in government.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The great things about Andrus

was that he not only understood the questions (some of which possibly came by twitter) but that he was able to give reasonable, in fact BOLD answers. He seemed pro-privacy, which obviously won't go down to well with you Cheltenhamshire based people. Will he get dealt with in a soft or hard manner?

Soft: More on Andrus's interview by the MEPs at europeanvoice.com

Hard: More on the perfect murder of a foreign politician by - well, I wonder who could have done that? was his meta-data collated in the UK??

ps. it does seem that the new Commission will be voted-in, but only after some re-organisation of the portfolios, then it's over to events...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pot - kettle

It's always amusing to watch politicians when it comes to implementing policies in their own bureaucracy that they lambast others for not doing. Putting every service online is apparently cheap, quick and easy when it's somebody else that's squealing about complexity or cost; when it's the European Commission there's no timetable, and doubtless never will be.

1. Matt 21

Re: Pot - kettle

...or perhaps he's just a sensible chap who realises you can't just go into a new job and announce cuts with a timetable before you've even had the chance to look at the detail of what they do.

It seems fair enough to propose some ideas but I'm prepared to give him six months to come up with more details.

3. tony2heads
    Joke

the right to be forgotten has to stay as an exception.

He obviously forgot what he said in the first part of the statement

1. Dave Bell

Re: the right to be forgotten has to stay as an exception.

Being forgotten implies that you have to be remembered first, and the potential for abuse—people using the right to hide evidence of wrong-doing—is an argument for some sort of balancing check. We know that laws such as the American DMCA, and particularly its notice system, are routinely abused and misapplied.

A lot of the controversy, around the world, comes from things being done without any limit. Doing something as an exception to the norm implies there are limits. Then all you have to do is make sure they are applied. Search warrants, anyone?

4. WibbleMe

Will this mean that France will finally be able to watch BBC's Tog Gear?

1. Pen-y-gors

"Tog Gear"?

Some new prog about really cool 60s clothing?

2. captain veg Silver badge

Tog Gear

Possibly Pippin's outfits too.

-A.

5. Purple-Stater

I like this fella

I hope this goes through. It annoys me to no end when I go to check out some UK music, that's not offered for sale in North America, and it's blocked. If they don't want to make the music available for me to purchase, why do they care if I watch/listen to it on YouTube?!?

It's annoying enough to jump through hoops with eBay & Amazon UK to import their product, but now I have to do their sales work for them too!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon