back to article Redmond flicks switch on Dropbox for VMs

Microsoft has formally launched Azure Site Recovery, its service that allows one to fail over from an on-premises bit barn to an Azure facility. Microsoft previewed the service back in June. Since then the company has also slurped disaster recovery expert InMage. Redmond says that acquisition's technology has been thrown into …

1. Disgruntled of TW
    Mushroom

Wait a minute ...

... this rather assumes the VMs are all on a fairly flat network, and there is a complete and sufficient set of VMs that can understand the egress/ingress network traffic involved in such a migration, and still function with everything they used to talk to from the original site. Think BGP updates, traffic volumes, DNS, AD DCs ... the list is substantial.

The security profile will probably look rather different when running in Azure. Why didn't the company just host their VMs there in the first place? This reeks of "tick the DR box for the regulator" with fingers and toes firmly crossed that it never gets tested with a real event.

Not convinced this is viable for anyone but SMBs with a few 10's of VMs, or organisations that pump out "the next app" barely alpha tested, who care more about ability to pump out "the next app" than any real service level for infrastructure/compute/storage services.

1. TheVogon

Re: Wait a minute ...

"Redmond flicks switch on Dropbox for VMs "

OneDrive for VMs surely ?!

2. Roland6 Silver badge

From my background I read the article slightly differently, I saw this as possible tertiary fail-over scenario. So once your primary and secondary sites die or go off-line, your cloud-based site goes live. This allows for two scenarios, a simple "sorry we are having problems please try later" service to a full tertiary DR which whilst not available immediately, once up and running does allow a level of business continuity - albeit with the fun and games of reverting back to the primary and secondary site configuration.

3. MyffyW Silver badge

"Tick the DR box for the regulator" made me laugh @Disgruntled_of_TW. That's exactly what I've seen happen with DR before, even on-premise DR. I recall one AS400 system that had a DR capability so labyrinthine it was commonly agreed it would never be invoked, yet there it sat for years on end drawing power and filling the coffers of the hosting company.

2. Cloud, what..... Sorry... Um... - you just made that up.

Yeah I don't think so

Hold on... hold on...

I just tried this bit of software "Inmage" and in its current incarnation it only backups up / replicates to vmware systems. - I know .......?

So with azure you can control replication from one on premise physical or virtual environment to another on premise VMware virtual environment.

It is no dropbox, you can't backup physical servers to AZURE yet. All very misleading.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like