back to article Verizon punches RED button on Redbox Instant video-streaming service

Verizon will shut down its Netflix competitor Redbox Instant on Tuesday, a mere year and a half after the firm first launched the video-streaming service in the USA. It's set to shut down permanently in a little over 48 hours from now, Verizon told subscribers. Redbox Instant said in a post on its website: Information on …

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

"The service had not been as successful as either partner hoped it would be."

Translation : We couldn't extort enough money from Netflix as we hoped...

1. joed

Re: "The service had not been as successful as either partner hoped it would be."

Actually the translation is: We can extort more money from Netlix so why bother with running a legitimate business in competitive marketplace.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Redbox kiosks too?

Whenever I am at my grocery store, I see people at the Redbox kiosk getting movies...

1. ukgnome

Re: Redbox kiosks too?

I doubt they would kill the kiosks, they are well used for movies and games - UK folk think lovefilm postal service but a vending machine instead of post.

Hopefully someone like tesco in the UK will start a kiosk service, or maybe even redbox themselves. It's needed since the death of blockbuster.

3. Ross K Silver badge

I don't think anybody can compete against Netflix. As we've seen, it's easier to put the squeeze on their customers if you're in a dominant position. The credit card fraud thing probably didn't help either as it left them unable to sign up new customers.

Last figures I saw showed Netflix accounted for 34% of North American internet traffic at peak hours. Amazon Video and Hulu had 1.7-1.8% each in comparison.

1. Tom 13

@ Ross K

Is that 34% of ALL traffic or 34% of all STREAMING traffic?

Granted I'm usually good for an hour each night, sometimes 3 or 4 on a day of the weekend.

1. Ross K Silver badge

Re: @ Ross K

Is that 34% of ALL traffic or 34% of all STREAMING traffic?

34% of ALL North American traffic at peak hours, with Youtube in second place.

https://www.sandvine.com/downloads/general/global-internet-phenomena/2014/1h-2014-global-internet-phenomena-report.pdf

4. O RLY

Will the Redbox application be removed from the PS3 and PS4 menus?

I didn't want it there in the first place because I didn't use it. Now that it's useless, I really don't want it there.

1. Chris Beattie

Re: Will the Redbox application be removed from the PS3 and PS4 menus?

Too right! It was impossible to ignore, too. You got a mandatory giant icon in the menu if you didn't have Redbox Instant installed. You had to install the app just to get a normal-sized icon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like