back to article The Maze Runner – a merry teenage dystopian adventure that doesn't make you cringe

Well it’s another teen dystopia novel turned into a film – which is fast turning into a reason not to see a movie instead of a reason to see a movie as studio heads hope – but what’s this? No love triangle? No whining? Teenagers with a modicum of self-respect? A decent storyline? It’s all gone strangely right for the makers of …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

No comparison to The Cube?

2. Arctic fox
    Happy

Re:"No comparison to The Cube?"

At last I have finally found someone who actually watched that one as well as me! Other than that I have already told "you know who" to notify me when its available.

1. John Sanders
      Pint

Re: No comparison to The Cube?"

Sad the sequels were crappy, but the original is a classic, the ending was a bit predictable to me, but nonetheless satisfying.

If you haven't seen Snow Piercer this year go watch it, it is a very different movie than Cube but has kind of a similar vibe in which it is sci-fi-ish, not expensive, well acted, and you want to know what happens in the end because as crazy as the premise is the story and the characters on it are interesting.

1. Cliff

The Cube gameshow with Philip Schofield?

2. Lionel Baden

Just have to say Snow piercer is definately worth watching, It can seem somewhat tedious at time's but everytime you feel it getting monotonous or predictable, it goes off on a tangent.

Mighty good watch, was pleasantly surprised, my standards over the years have been worn down.

1. Stevie

"everytime you feel it getting monotonous or predictable, it goes off on a tangent."

That would make it a circle though, wouldn't it?

2. Graham Marsden

The problem with Cube (not The Cube IIRC ) is that there were too many unanswered questions and the answers that were provided in the sequels really didn't make sense (and looked more like ret-cons for the most part).

Also some characters seemed to be in there just to supply useful information for plot exposition and, once they'd done that, they were killed off as they were no longer of any use.

So, nice film, nice ideas, but ultimately unsatisfying.

3. John Sanders
    Holmes

The Cube was great little movie better than the sum of its parts

This one looks too formulaic and the trailer gives away half the history, the effect this causes on me is to find the entire synopsis and not bother to go to the cinema to watch it even if it is any good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlU5XcYH8m4

Is the register being sponsored by movie studios now? Me wonders

1. Growler

Re: The Cube was great little movie better than the sum of its parts

Downvoted for the "a publication said something nice about something I don't like so they must be getting paid for it" schtick.

1. John Sanders
        Meh

Ok, I understand you may think that, but Good Old Reg is not a movie site.

So suddenly recommending a movie which is currently being exhibited in cinemas looks strange to me.

Also I'm sorry but the article doesn't read like a critique of the movie, and more like a commercial, it verbatim repeats the entirety of what can be seen in the trailer.

And the trailer I must insist looks VERY formulaic to me, in fact I originally saw it in the theatre and originally dismissed as another teenager dystopia flick.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and the movie is not bad, but then the marketing is not doing it any benefit.

These are my honest thoughts.

And having said that, I'm going to read the entire synopsis to confirm it.

1. Lionel Baden

@John sanders

Also I'm sorry but the article doesn't read like a critique of the movie, and more like a commercial, it verbatim repeats the entirety of what can be seen in the trailer.

I'm actually grateful for the review, I assumed it was a bullshitty Teenage love story with some sci-fi tacked on. Think hunger games, Potentially a very awesome film but pandered to much to the love story and glossed over the rest.

I think its safe to say most reg readers will be scifi inclined in their tastes and to get confirmation its not a stinking pile of poo :) and its part of the weekend edition :D

4. thomas k.

looked interesting from the trailer

Will look forward to seeing it when it shows up at Redbox in a few months.

5. kartstar

Saw it in the movies on Tuesday gone. Wholeheartedly agree with the review. I hated The Hunger Games and Divergent because of the horrible love triangles and plot holes mentioned. When given the option of seeing The Maze Runner or Sin City 2 for the second time, my vote was with the latter. I'm glad I was convinced to see the former, as I was pleasantly surprised and I would watch it again for sure, and will be seeing the follow ups in theatres also.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like