back to article Dear Reg readers. I want Metro tiles to replace all icons in Windows. Is this a good idea?

UX. Two little letters that cause so much angst, frustration and passion to spill over. Especially if someone suggests that tiles are a feature of Windows which should be extended over everything. Our beloved readers, full of peace, love and goodwill towards their fellow internet users, were really very unimpressed with the …

1. PleebSmash
    Paris Hilton

Can't believe I've never read the corrupted word "sleb" before.

2. Ross K Silver badge
    Trollface

Statistical Observation

Commentard bar Moustache weighs in with a statistical observation:

@Matt Bryant

In your 13 posts (thus far) on this thread, you've garnered 16 upvotes and 84 downvotes. That gives you an approval rating of 19.04%.

Give it a rest, mate.

We, like the BBC, present this without comment.,

I think some people love writing something controversial just to be noticed - like that linux evangelist from last year whose name escapes me just now. Elmer, Elwood or something like that?

1. Chris 244
      Coat

Re: Statistical Observation

Eadon. His name was Eadon.

How soon we forget the fallen.

1. Arctic fox
        Windows

Re: "How soon we forget the fallen."

In that particular gentleman's case - not soon enough for me. After he got defenestrated by a special Vulture squad the use of caps lock here at El Reg hit an all time low.

*My choice of icon? It would have really pissed him off.

1. cortland

After he got defenestrated

Stopped using Windows?

2. Adam 1

EPIC MEMORY FAIL!!!

3. Elmer Phud

Oi!

1. Ross K Silver badge

Oi!

Sorry fella, my memory's not what it used to be. Have an upvote by way of compensation.

As Chris 244 pointed out, the guy I was thinking of was in fact Eadon. Strangely, all of his posts appear to have been deleted by a mod...

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

As Chris 244 pointed out, the guy I was thinking of was in fact Eadon. Strangely, all of his posts appear to have been deleted by a mod...

Well, yes. The EU didn't invent the right to be forgotten, El Reg got there first :)

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

What I wanna know, is was the script that deleted all his posts, in fact, run on a windows machine

1. Adam 1

> was the script that deleted all his posts, in fact, run on a windows machine

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/about/company/website/

The site is built using a custom content management system which is written in Perl and filters its input through HTML Tidy. The pages are generated using the GNOME libxslt library. We make substantial use of the excellent DBIx-Class ORM.

The webservers are running Apache, with MySQL for the back-end database and the search engine. Our web applications (search, forums, Reg Whitepapers, Reg Events, etc) are all built on mod_perl. All the software runs on Debian GNU/Linux, chosen for its stability, reliability, flexibility, and especially for its superlative support of remote package management and upgrades.

So my guess is no.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Pity, the delicious irony it would have been :)

4. Graham Marsden

@Ross K - Re: Statistical Observation

Whatever Matt's reasons (and reasoning) we should still allow him the right of Freedom of Expression, even though in his idealistic fascist state he'd deny that right to anyone who disagreed with him (ironic, as he keeps calling everyone else "sheeple", when what he really means is that they're not following him...)

It's a shame in a way because occasionally he does actually come up with intelligent points, but he seems to lack confidence in his arguments because to "reinforce" them he has to resort to name-calling, oh-so-clever insulting name-changes, ad hominems and keeping on moving the goalposts every time someone makes a point he can't answer.

Then there's also his habit of trying to shift the burden of proof by, rather than him having to prove he's right, demanding that others prove he is wrong (of course when someone does that, as I did recently, with quotes from the actual laws involved, he just moved the goalposts again).

So let him post, if nothing else it shows some the dangers we face if we stop fighting to protect our Rights and Liberites.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: @Ross K - Statistical Observation

Matts posts are also annoying due to his crappy paragraph-less punctuation.

2. Fluffy Bunny

Re: @Ross K - Statistical Observation

"his habit of trying to shift the burden of proof by, rather than him having to prove he's right, demanding that others prove he is wrong "

He must be a green.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nah, I think he is @Matt (aka. "Matt the moron" (tm) in a new guise)

3. localzuk Silver badge

Tiles

They aren't a new thing, surely. Aren't tiles a continuation of a paradigm created by NeXTSTEP, OpenStep and GNUStep?

1. launcap Silver badge

Re: Tiles

>paradigm created by NeXTSTEP, OpenStep and GNUStep

Followed by DUBStep?

4. zen1

@Matt Bryant

"That gives you an approval rating of 19.04%."

Dude, you'd almost be guaranteed a position in the US Congress as their approval rating is between 12 and 14%. That gives you a 26% point advantage over any of the current members!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: @Matt Bryant

Er.... Not unless Mr Bryant is/has

- A few million $$$$ (plus a few hundred/thousand brown envelopes)

- A Lawyer

- A Complete Dork devoid of all common sense.

he would not be qualified for the US Congress.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OK, I must check something..

I haven't seen a post of some of the aforementioned characters in ages, which suggests that I must have blocked them and forgotten about it - it sure explains some comments I could not make sense of as I didn't see the original post.

Edit: just checked, indeed have a few blocks set up.

Good. A feature worth keeping :)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are lies ...

"In your 13 posts (thus far) on this thread, you've garnered 16 upvotes and 84 downvotes. That gives you an approval rating of 19.04%."

Hmmm: 13+84=100 votes cast. So that's either a 13% approval or an 84% disapproval rating depending on which way you want to spin it.

Apples and oranges are both fruit so you can say that 13% of the fruit are apples and 84% are oranges.

Simply dividing apples by oranges like that is only going to leave mixed metaphor on your face.

Cheers

Jon

1. stizzleswick
      Headmaster

Re: There are lies ...

"Hmmm: 13+84=100 votes cast. So that's either a 13% approval or an 84% disapproval rating depending on which way you want to spin it."

Surely you mean 16+84=100 etc.

1. earl grey
        Trollface

Don't call me Shirley.

2. Tom 38

Simply dividing apples by oranges like that is only going to

…give you the apple:orange ratio?

1. badger31

Speaking of fruit based statistics, here's my favourite:

93% of people would put someone's genitals in their mouth, but only 6% would eat a brown banana.

7. Turtle

As we all know...

"@Matt Bryant: In your 13 posts (thus far) on this thread, you've garnered 16 upvotes and 84 downvotes. That gives you an approval rating of 19.04%. Give it a rest, mate."

Yeah because we all know that insight is most accurately measured by upvotes. That's why, for example, democracy works so well: the politician who gains the most votes is always the most able to improve society and solve all its problems. And that is why life is so good, and getting better all the time.

*rolls eyes*

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: As we all know...

Oh how true. I know some of my comments crash and burn to beat any failed rocketry example but this just reminds me that I don't actually know everything and some people have a different opinion to me. The amazing thing is that is actually allowed in most countries and governing by Whiskas commercial* can lead to the Oozalum bird**

* if 8 out of 10 want it then let's make it compulsory

** flies in ever decreasing circles until it disappears up it's own backside

8. Peter2 Silver badge

Perceptum.

I am not overeducated.

9. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Ah!

So CoTW refers to COMMENT of the week. That explains why I thought you were being unreasonable harsh on some commentards.

1. TheRealRoland
      Coat

Re: Ah!

You were not the first...

10. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Flame

I'm grateful for this article . . .

. . . it gave me a chance to downvote Matt Bryant a bunch more. I'd previously skipped the porta-potty article altogether.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like