back to article Ice probe peers at hidden BOTTOMS of oceans from SPAAACE

Space is said to be the final frontier, but in fact there is also a penultimate frontier to be finished off before we get out there: the ocean depths, more than 80 per cent of which, until recently, had remained unmapped and unexplored. Not any more though, because a team of international brainboxes has decided to gaze down …

1. Semtex451

If you squint you can see Spongebob

1. perlcat
      Coat

...and if you're lucky...

the rest of Bikini Bottom.

2. i like crisps
    Trollface

Waiting...

...for the first Haddock to complain that his licence plate hasn't been 'blurred' out.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Waiting...

Here he is, complaining as usual!

3. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Stop

Stop and think.

More people have been to the Moon, than the bottom of the ocean (Mariana Trench).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop and think.

Or have they?

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Stop and think.

At least, more people have come back from the moon than from the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Volcanos

According to the linked article the red spots mark volcanic activity. I didn't know there were two active volcanoes in Wales. OTOH if it means sites of long past volcanic activity there ought to be a good many more in the British Isles.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Volcanos

Well, 'Volcanic Activity' can be anywhere between Krakatoa-level eruption to a tiny little sulfur fart from between some plates.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

"Well, 'Volcanic Activity' can be anywhere between Krakatoa-level eruption to a tiny little sulfur fart from between some plates."

I question that. If they can detect sulphurous farts from space, from between plates or whatever, there ought to be a big red X centered on my house.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Well, 'Volcanic Activity' can be .. a tiny little sulfur fart from between some plates."

I'm not sure the Welsh would appreciate that.

Seriously, I don't think there are any old plate boundaries under Wales. From what I recall of my geology the Welsh slates are related to the closing of the Iapetus & that boundary runs under the Solway & across under Ireland. And the closure took place a long time ago* - Welsh sites gave the Cambrian, Silurian and Ordovician their names.

So the placement of those red blobs is a bit odd.

Allowing for the fact that there was a tremor on or near that line on Boxing Day, 1974.

2. Bod

There's a blob about the area of Snowdon and that was a volcano millions of years ago, but long extinct. No idea what the other one in Wales is, as I can't see there was ever anything there.

Seismic activity is another matter and there are small faults dotted all over, and we do get minor quakes in places, but then again the dots should be all over the place.

5. Stevie

Bah!

So why did they suppress all the data on the positions of submerged crashed starships from the dawn of history?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ice

"...CryoSat spacecraft, which was actually intended for working out what's happening to the world's ice."

You could film the ice sheets seamlessly in Ultra-High def at 25fps for the past billion years and then present the data, but the petro-chem fans would still complain about a lack of data.

I guess the CryoSat team realised this and went off to film some ocean trenches too as its more fun.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Ice

If you just show them evidence like that, then yes, they will still deny the concept of man-made climate change under the banner of correlation =/= causation.

The problems in convincing them is that:

1) the only way to conclusively prove that climate change is man made would be to create a whole new earth that shared our history, sans humans.

2) People rarely change their beliefs, even more so when doing so would reveal a very harsh truth, like how its probably their fault (People hate feeling guilty)

3) Some of the people on the 'climate change is man-made' side are goddamn crazy and are scaring people off

4) People see conspiracies everywhere and the fact that a few well-meaning scientists were caught faking data gives them a lot of evidence towards a conspiracy existing

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Correct me if I am wrong but we are only beginning to look at probable undersea volcanoes.

Doesn't that mean anything to you?

Or did you read an earlier version of the article than the one I read?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"..the fact that a few well-meaning scientists were caught faking data.."

I assume you use the term "well-meaning" in the sense of "correct-thinking," yes? Sooo, apparently if a so-called scientist fakes data (because real data doesn't give the correct results), but their hearts are in the right place, we should all give them a pass? Maybe so. I know I'd be pissed if my data obstinately refused to conform to Known Truth. Heck, I might even be tempted to violate the most basic tenets of science!

1. Hud Dunlap
          Thumb Up

Re: Ice @ Big John

I used to really like the weather underground site until the owner said that all that happened was a little data was hidden, no big deal. He is among the first to claim that deniers don't look at the data. I guess the site has been sold since to weather.com. I will admit http://www.wunderground.com still has the best user interface.

I am neither a denier or supporter but I see way too much politics and not enough science in the debate.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Ice@Hud Dunlap

I use WU as well, and once casually clicked on their "Climate Change" menu link:

http://www.wunderground.com/climate/

A veritable feast of AGW/ACC wallowing. Tsk.

3. Hud Dunlap
        Thumb Down

Re: Ice @Crazy operations guy

If you fake data you aren't a scientist, your a charlatan.

7. Chris Gray 1
    Coat

Elder Gods?

Why are there a bunch of low spots in the Iberian Peninsula? Are those the lairs of the Elder Gods?

8. John Arthur
    Unhappy

No need for that

"said David Sandwell, a hefty geophysicist"

Now that's not very nice, is it?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: No need for that

Well if you're a boffin made of lead then you're going to be pretty hefty, aren't you?

9. wesman

How is that thing at finding Malaysian airliners?

1. Scroticus Canis
      Paris Hilton

How is that thing at finding Malaysian airliners?

Pretty useless I would hazard. If it can't spot a thousand tonnes of hot nuclear sub at a few hundred metres down then the chances of spotting a hundred tonnes of cold spread out aircraft bits at a thousand and plus metres deep are pretty slim.

Paris doesn't look amused either.

1. Rustident Spaceniak
        Boffin

Re: How is that thing at finding Malaysian airliners?

Quite right. What Cryosat is looking for is more like in the many-million-ton range; and anyway, as a submerged sub has the same density and therefore the same gravity as the surrounding water, it won't lead to a surface-level depression!

If my task was to look for a missing airliner, though, I'd still appreciate a good subsurface map as it would certainly help to interpret what I'd see on my echo sounder. Though I guess I'd end up with a more detailed map from that anyway.

Back to a former topic: A sunken gazillion-ton ancient spaceship, now, that would be something completely different from a sub - that would create a signal.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like