back to article Blighty's Amazon Cloud Lord: It's a battle of men vs boys, and I ain't no boy

Apple and Google haven't won the cloud yet, according to one particularly chest-thumping interview with Microsoft's chief executive Satya Nadella this week. But who has? Is it ... Amazon, perhaps? We talked to Amazon's top UK & Ireland cloud kingpin to get an insight. So here's the background to the battle. First, there's …

1. jake Silver badge

During the meanwhile ...

My personal "cloud" (a distributed computing system) has been operational for friends & family, non-stop, since Flag Day, January 1, 1983.

Marketards running networks have zero clue. Their (l)users need to get a big hug, and and a pat on the back, and told "There, there, there, it's not your fault. You fucking moron."

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: During the meanwhile ...

On a slight tangent, is there an actual plan by jake to stress test El Reg by amassing an inordinate number of down votes?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He's hoping to get an integer overflow error message

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I am waiting in fear for the day that jake doesn't claim to have invented something or did it better in the 1980's.

For, surely, that will be a sign that the End of Days is nigh.

2. Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen
      Coat

1983 ... pfffft.

In the 1920's, my grandfather had a cloud-based abacus system he made from scratch. People only got billed for the time they used it and it prevented costly capital expenditure on their own abacuses. When the slide rule revolution came, he was ready too with a redundant 'dual ruler' system which boosted calculations twofold. Rumour has it that Gordon Moore was inspired by his system, especially when grandfather showed him how he could get to 4 slide rules within a year.

Grandad's system was available 24/7 even during power outages but sadly met its end when targeted by German bombs in WW2, depleting the national computing power significantly.

2. Mr_Reed

Finally someone who gets it the biggest threat in the cloud business to Microsoft is not Google but Amazon if they ever can get the productivity tools right it could be a real blow to MS. However they have a long way top go in the device space.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like