back to article Something will happen in Google 'dominance' probe. Just don't ask me what - EU antitrust chief

Europe’s new Competition chief has vowed that there will be next steps in the antitrust probe into Google's alleged "abuse of dominance" – she just doesn’t know what they are yet. Margrethe Vestager was up in front of the European Parliament in Thursday’s round of Commissioner-designate grilling. In response to a question …

1. John Robson Silver badge

"Big data is the new currency"

And I thought bitcoin was the new currency of the internet.

Am I already out of date?

2. jake Silver badge

The only thing google "dominates" ...

... is clueless idiots.

How is this different from any other bit of marketing?

3. Vociferous

No matter how badly EU & France hobble Google...

...I really don't think http://www.voila.fr/ and http://www.orange.fr/ will become popular outside France.

4. Tom 7

In one of Milligans books

a Scot returning from war is told by the customs officer to pay import duty on a bottle of scotch. The Scot drinks some and passes it round and then finishes it off. The customs officer tries to get the MP's to arrest him - 'Why?' 'He's drunk' 'No he's not' <shrilly>'He will be'</shrilly>.

That's Margrethe Vestager that is - though I think Kafka is doing some editing too.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: In one of Milligans books

And he still owes the duty. What he does with the Scotch once he has imported it is not HMRC's concern.

5. Dan Paul

Nobody Escapes the Inquisition......of the EU

So Google does things so well that their market share grew to huge proportions and they became the market leader.

Thats' what Google are guilty of. Competing by doing a better job than the ineffectual alternate search vendors. How can you abuse that?

Anything else you say about them is whining and complaining for no reason except bitterness and jealousy.

Obviously the new "Competition" chief has an agenda. She wants to hamstring Google.

Maybe Google should just buy the entire EU and be done with it.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Re: Nobody Escapes the Inquisition......of the EU

You can abuse a dominant position by exploiting your advantage to then enter other market areas and crush the competition there in ways you wouldn't be able to get away with if you didn't have a dominant position in another market.

Ie, Google introduces google shopping and then removes all price comparison sites from it's search results to ensure that it has no competition for anybody searching through Google.

6. Alan Denman

Stop being idiots, just tax them

Complete fools have the wrong end of the stick.

It is US corporate tx avoidance that is the main threat to the EU.

If they do not get told to pay up then we are alldoomed to poverty.

Idiots !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like