back to article Xbox hackers snared US ARMY APACHE GUNSHIP ware - Feds

Hackers from the US, Canada and Australia have been arrested over a sting that took in the US Army, gaming companies and Microsoft. The Department of Justice accuses the alleged perps of copying software worth more than US$100m. The thieves pinched data and source code relating to then unreleased titles Call of Duty Modern …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sting?

"Today's guilty pleas show that we will protect America's intellectual property from hackers, whether they hack from here or from abroad."

Or they already knew this? Timing is just too perfect to underline the goodness of feds.

2. Mark 85

Sometimes I think I just read the National Enquirer.

How can it be a sting? Was all this software setup on a server for the taking? If so, why did they need three years to bust them?

The referenced links don't call it a sting nor imply a sting. It was a breach and steal and then sell off the goods.

3. Dylbot

Unreleased Xbox One games in 2011? Time travellers, then?

4. Lionel Baden

hmmm

I feel very split on this.

The criminal has stolen something from said country and should be punished. just because they didn't step into said country should not make them immune to whatever crime they committed, just because the location of said server was overseas.

If i shoot somebody on the other side of the border I would still get done wouldn't I.

But then again I really dont want america feeling like it can go wherever the fuck it likes holding people to their sometimes ridiculous laws and legal procedures.

1. ian 22

Re: hmmm

The article does state Western Australian laws and legal procedures apply to the unnamed perpetrator. Do you think he'll (gender assumption here) be deported to America?

5. ElNumbre
    Black Helicopters

Good Stuff

Now the training programme is available, all they need is to acquire a fully armed Apache Gunship and they'll be able to wreak havoc! Havoc I tells ya!

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Re: Good Stuff

Don't get too excited, it's probably just a version of Flight Simulator with an Apache module added.

// cost the govt $xxB, I'm sure.

2. Lionel Baden
      Alien

Weird

I now have an image of an Apache, shooting lots of mini Havoc Choppers all over the place ......

1. Peter Clarke 1

A bit harsh if you don't want a delivery by Amazon in Arizona

6. Truth heroic

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 is an Activision game made by Infinity Ward On Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC it is not a Microsoft game

Gears of War 3 was on Xbox 360 and

none of these games are on Xbox One at all

Training similuator Software is not US Pache helicopter ware..

EPIC FAIL as the writer who postes this had not technical knowledge

of the games or Software he wrote about he should get his facts straight

before posting an article the main story lost credibility with

bad references and shows how unfamiliar the writer is with software

or the companies that make them and on which platform uses the software

AGAIN CALL OF DUTY MODERN WARFARE 3 IS PUBLISHED BY ACTIVISION MADE BY INFINITY WARD NOT MICROSOFT AND WAS FOR PS3, XBOX 360 AND PC

GEARS OF WAR WAS ON XBOX 360 NOT XBOX ONE PUBLISHED BY MICROSOFT made by EPIC GAMES...

FLIGHT simulator software isnt actual Apache helicopter ware ..

#getyourfactsstraight #getaclue

1. Mike Smith
      Mushroom

"#getyourfactsstraight #getaclue"

#sodoffwiththathashtagbollocks

#thisiselregnotaretardedMyTwitBooksite

#solearnthebloodydifferencesunshine

#andsortyourspellingout

#andyourpunctuation

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Read the story did you?

Did you even read the story? Downvote for you being a retard.

7. Truth heroic

None of those games are on Xbox One ..none

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 was on Xbox 360, Ps3 , and PC

Gears of War 3 only on Xbox 360..

Flight simulator has every Aircraft ever made and theres so much info on the web alreadyfrom fr about Apache U.S. Army is the primary operator of the AH-64; it has also become the primary attack helicopter of multiple nations, including Greece,Japan, Israel, the Netherlands and Singapore; as well as being produced under license in the United Kingdom as the AgustaWestland Apache. U.S. AH-64s have served in conflicts in Panama, the Persian Gulf, Kosovo, Afghanistan, and Iraq. Israel used the Apache in its military conflicts in Lebanon and the Gaza Strip; British and Dutch Apaches have seen deployments in Afghanistan and Iraq.

..its also a decades old gunship so Its pretty much not a secret as the US has used in since 1986...so is no big top military secret. . Multiple nations have one. . The original design concept goes back to 1975

1. Matt Piechota

Re: @Truth Heroic

Good thing you're not "Reading Comprehension Heroic". The article mentions there's a long list of stuff they did, and nowhere does it link any of the particular software products to particular hardware. The author is just naming off the most recognizable stuff and companies involved.

#HeroicFail

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like