back to article Universal Credit CRISIS: Howard Shiplee SHIPS OUT of top job

The Department for Work and Pensions' deeply troubled Universal Credit project has lost yet another chief, after Howard Shiplee quit the role on Monday. His decision to walk is a big blow for Secretary of State Iain Duncan Smith, who has witnessed a revolving door of UC bosses since the Cabinet minister unveiled his one-dole- …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Howard will continue to support Universal Credit in an advisory role."

What, like Tesco's last finance director was supporting them in an advisory role?

2. John G Imrie

To loose one MD is a tragady.

To loose 7 in 4 years looks like an incompetent hiring policy.

1. Slabfondler

Re: To loose one MD is a tragady.

What would not expect anything less from the illustrious Ian Duncan Smith - he's following the maxim of "in order to maintain the appearance of competence in your position, surround yourself with those less competent than yourself" to a tee! I swear he must have pictures of the PM in some very compromising positions in order to still be part of the Cabinet.

3. tony2heads

Cost/person

If we divide up the cost per user so far would it have bought them a car or a house?

1. FlatSpot
      Thumb Down

Re: Cost/person

Yes but that's the same with any new system, the cost is always up front.

If it rolls out (eventually) it should provide a return on the investment, but if Labour just can it for political point scoring purposes, then it will have been a complete waste of taxpayers money.

4. Polyphonic
    Happy

Good project (programme) management for Government

It has always been so that a PM/PgM on a Government project will bail before the project/programme is delivered. Like musical chairs the last man standing will take the blame :-)

5. i like crisps
    Trollface

PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE!

Well, plan A, B, C & D have all been tried.......this might just work!

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

Re: PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE!

What about Plan Z?

It's evil! It's diabolical! It's lemon-scented!!

6. eJ2095

Yay

Think i will apply..

Will bring my own crayons

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Re: Yay

"Will bring my own crayons"

Sure, but DWP get to keep them when if you're fired you resign.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Turd

It doesn't matter how much you polish a turd; It's still a turd!

8. Nick 6

Of course its all on track

Iain Duncan Smith told me so, and he *never* lies.

It must be faulty data which tells me that by now there were supposed to be well in excess of a million claimants in the system.

9. Crisp

Where do I apply?

I can't really do a worse job can I?

10. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Basic concept fine...

...just the ongoing farce of implementation coupled with IDS announcing 'smartcards' for claimants that would restrict their spending (what could possibly go wrong with that?)

<ranty bit>

I think that if you have *paid taxes* for (say) 20 years then loose your job, you damn well should be supported at a reasonable % of your past income for some period of time before dropping to a safety net level. I don't like the rhetoric coming from IDS and his colleagues. Being (suddenly) poor is not actually a crime as such, and I don't see why the Conservative Party is becoming so downright Stalinist in this way. Hayek would be amazed at the micromanagement of people's lives involved in these policies.

</ranty bit>

Back on topic, an actually functioning UC system could make it easier to manage a benefit system with a contribution based element.

1. PassiveSmoking

Re: Basic concept fine...

They're tories. Of course they think being poor is a crime.

Also I think your comparison with extreme left-wing police states are unfair. It's more like an extreme right-wing police state.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Livinglegend
    Happy

Advisory capacity

This means working as a consultant for less than one day per week rather than the original five.

Pros - paid the same for one day as previously five.

Cons - finding something to do for the other four.

1. Sumpbuster

Re: Advisory capacity

"Cons - finding something to do for the other four."

Erm, being a consultant on another four projects?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon