back to article Vodafone to stock BlackBerry Passport – on sale tomorrow

The new, interesting and really rather good Blackberry Passport will soon be available to Brits on Vodafone. That is to say “will” rather than “is” as Vodafone isn’t taking pre-orders for the device, which will go on sale tomorrow, and there is currently no pricing information. Two attempts to order an upgrade – online and …

1. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

£530...

hahahahahahahaha. 2 chances of selling at that price point - slim and none.

Which is a shame because the hardware is good - its just lost the market, same as Nokia did. Both companies pretty much created smart phones and pretty much flushed it all away.

At least when BB were RIM we could have more of a laugh about it them being in the toilet and flushing things away, damn unsporting of them really.

1. Tim 11

Re: £530...

yes but don't all phones have a completely fictitious RRP nowadays? £530 is less than the list price for the cheapest iPhone 6. As with all phones in the UK the actual price will depend on what contract deal you do.

2. typeo

Being discounted already. Mobilephonesdirect.co.uk are selling SIM free for £440.

1. Vince

Not being "discounted" - just some vendors have smaller margins - Expansys are always expensive, and often non-UK stock, as well as being generally poor at CS.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

dangleberries

The post is required, and must contain letters.

2. i like crisps
    Trollface

The Stephen Fry Asthetic...

...Is this phone gorgeous?

If yes then vote 'UP'

If no vote 'DOWN'

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Being discounted already. Mobilephonesdirect.co.uk are selling SIM free for £440.

Shave another £100 off and I'll have one.

1. Yugguy

Indeed

I'd have one if it was in the 3 hundreds.

In fact I'll have one because it DOESN'T have integrated Facebook or Twitter. Because it CAN'T take my pulse or blood pressure or walking speed. Etc.

1. zebthecat

Re: Indeed

Sadly it does have facebook and twitter natively - your search continues...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BB is a lot more pervasive than the media would have us believe

The risks involved are a lot higher, but it's a much better experience all round.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: BB is a lot more pervasive than the media would have us believe

"but it's a much better experience all round"

You obviously haven't used a Windows Pone in a full corporate setup - it's leagues ahead of Blackberry in terms of end user experience.

5. Barry Rueger

I like it but....

My Z10 keeps developing just plain weird problems for no obvious reason.

First, after two weeks, it suddenly refused to send group text messages.

Then after another two weeks, it stopped connecting to my Bluetooth handsfree.

This week though, a new problem - suddenly one of the three email accounts set up on the phone refuses to send if the phone is connected to WIFI.

The other two work fine, but the third will not send unless WIFI is turned off.

In each case a troll though the BB forums finds that these are BB problems - it's not just me.

These sorts of things, and utterly abysmal support for anything Google, are why I'll be back to Android by the end of the year.

There's lots to like in BlackBerry, but you have to balance the strengths with the weaknesses.

Adding insult to injury is the repeated suggestion that you should reinstall the OS to solve problems - what is this? Windows 95?

1. Looper
      WTF?

Re: I like it but....

"In each case a troll though the BB forums finds that these are BB problems - it's not just me."

You troll the BB forums...?

6. GrandpaChris

Passport

Great name.Would you like a secure travel passport? This device is about Canadian Blackberry security. We believe "loose lips sink ships" is valid just as much today as it was yesterday.

1. Breen Whitman

Re: Passport

Wasnt it becoming news years ago that US border guards were auto confuscating bb devices as they viewed the encryption with suspicion?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like