back to article Gaming gasm UK: Rubbing shoulders with LEGENDS and newbies

After a week of hitting ferrets with my new Gauntlet inflatable promotional chicken leg and dying far too often in multiplayer set on hard, it eventually occurs to me: "Lucy needs daylight". Admittedly, I wasn’t outdoors for long as my venture out of the house took me to EGX, formerly Eurogamer Expo and apparently the UK's …

1. oomwat
    Flame

No Elite:Dangerous?

Surely you can't have missed E:D ?

1. GregC

Re: No Elite:Dangerous?

Exactly what I was thinking - though I guess with it being in beta now, a lot of us that are interested in it are already playing it.

2. Varp
      Facepalm

Re: No Elite:Dangerous?

"There was no way I was getting in the hour hour queue for five minutes on the Oculus Rift"

E:D may have been part of the Oculus Rift demo area as it seems to be a bit of a poster-child for them.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"No Mans Sky" is the true spiritual successor to Elite.. .

Any one else thinking the same?... Not that I don't wish DB success with ED...

4. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
      Joke

Re: "Surely you can't have missed E:D ?"

Since the introduction of the "little blue pill", I haven't missed ED one bit.

2. RainForestGuppy

Really!!!

We have massively powerful consoles and PC's and all they can come up with is re-hashes of the tired 'run around and slash/shoot things' genre.

Where is the imagination in the games world??

1. P. Lee

Re: Really!!!

FPS might be like that. MMO's and RTS are about resource management and strategy.

1. Alien8n
        Alien

Games are like any other media. There's nothing genuinely new anymore, all we get is remakes of classics and variations on a theme, often more of the same but gorier, harder to play or just downright not on this planet anymore. Not that there's anything really wrong with that, it's possible to tell the same story multiple times, it's all down to the skill of the developers (how else can you explain game franchises like Fifa and COD).

1. breakfast Silver badge
          Holmes

In one way, since the technology became sufficient many of the stories that can be told with the current generation of gaming tools have now been told, so many things are effectively remakes.

However the other side of that is that people with a big-money franchise are inherently conservative because they are terribly and intensely afraid of killing off the goose that lays the golden egg for them. So they can't take risks or do anything new.

New games will come predominantly out of small and independent development houses. Once something becomes a safe bet ( moderately recent example might be Dark Souls ) then a big publisher may pick it up and start making sequels, but those will be more of the same.

Ultimately companies investing large amounts of money in games expect to see ROI, so they end up producing games designed by market segmentation research rather than by people who care about making games fun, original or interesting. This is a place where Kickstarter is proving to be somewhat disruptive, which is good news for people who like good games.

2. Spleen

Yeah, and how come with all the modern filmmaking and CGI techniques Hollywood keeps churning out re-hashes of the same old "boy meets girl" or "boy overcomes battle against evil force / himself"?

3. RyokuMas
      Facepalm

"Where is the imagination in the games world??"

AAA studios are unlikely to get imaginative - too risky for the men in suits at the top of the tree, they'd much rather stick to making the next installment of GTA/CoC/FIFA/whatever they know will sell providing they slap better graphics on it.

Indies used to be a much better bet... however, these days, many of the app stores are flooded with the latest Flappy Bird/Candy Crush/whatever clones that are shovelled out by so many in an attempt to cash in, making discoverability a complete nightmare. Moreover, for many indies, there is nothing more disheartening than having invested a great deal of their own time and money into creating and promoting their game, only to find that players are often unwilling to pay anything for it.

3. Sir Sham Cad

Four Quarters Peckham

From the linked website:

"then we have classics like Outrun, Point Blank and Tron"

Also they sell Thornbridge Jaipur.

Thank you Ms Orr, thank you thank you thank you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like