back to article Atlas plugged: Facebook hooks ads to profiles, smears 'em over the web

Facebook has relaunched its Atlas advertising network to take on ad-slinger-in-chief Google. The social network said its revamped platform will allow companies to monitor how their ads are turning – or not turning – into actual sales across devices. Normally, Facebook tracks logged-in people across the web by detecting when …

1. Number6

Separate Browsers

It's because of things such as this that I use a separate browser for Facebook and Twitter to keep them and their tracking stuff as far away from anything else I do. Good job there's actually a few decent browsers out there now so I can do this fairly painlessly.

I don't know if logging into Facebook on a private window is going to be enough to keep it separate from the rest, hence using something I know is separate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Separate Browsers

I don't use FB on a browser at all, only the mobile app on iOS. Good luck trying to get any browsing or searching information off me! The downside of using the app is that I can't block the ads sponsored content spam, but it is easy enough to scroll on by. For now...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I use a separate browser for Facebook sessions, never using it for other sites without restarting it. I don't trust that a private window will keep it isolated from other non-private windows.

I don't know if all that will be enough to disrupt the creepies, but it's the best I can do short of running it in a VM.

3. Old Handle
      Trollface

For even better protection, I don't use Facebook on a any browser or on any mobile device.

2. qzdave

Easy fix for this malarky...

Ghostery add-on to Firefox. Block 'em all, I say.

1. Rick Giles
      Linux

Re: Easy fix for this malarky...

Ghostery, Ad Block Plus, No Script, and I huge black hole list on my DNS server. It's not just for Ads either, it's to cut down on the bandwidth usage.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Wow!

Somebody's trying to out-creep Google! I wish them luck. I've completely burnt my Facebook accounts and the browser (like Number6) I had tied to it. Oh, and I gave everyone a head's up on what was going to happen including me fading back into the shadows.

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Happy

I'm good

No FB account, no smartphone, 1 work deskstop, 1 home laptop no crap

5. jake Silver badge

Thank gawd/ess ...

... that I control the IP[1] space that my computers and networks are allowed to talk to. This kind of privacy invasion really, really needs to be outlawed.

[1] That's "Internet Protocol", not "Intellectual Property", if you are in management or marketing or otherwise technologically impaired.

1. Rick Giles
      Joke

Re: Thank gawd/ess ...

"[1] That's "Internet Protocol", not "Intellectual Property", if you are in management or marketing or otherwise technologically impaired."

Aren't management and marketing synonyms for 'technologically impaired'?

1. Fungus Bob

Re: Thank gawd/ess ...

"Aren't management and marketing synonyms for 'technologically impaired'?"

You're only supposed to use the Joke Alert icon for actual jokes.

2. jake Silver badge

@ Rick Giles (was: Re: Thank gawd/ess ...)

"Aren't management and marketing synonyms for 'technologically impaired'?"

Thus the strategically placed phrase "or otherwise".

6. John Robson Silver badge

So will it stop serving me ads...

After all I never click on any of them (sorry elreg), so it must realise that it's pointless showing them to me?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy!

Easy! No twitter account, no facebook account, disabled smart phone, duckduckgo, and some adblock/noscript on top.

I guess a lot of info is still leaking through, but at least I can try to make it as hard for them as possible. =)

8. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Devil

But... but... but...

People like adverts! They love being shown adverts for things they've just bought, things they've once looked at, things they happened to see in passing, no? They love having their screen estate eaten and their eyes and ears assaulted and their bandwidth eaten!

Don't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But... but... but...

More than they love the idea of paying for "services" like Facebook, unfortunately.

1. Mike Taylor

Or el reg.

Personally, I don't mind ads, and if they're well-targeted, so be it. When they're poorly targeted, much amusement. ("Date mature dutch ladies!!" - yes, well, I do go to Amsterdam for work a lot... but married, yes, it's there in the status...)

2. Wade Burchette

I do not dislike advertisements. I dislike ads that track which websites I go, what things I look at, what things I've click on. I dislike ads that use my IP address to say "[local city name] woman discovers shocking secret". I dislike ads that pop-up, pop-under, and take up my entire screen. I dislike ads (or any video) that autoplay without any interaction on my part. If there was a simple, non-tracking ad I would be inclined to look at it and click on it. The ads that I dislike will never get any clicks from me.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No thanks

"A website can use Atlas to serve ads to people, and advertisers can place adverts through it, knowing they'll end up at the right person running into AdBlock Plus"

Fixed.

10. Fungus Bob
    Happy

I like the consolidation going on in the online advertising business

Ten years ago the ad blocking list for my Squid proxy had well over 1000 entries. Now its around 200.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like