back to article Yahoo! dumps! thing! that! made! it! Yahoo! and! told! to! bed! AOL!

A hedge fund is urging Yahoo! to form a "strategic combination" with fellow internet dinosaur AOL – just as Yahoo! announced it was killing off its founding feature, created about 20 years ago. In an open letter to Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer, investment house Starboard Value asked her to consider making a number of moves it …

1. Daniel B.

Um...

The letter goes so far as to suggest that Yahoo! could even take AOL's name and shut down most of its operations, if need be.

Replace their faltering but still pretty notorious brand with one that is synonymous with "awful internet"? Really???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Um...

It's soooo fucked up, and awful isn't the word. In fact, is there even a word for AOL outside of A O L? It's like those 3 letters are present around the internet, but they represent nothing. Several things come to mind when I hear Yahoo, but when I here AOL........

In all seriousness, this might be the most fucked up thing I've heard all year.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

Old people love using AOL, and old people have money.

They love hearing "you've got mail". I've seen it too many times to discount it.

So yeah, there's still value in that name. Believe it or don't.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My elderly sister has been on AOL for well over a decade - since she first had a PC to replace her Amstrad word processor. Her resistance to moving to another broadband supplier is in her email address and an AOL forum where she has built up a group of online friends.

2. Sanctimonious Prick
          WTF?

Some time ago, before AOL tried entering the Australian ISP market, their name was pretty much mud here.

When they did get here, it was common to see discarded AOL cover discs by the road, in bins, and bushes.

Anyway, I haven't heard or seen their name anywhere in Australia for quite some time - though it is possible they still have a presence here - I just haven't noticed.

And yeah, I agree, this is the most stupid idea I've ever ever heard of! A good way for Yahoo! to commit suicide! :D

2. Michael Habel

It's soooo fucked up, and awful isn't the word. In fact, is there even a word for AOL outside of A O L? It's like those 3 letters are present around the internet, but they represent nothing. Several things come to mind when I hear Yahoo, but when I here AOL........

All I hear is S.O.L.!

2. Steve Knox

Makes sense to me. As of next year, whatever's left of this company certainly won't be Yahoo!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

What's in a name?

First, AOL who? "America Online" or "AL's Oil & Lube"? Nevermind, AL's has far too much credit to be considered by Yahoo.

Second, "Starboard Value"? Did they merge with "Overboard Value"? "Walk The Plank Investments"? I wouldn't be surprised if they list Autonomy+HP as one of their brain childs.

Here I sit poor and solo and would of never thought of this, all the while, there are multiple heads of an ENTIRE firm with millions that come up with this idea. The fact that Yahoo is even considering this should be a red flag to their own company of why they are where they are.

1. Friendly Neighbourhood Coder Dan

Re: What's in a name?

"Here I sit poor and solo and would HAVE never thought of this"

3. Mark 85

Hedge fund recommendations?

Oh pleeeese.... the only thing they give a damn about is their profit. Either they want Yahoo to be profitable to the point of insanity or they want to break the company up and sell off the pieces. They really have no reason to consider Yahoo anything but fodder for their profit feedlot. It's possible too that there's more money to made by selling off the AOL/Yahoo assets together than separately I'm suspicious.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hedge fund recommendations?

I never thought of that, but you're probably right. However, if you outright change Yahoo! to AOL, what does that do for share prices? Short term investments or not, I don't see how that name change could be at all beneficial. Why change your companies name to one of which is doing worse off than you?

4. Swarthy

odd investment strategy?

I find myself wondering if their investment portfolio includes shorts on Yahoo!, I can see no other way that Yahoo! changing their name to AOL could be good for shareholders.

1. Mark 85

Re: odd investment strategy?

The shorts idea is an interesting concept after making mucho money on the Alibaba IPO. Yahoo might actually not be going as south as fast as the hedge fund wants it. BTW, is Icahn associated with them in any way, shape, or form. Smells like his tactics.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Captain DaFt

My advice to Yahoo!?

Use the billions from Ali Baba to buy back stock and go private, shake off these leeches.

Then, concentrate a bit on letting people know what you already have, and improving that, rather than trying to buy the next 'big thing'.

Yahoo Education, Qwiki and the Yahoo Directory? I've been online for years, actually use the occasional Yahoo! service, and I've never heard of these!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I use two of the Yahoo! services - Groups and Flickr. ...or rather I should say I used to use them. I keep my logins just in case they come full circle and make those products useful again.

Even occasional forays into Tumblr when following searches are no longer possible. Their users are complaining that the latest Yahoo! changes are responsible for their page formats falling apart.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Goodbye Yahoo Directory

Before Google, you were our only map of the web, Yahoo Directory. The only one who would take us by the hand and guide us through the webernet. Besides Excite and Alta Vista and AOL and all the others, that is.

But you were the best, Yahoo Directory. Kind of. Well not really, actually you were a pretty crappy, disorganized guide and half your links were broken.

OK never mind - good riddance you worthless piece of garbage.

7. Lostintranslation

It's a lame duck tying a dead dog to its good leg. Why would you do that?

8. psychonaut

yahoo + aol

at least all the web retards would be in one place. then we could seal it off from the outside and *blip* - they're gone!

1. Not That Andrew

Re: yahoo + aol

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's a new generation of them on Reddit

9. graeme leggett Silver badge

AOL?

I thought they'd gone the way of all things a while back.

10. Dan 55 Silver badge

Is it time to archive my e-mail again?

Stories like this remind me to do that.

11. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

Obvious question for anyone outside the US

"Based on our analysis, we believe that a combination of Yahoo and AOL could offer synergies of up to $1 billion by significantly reducing the cost overlaps in their Display advertising businesses as well as synergies in corporate overhead," the letter reads.

Did anyone outside the US even know they had an advertising business like Googles? Ever since I found out, and tried to apply years ago, I was told it was US only. AdSense has had no such qualms. Now colour me naive, but isn't there a remarkable pattern between the time Yahoo has enforced this artificial restriction (i.e. for ever) and the stellar Ad profits Google has enjoyed, contributing to 98% of its revenue?

12. ckdizz

And here's me thinking they dumped the exclamation mark.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

No, they changed their name from Yahoo! to Yahoo!, and el Reg has followed suit when reporting on them.

13. AJames

Yahoo does have value

I've used Yahoo's email, calendar, contacts, and groups for many years, both at home and at work, and I've always been pretty happy to have all that functionality for free. Yes, Google and Microsoft have improved their offerings in recent years, and like everyone else I'm forced to use Google for some things, but I stick with Yahoo as my go-to choice. If they started charging a fee for business services, I would pay it. I just wish they would quit fiddling with the interface design. They keep breaking things while they are re-arranging them to no apparent purpose.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Depends

On whether AOL would be able to revive AOL's brand. I don't see that happening. Also, Yahoo are still pretty well known, because they've produced fairly decent apps for their mail and weather services. The Yahoo brand might not be what it once was, but it's far from toxic.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Depends

Are you sure about their mail and weather services being of any use whatsoever?

I have a yahoo mail account and every time they update it they somehow manage to remove any remaining useful features and make it harder to use and just more stupid. It also tends to fail on more browsers and devices and they intentionally cripple the "old" version by making it as useless as possible while still nominally keeping it the same.

As for yahoo weather, I gave up looking at that even purely for laughs a long time ago. It seemed to have some form of time-displacement problem where the weather it forecast and reported often seemed to have no correlation to actual weather or what was being forecast by other services. Just to be fair and reasonable I have just checked the yahoo weather for where I am now. A mere difference of 3 degrees in the current temperature (vs met office / bbc weather) and the 5 day forecast bears little relation to the met office / bbc weather forecast. Also in typical dumb-US style (the US is one of the three remaining countries on the planet to not use metric measurements), the mouse over tips only give information in Fahrenheit and not the selected / default temperature units elsewhere on the page.

15. Morrolan

The functionality of Yahoo! Mail depends partly on your ISP. Some ISPs (like mine) pay Yahoo! to host their email, and so for people like me Yahoo! Mail is actually pretty decent, and works fairly well.

The rest of the world... well it varies depending on their mood I think.

I still use My Yahoo! as an RSS reader. It's handy to be able to jump between systems and keep all my feeds.

The Yahoo! Directory didn't used to be called that. When it started that was just Yahoo!

That was the whole website. Just categorized links. And it actually predated Alta Vista, although not by much and AV was always a much better way to find stuff than Yahoo! was.

Yahoo! did give Apache to the world though. I wonder how fast the web would have spread with just the NCSA junk for free server software.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like