back to article Stanford Uni: Google cash leaves us entirely impartial and unbiased

A court document drafted by a recipient of Google's generosity appears to show that the latter comes with strings attached, prohibiting university researchers from investigating its controversial data slurping practices. The donation went to the Stanford’s Center for Internet and Society, which drafted the filing. The part …

1. ratfox

The way I read it, it is Stanford who wants to protect itself from accusations of impropriety, by ensuring Google money is not going to people who might be defending Google.

After the Lessig thing, it would make sense for the University to take steps. Now they can claim that Google is not paying their academics to write anything favorable to the company, since the Google money does not fund these people. See?

Of course, this is at best a semi-truth, considering Google money can fund other people working on unrelated things, and these other people would otherwise have to be paid by a different source of funds, which can now go to the privacy people.

2. John Lilburne

Keeping shtumm

If I say anything here it will either get rejected or heavily voted down by the Google fan bois.

--

They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind. So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

It can be voted down. So ?

It's not like they can kneecap you, now is it ?

We're not on Slashdot, there's no karma here. Go on and say it.

After all, concerning Google, in El Reg forums the general attitude is Google is Evil.

1. John Lilburne

Re: It can be voted down. So ?

[After all, concerning Google, in El Reg forums the general attitude is Google is Evil.]

You might think so ...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Keeping shtumm

I'm sure Google has special bots to downvote everything bad said about them...

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge

funding is specifically designated not be used...

Surely the whole point of money is that it's fungible? Once it's all stirred up in the pot, you can't tell one dollar from another.

Or are they saying 'if the only money we have is from *them*, we won't use it for *this*'?

1. SundogUK Silver badge

Re: funding is specifically designated not be used...

Surely the whole point of money is that it's fungible?

+1

Why do people not understand this?

1. Ian Michael Gumby
        Boffin

Because it's not fungible.

GAAP doesn't allow it when you have to keep accurate books.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I remember receiving an offer from the electricity company proposing to buy electricity produced by renewable energy.

I could just imagine them building a special cable to my home, bringing only the clean electricity, free of the taint of dirty nonrenewable nuclear-powered electricity…

4. James Haley 2

Fake Steve

I miss Fake Steve.

1. Stretch

Re: Fake Steve

did he Fake die? Can we hold a Fake seance?

5. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

So does this cash...

as part of the money Google spend of trying to get laws that favour them? Or is just this other money they use to brainwash people?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Same play, different actors

This is no different than Glenn Hubbard and his likes accepting "consulting fees" from, or serving on the Board of Directors to, firms, in the Financial Industry, for USD $1200/hour, while testifying to the excellent health of the US Financial System prior to the crash of 2008.

See the movie "Inside Job".

7. William Donelson

Don't be Evil

"Don't be Evil" - Hahahahahahahahah

8. Hargrove

For what it's worth

H. L. Mencken has been quoted as saying, "For every complex problem there a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

Privatization of academic research creates enormous issues with respect to public confidence in the basic integrity of science in the US. Intense competition for research dollars has, in my personal opinion, significantly degraded the basic quality and integrity of science.

Basic science is essential to the continued advance of human knowledge and quality of life. Private companies, even Google, have the right to contract with academic institutions, and such private funding has become an important source of funding. But let the parties involved be honest about it. Companies are funding private academic research for their own benefit and profit. Universities accepting it do so in large part for the aggrandizement of their institutions and the personal benefit of their faculty members.

The pretext that they are doing otherwise is ludicrous and offensive. Of course, Google doesn't want Stanford spending its money doing research on privacy. Let them say so in the terms and conditions of the grant.

The devil, as always, is in the details. Companies contract with academic institutions for research, to avail themselves of a corporate capability that has taken years to build. In the case of publicly-funded Universities, the cost of building that capability has been heavily funded by the citizens.

University policies pay lip service to their responsibility to ensure that the general public receives the benefits of its academic research. But, the notion that simply paying for a piece of research and allowing the university to publish a few academic papers is an adequate quid pro quo for acquiring exclusive rights to use of the resulting intellectual property is nonsense. It simply does not adequately represent the equities involved.

It's a complex problem, and simple, neat answers like the one offered by the CATO Institute are wrong.

(I had planned to conclude this post with a scathing critique of the logic of this CATO article. However, after several readings I personally was unable to discern any coherent logic in it. The link is provided if you're interested.)

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

the general public receives the benefits of its academic research

By not being allowed to see the papers generated by research paid for by their money - after all, they're not qualified, now are they? Wouldn't want to worry their pretty little heads with all these boring details...

9. Tom 35

Google's core business is consumer data-processing

No it's not. It's selling ads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google's core business is consumer data-processing

Exactly. The data processing including stuff like gathering and providing search results, handling user emails, collecting and display map results, and so on are simply the "cost of goods sold" taken against the revenue of ad sales.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Google's core business is consumer data-processing

An interesting fact to note is that Google only makes money when somebody clicks on an ad.

Which leads to the mind-bogging idea that there must be millions of people who regularly click on ads. I don't know who they are either.

10. Gannon (J.) Dick

Please, Andrew

This is just what my old friends at Google were saying ...

You said ... <parody>yabber yabber yabber</parody>

We say, (correctly) ... <parody pageRank="1">yabber yabber yabber</parody>

Don't you see the added value or are you an anarcho-syndicalist with leanings toward poor personal hygiene ?

Which is it ? Honest debate is healthy! For The Children!

Sincerely,

Larry L.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like