back to article Tearful LOHAN Playmonaut bids adiós to Spain

Our plucky Playmonaut is feeling a tad emotional today as he prepares to bid adiós to Spain and travel to Blighty with the Vulture 2 spaceplane, before shipping out to Spaceport America. Our rocket ship is back in LOHAN's substantial box, which will on Monday once again cross the Bay of Biscay, en route to an encounter with …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Bureaucracy till the last

"Suffice it to say, we couldn't get one in Spain, because we're not a registered business there."

Spanish Red Tape video

Coincidently, the origin of the phrase "Red tape" was from a bureaucratic practice in Spain.

It is said that the main tax office for the province looks like an M.C. Escher painting with funcionarios behind little poky windows inside but that could be vicious rumour - the critical mass of paperwork in there generates an event horizon at the front door which means nobody makes it back out to tell the tale.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Re: Bureaucracy till the last

This is getting to be quite a process, isn't it? Oh well, international space projects usually are, I suppose.

You'll probably have to get the box heat treated again before you bring it back!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bureaucracy till the last

I'm just trying to get my head around the idea that in time it takes them to jump through this wood related hoop presumably (tens of?) thousands of shipping containers are going to land in the US from all over the world and, oh yes, every single one of them is going to be sterile and, oh yes, honestly, every single one is going to have a totally genuine stamp and certificate to say so.

2. Pen-y-gors

Playmonaut?

I trust our heroic playmonaut will get his own seat in Business class, and not end up in the hot box?

3. dotdavid

now we have to get the bloody box heated to a minimum of 56°C for at least half an hour and then branded with hot iron to prove it

You'd better remove PANTS before things get too hot.

4. Elmer Phud
    Black Helicopters

Visa?

How did you manage to get a visa to the U.S. for the Playmonaut?

We've seen some very wild pictures on here.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Visa?

He's going in under a false passport as a Lego Minifigure. Let's hope TSA don't spot him, or they'll need to manufacture some really small rubber gloves...

5. Stephen 24
    WTF?

Entry to USA

Will you be getting your lawyers to live blog during the 48 hours you'll be spending patiently explaining this project to various members of Homeland Security as you attempt to gain entry to the USofA?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Entry to USA

Yeah, we've got a team on standby.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

Re: Entry to USA

Lester,

Can you attach emergency helium balloons to yourselves, and just float out of harms way?

6. Snivelling Wretch
    Thumb Up

Have you deliberately timed this to coincide with our Lindsay's West End debut? http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/24/london-laughs-at-lindsay-lohan-s-west-end-debut.html

Please tell me you are going to arrange a meeting of the two namesakes!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

I saw summat about that yesterday. We may have to wait outside the stage door wearing LOHAN t-shirts.

1. joeW

Surely it's Lindsay who should be waiting outside El Reg Towers, wearing an SPB T-shirt?

7. Cliff

Carnet

Does that mean you absolutely have to recover everything or pay duty on it? How does that work with so many consumables?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Carnet

and does launching them into space count as re-exporting them?

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Carnet

We get the consumables in the States, for that very reason.

8. WalterAlter
    Happy

God bless you LOHAN, the hopes of all humanity are wing suiting alongside your sleek armature of love. One day there will be a fusilage-shaped earthquake playing between the legs of any Sceptered Isle Demeter, available at your local sex shop.

9. AstroNutter

"We invite LOHAN fans to raise the traditional pint or two"

Yep, will do, just waiting for the engraved beverage container to arrive so that suitable raising of pint can occur.

10. John Gamble
    Pint

Raising A Glass for Brid-Aine Parnell

Not only for her ability to navigate bureaucracy, but also for her excellent articles.

11. Daniel Bower

Now to enter the US of A in style...

Your team on stand-by need to be suitably clad in cardinal outfits and when they start questioning you, you need to respond by saying 'I was only sent here to bring this spaceship - I wasn't expecting some kind of Spanish Inquisition'

Your suitably clad team can then leap out and much hilarity will ensue*

*Note much hilarity may not actually ensue as US border control don't really have much of a sense of humour.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon