back to article Cut-off North Sea island: Oh crap, ferry's been and gone. Need milk. SUMMON THE DRONE

A drone parcel delivery trial in Germany solves air traffic control problems by having nothing-but-drones airspace and no flying over buildings. The parcelcopter, a squat buggy-looking thing, is a four-engined remotely controlled helicopter with a parcel pod fixed to its belly between four curved landing struts. Parcelcopter …

1. Peter Simpson 1
    Happy

They seem to have alot of grass

Perhaps the solution to the milk problem would be a cow?

1. John Bailey

Re: They seem to have alot of grass

"Perhaps the solution to the milk problem would be a cow?"

Don't be silly.. Where would you mount the 4 little motors?

1. caffeine addict

If it can jump over the moon, it can jump over that little stretch of water...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/04/cat-helicopter_n_1567541.html

http://www.infowars.com/boy-resurrects-pet-rat-in-drone-form/

Just needs scaling up a bit.

3. EssEll
        Coat

"...4 little moo-ters "

Fixed that for you.

4. Smiffa

"Don't be silly.. Where would you mount the 4 little motors?"

Ask the Dutch chap who turned his dead cat into a quad copter...

Though seeing a dead cow with legs splayed and udders hanging down and flapping in the downwash does bring a certain set of images to mind...

1. DropBear

"¡Supercow al rescate!" - 'nuff said.

2. Stretch
    1. TRT Silver badge

Yes... A DHL aquatic drone...

Eine flotte von der unterseeboot gut werden würde. Der Wolf-package.

1. Peter Simpson 1
        Mushroom

Re: Yes... A DHL aquatic drone...

Perhaps some sort of rocket powered, unmanned airplane? They should have some of those left in a cave somewhere, shouldn't they? Just remove the original payload, add package, and Bob...er...Werner's your uncle!

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Flame

Mail delivered by rocket is not a new idea believe it or not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_mail

1. proud2bgrumpy

No indeed. I have used Rocket Mail myself in the dim and distant past ( http://www.rocketmail.com )

2. LemmingO

and they say Germans are not punny...

2. Muscleguy
      Boffin

Density

Hmm, a swimming drone battling waves and currents in a fluid as dense as dihyrogen monoxide (made denser by various salts, glycolypids etc) vs a flying drone battling currents in a largely nitrogen gaseous environment (okay occasionally made denser with the above mentioned fluid in gaseous or fine droplet form)? Which is the easier engineering and energetics challenge?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Automated deliveries of supplies to a small island in the middle of the sea? Sound ideal hi-tech solution for an extended occupation of Rockall. Assume you'll be onto this as soon as LOHAN is over!

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

460 km is a bit further than 12km

Given that you probably need one of these to get there in a manned whirlybird, assuming you want to go there and all the way back.

(The hover at Rockall will burn a fair bit of fuel)

4. Alister

Shirley, if the weather is bad enough to preclude full size flights, or sea voyages, then the drone stands no chance? I bet the average wind speeds up there aren't far off the drone's max cruising speed.

1. Rikkeh

True, but if it's something really urgent, like medication, it'd be much better to risk a drone or two than a crewed boat.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Down

"Shirley, if the weather is bad enough to preclude full size flights, or sea voyages, then the drone stands no chance?"

There's no mention of weather in the article. It says "During the trial it will fly when ferries from Norddeich and piloted flights are not available" which implies that it will fly between ferry sailings or after the last sailing of the day when there are also no pilots available to fly out for very urgent small consignments such as medical supplies.

Ok, weather does get a mention further down the article, but only in reference to the typical weather for the area. Weather bad enough to preclude ferry sailings or piloted aircraft would also preclude small drones such as this one.

A number of commenters further down also seem to have missed this point.

1. Muscleguy

Except the drone can fly safely at a much lower altitude than a crewed copter. Meaning a lower cloud ceiling than the copter is allowed to fly in. If you installed a radio beacon on the island with a receiver on the drone etc. It could then fly through pea soup fogs.

3. Rustident Spaceniak

Bad weather is a problem, bad tide is not

The ferry boats to Juist normally go only once per day, as they're dependent on tides - it's partly a mudflat sea when the tide is low. So flying is certainly a good option. Hovercrafts would be too, but they're nasty noisy smelly foreign things.

5. Sureo

"Birds are still a hazard though"

Got to mount a laser cannon to take care of those pesky birds.

6. Carbon life unit 5,232,556

Wouldn't it be easier to train dolphins

To swim across

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: Wouldn't it be easier to train dolphins

Wouldn't it be easier to drink black coffee?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This could help rid the streets of couriers. Just think of the business opportunities opened up to fat kids with Xbox controllers if this could be gamified.

1. Muscleguy

Hmmm, dodging duelling cycle couriers (easy to see/hear etc) vs having a delivery drone and cargo drop on your head without warning because too fat kids got too 'gamified' and forgot it was actual meatspace they were flying in? Which would you choose?

Also we are used to checking both ways when crossing the road, hard to do when you are constantly scanning the skies for falling drones.

8. Arctic fox
    Thumb Up

I have to say that this is...........

.........a most good humoured thread. I have had a good chuckle over several of the posts!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I have to say that this is...........

".........a most good humoured thread. "

On the other hand - if the drone had been delivering doors or pears....

1. dotdavid

Re: I have to say that this is...........

...or if it had been developed by Apple... ;-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Relief from above

At last, my EpiPen is coming!

1. Steve Knox
      Coat

Re: Relief from above

Juist in time?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was all set to be impressed

Then I saw those dreaded initials DHL. Those jokers might as well adapt a trebuchet and fling over the packages. or only the fragile ones.

Incidentally, what happens if you are out? Does the drone just jettison the package in the sea and make for blighty?

And finally, a drone delivered my parcel this morning. Name of Kevin.

11. Buzzword

It's time to give serious consideration to installing city-wide pipes for goods delivery. Just as we have water pipes leading to every house, we could have an Amazon pipe - no more than two feet wide - delivering small packages. Robot vehicles would scuttle through the pipes carrying goods. Once arrived at their destination, they could drop their payload (or wait for the recipient), then drive back to base automatically. No danger of bird strikes, air traffic, or poor weather. The pipes would be fairly cheap to build since they're just dumb pipes: no fancy engineering needed. All the smarts are in the robots, which can be upgraded as technology advances. Since they are ground-based, they would be much more energy-efficient than flying drones.

I have no idea what this would cost, but it certainly seems worth exploring.

1. Jason 41

@Buzzword

Tenacious D already thought of that - Tube technology, the scientists are on it!

"The second decree: no more pollution, no more car exhaust,

or ocean dumpage. From now on, we will travel in tubes!"

NSFW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGsFP1_kxiY

2. Crisp
      Boffin

A system of tubes

If those tubes are pneumatic, then I'm all for it!

(Conceivably, if the tubes were large enough, you could use them to transport people, Futurama style...)

3. JLV
      Joke

>drop their payload

uh, uh, I can see the next James Bond plot already. Recipient is Prime Minister or the like.

12. knarf

1.2Kg ..about the size of a kebab

mmmmmm,,,,, kkeeeebbbabbbbbbbbb

13. Hargrove

You're all mad. . . Mad, I say.

Small-minded people always make fun of true visionaries.

They laughed at Irving Forbusher's stainless steel unbreakable balloon. . . and his design for the floor stand to sit it on . . .

They laughed at Joe Billy Bob's idea for the self-cleaning possum . . .

The laughed at George Martin's (C. F.'s younger brother) when he invented the steam engine powered player ukulele, and at Martin Estuaries revolutionary idea for decreasing the steamboat's weight by drilling holes in the hull. . .

They laughed at Eric Schmidt's idea for . . . Oh wait, that's a real one.

I could go on. . . Reader's rejoice, I will forebear.

1. Beornfrith

Re: You're all mad. . . Mad, I say.

I am very sorry; I suffer from shaky hands and just managed to fling my tablet half way across the room. In doing so I seem to have hit the down vote button. I'm not sure how I managed that but I do apologise!

1. petur

errr... you could hit the upvote button which would then - by magic I'm told - change your downvote into upvote.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Just to confirm, I just downvoted you then upvoted and it worked as advertised.

2. Beornfrith

Oh, cracking - I didn't realise!

14. David Kelly 2

It will be a real advance when appliance operators quit trying to invent drone service with off the shelf toys. One needs fixed wing aircraft to efficiently serve this remote island and quite frankly something like a Piper Cub or Cessna 172 with a human pilot would be cheaper and more reliable.

1. Rustident Spaceniak

Cessna...

Such a flying machine is available there but operating on a fixed schedule, and the fare would be somewhat high for a single ad-hoc parcel.

15. Hargrove

And at the risk of . . .

Spoiling an otherwise highly entertaining discussion, a serious comment and a follow-on to @Buzzword.

The UAV rotorcraft application is a good example of a company willing to take baby steps before launching an idea off the cliffs of hyperbolic speculation. As Neils Bohr is famously reported to have observed, making predictions, particularly about the future, is hard.

A few years ago @Buzzword's suggestion of a subterranean network of tunnel would have been a pipe dream. Today directional drilling is ubiquitously available, and the service affordable enough to be used for installing underground power lines for individual rural residential use. One can postulate all kinds of problems and scenarios under which it might not work. And, just as many where it might.

The overriding problem is that whatever poor schmucks do the heavy lifting of getting something of value are almost certain to face litigation from some technology holding company. This will be based on claims awarded by the USPTO for what amounted to an as yet unrealized theoretical concept.

(I once saw a patent for a "nanotechnology material" with a broad set of hypothetical useful properties, to be comprised of any material--liquid, solid or gas. If memory serves this was the same patent that had 55 overarching claims and no figures.)

16. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

12 kilometers of water

Bad weather, heavy wind and rain, I think the drone will be found in Davy Jones locker... that being said, why not a pneumatic tube passing just around the locker. They have miniaturized a helicopter, why not a submarine?! I doubt any of the weather issues would be at play under water.

1. AstroNutter

Re: 12 kilometers of water

Wonder what the rip tides are like?

2. Rustident Spaceniak
      Black Helicopters

Re: 12 kilometers of water

See above. The water goes missing at low tide, therefore flying is actually a good idea.

17. Niall Wallace 1

Sucessor to Rocket Post?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The puzzle of the Skies

They are planning an invasion, and it won't be the first time

1. Rustident Spaceniak

Re: The puzzle of the Skies

Nope, the island gets invaded every summer, by tourists. That's what they live off.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The puzzle of the Skies

You have never heard of Erskine Childers have you ?

Here's a link

http://psychogeographicreview.com/the-riddle-of-the-sands-3/

19. Dave Bell

It sounds like a fair situation for a trial. Good safety, a demanding environment, and replacable payloads.

Guys, I depend on regular medication deliveries. I put my repeat orders in with time enough to fix things if something goes wrong. If I were a resident of Juist, I would know how much allowance to make for tide and weather.

This doesn't change anything, and if something went wrong with the flight it would hardly be a problem to replace a consignment. Though I have a suspicion that the my local Doctors/Pharmacy rely a little too much on a just-in-time supply chain. This is the pseudo-privatised NHS here, and they will do things differently in Germany.

Anyway, for those who didn't know, the DHL brand is the German Post Office. They're not some dodgy parcels company, or a subsidiary of Amazon, or whatever. They'll know where this might be useful. And, like the rocket mail between the wars, I bet the collectors will have some specially postmarked stuff to drool over.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"Pilot project" for a UAV ?

Had a momentary double take on the legend in the pic, oh dear.

21. JustWondering

What's that?

Skeet shooting with prizes, you say?

22. dubious

quad copter

Wouldn't a fixed wing machine be faster, less affected by buffeting/crosswinds, less complex, cheaper, more reliable, and potentially capable of lifting more cargo?

Launch and landing are quite probably more complicated but is largely a solved problem.

A hybrid quadcopter-fixed wing would be more interesting than a straight up QC.

1. Pookietoo

Re: A hybrid quadcopter-fixed wing would be more interesting

Or a mini ekranoplane.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like