back to article Galaxy Note 4 latest: Samsung rushes iPhone 6 Plus rival to China as Apple flails in dark

Perhaps looking to cut Apple's iPhone 6 Plus phablet off at the pass, Samsung is rushing out its 5.6-inch Galaxy Note 4 smartphone in China and South Korea ahead of schedule. Sammy said on Wednesday that its large screen Android phone will be available in South Korea on 26 September, with the Associated Press reporting China …

1. Nate Amsden

5.7"

I checked again to be sure but the note 4 is 5.7" not 5.6.

Note 3 is 5.7 too. Typing this on a note 3

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Only me!
      Pint

Re: 5.7"

To be sure, to be sure.......it's St P's Day after all

2. VinceH

Duh! Withdrew my previous post, which was obviously the result of not enough coffee yet.

For some reason I read your post as saying the Note 4 was only 4.7 inches.

3. FredBloggs61

I still can't decide whether the Notes/6+ are just that little too big for a phone.

I am still using an old galaxy S3 as I haven't found anything interesting or innovative enough that is worth another two year contract commitment.

I know that things have improved since the S3, the speed could be better, display could be brighter.

But are the newer options really worth committing into a contract that means I wouldn't be able to upgrade again for a long time?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I still can't decide whether the Notes/6+ are just that little too big for a phone.

I am still using an old galaxy S3 as I haven't found anything interesting or innovative enough that is worth another two year contract commitment.

I know that things have improved since the S3, the speed could be better, display could be brighter.

But are the newer options really worth committing into a contract that means I wouldn't be able to upgrade again for a long time?

I agree. My contract is up in a couple of months and I had myself convinced that I'd get the new iPhone or a Galaxy Note 4. I wasn't all that impressed with the iPhone and when they finally announced the Note 4 I found myself looking at the specs and prices of a Note 3 instead.

I think we've hit the peak in terms of features and everything now just seems to be slight refinement / adjustment. Both the S5 and the Note 4 are heavier than the phones they have replaced, which I guess is down to bigger batteries, but the reviews I've read indicate that you don't really see much of a difference in terms of battery life.

When my contract expires I think I'll switch to Sim only plan and wait for a phone that ticks all the boxes -

5.0 inch or bigger screen

Splash / water / dust proof

MicroSD card

Replaceable battery

Real improvement in battery life

A bit thinner / lighter than my S4

Finger print scanner would be good too

If they'd made the note 4 splash proof I would've been tempted, but there just seems to be a real lack of ideas out there at the moment.

2. I Like Heckling Silver badge

I agree

"But are the newer options really worth committing into a contract that means I wouldn't be able to upgrade again for a long time?"

I agree with your comments entirely, I'm still using a HTC Desire HD (released end of 2010) that I picked up in 2011 from a friend who had it as an upgrade. It was far, far cheaper than buying a new phone or signing up for a contract.

I stick to very cheap contracts without much commitment. I currently pay £9.90 for my contract which gives me all the minutes, text & data that I need... I'm on wifi 90% of the time, so it's only when out and about that I need it... Yet to hit the 1gb limit each month.

The phone can be slow compared to others, and I know it's never going to be upgraded past Android 2.3.5... But it does what I need it to and although I am considering a replacement shortly. It's likely to be a Nexus device free from carrier bloatware. But it's got a great little camera and can still do 720p video, so it's still good for snaps when out and about.

I have always refused to pay through the nose for a subsidised phone and be tied to a long term contract and I cannot understand those who so willing throw away silly amounts of money on the latest piece of fashion tech (no matter who makes it).... and before anyone suggests I can't afford it... I can, I just have far better things to do with it.

But then again... I've always conformed to non-conformity ever since I was a teenager.

3. big_D Silver badge

@FredBloggs61

I gave up on the contract upgrade cycle. I just buy the phone I want now, last time I bought mine over Amazon Warehouse Deals and saved around 200€ over how much it would have cost on the contract.

1. Only me!

I do the same.....but the providers are starting to offer VERY little in way of doing this.£1 -£5 a month off a sim deal, but do not now have to give you no phone! ££££ for them!

4. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

FredBloggs61,

My friend got a Note 2 about a year ago, on my advice. And I had to set it up for him, as it was my suggestion he move off the iPhone. It was a hell of a lot harder to set up than an iPhone, because of having so many options.

But I was amazed by it. Having previously thought the HTC Desire and Wildfire were the best smartphone case design, for being sturdy, easy to hold and compact. At the time I was using an iPhone 5 and a Lumia 710. Which I was very happy with. But the amount of screen you get on the Note 2 is amazing, and I found it really easy and comfortable to hold. I do have big hands though. And the S-Pen is wonderful.

The Note 3 and 4 are quite a bit bigger though. Well into the territory of mostly two handed operation. Which isn't a problem for most things, but I do like to be able to operate the phone function one-handed, when I'm carrying a briefcase.

4. Avatar of They
    Happy

Does it bend

Given Apple are meant to be world class, 'bending' phones is a bit worrying. Looking at the Note 4 as my next upgrade from the Note 2 and I really need to know if it bends.

Come on el Reg, get one and give it a road test. :)

But early release dates are a good thing. (As long as it is ready and not just being rushed)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does it bend

There's a video on youtube of someone who bent the 6 plus trying to bend the note 3. It doesn't bend at all. The S4 however bends and snaps apparently...

2. big_D Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Does it bend

What? Bending phones? Samsung and LG charge their customers extra for a bent phone. Apple users should consider themselves lucky, that they haven't been landed with an extra bill. ;-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5 11/16", shirly?

If you insist on using outdated, none SI units, you should be forced to use them properly. You don't want to use the metric system, fine - then don't use decimals either.

1. Dan Paul

Decimal inches

Measurement is in the eye of the beholder. Metric is a conspiracy to make your beers and gallons of gas smaller, make Frenchmen think their dick is bigger that it really is and confuse Canadian drivers who think that 40 kph is the same a 40 mph.

There is nothing wrong with the use of decimal inches. YOU are a cowardly measurement NAZI (who can't spell surely)!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"If"?

"or kill the ability to make calls when the firmware is updated".

You're assuming that there will be firmware updates... for an Android phone??? No danger of that then! ;o)

1. SS2011
      FAIL

Re: "If"?

I have an android phone and tablet both gets get regular up dates and bug fixes, perhaps you should stop living in the past. Researching which device you get helps. :-P

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like