back to article Chipzilla promises $6 billion to upgrade Israeli plant

Israel is to sling Intel a handy US$300 million and a ten-year tax break to persuade Chipzilla to stroll out of the Mediterranean and upgrade a chip plant in the country. Intel says it's spending US$6 billion to upgrade the fab, and according to Reuters it will be hiring an additional 1,000 staff in its Kiryat Gat facility, in …

1. nanchatte

Intel: Because investing in warmongers' counties is sure to turn a profit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It would be ironic if they wanted the cash to offset the cost of their pledge to go conflict-free by 2016: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/03/intel_says_conflictfree_transition_set_for_2016/

2. Rampant Spaniel

The USA is hardly shy in using force either.

1. asdf

>The USA is hardly shy in using force either.

Funny that is not what the right wingers are saying about Obama. Still yeah the US is sure a lot better at breaking countries than fixing them including our own lately.

1. Rampant Spaniel

TBH I wasn't coming at it from a left or right angle, just an honest observation. The US has been a global police force and military force for quite some time. There are some links between the arms industry and politicians that give cause for concern. What confuses me, perhaps worries is a better word, is that there isn't really a consistency. Take Somalia and Rwanda for example.

I try and believe the motives are genuine, most peoples probably are, but often the implementation is sub-optimal. Perhaps it's worse that other countries are slow to move if they do at all when it comes to international military action?

3. James12345
      Facepalm

6.1M Jews in Israel - 300M Muslims in the Middle East.

Of the 300M Muslims, about 300M are taught that Jews have no right to self determination and those that don't submit to Muslim rule should be killed.

You say that Israel is the warmonger - I think you may be a bit confused and don't understand the situation correctly.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

investing in warmongers' counties is sure to turn a profit.

You can easily find a bunch of other countries to put your money in???

Maybe Wales??

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Intel: Because investing in warmongers' counties is sure to turn a profit."

Intel: Because investing in a terrorist state that the US supports is sure to turn a profit.

There - fixed it for you.

1. James12345

"Terrorist state" - what a schmuck.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Sad to say it

but I wonder how long it will be before the first Arab/Moslem state bans the use of computers with Intel Chips?

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Mushroom

'Infidel Inside'

It could be a new marketing slogan!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Gis Bun

Compared to the rest of the Middle East, Israel is a technology leader by far. Just about every major company has some type of R&D facility in Israel.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Compared to the rest of the Middle East, Israel is a technology leader by far"

Only until the oil runs out and the Americans loose interest. Then the whole region will likely end up as the worlds biggest glow-in-the dark glass car park...

1. Philip Lewis
        Headmaster

For f* sake, it is "lose interest".

That is the third broken spelling I have read today - I despair :(

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"That is the third broken spelling I have read today - I despair :("

It was a typo on a swipe type keyboard rather than ignorance!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hi density brainpower

IIRC Israel has the highest density of scientists in the world - this probably has something to do with it.

I am sorry, I cannot remember where I read this.

4. ColonelClaw

"Tax holidays" piss me the hell off, in any country. It's the nearest thing I can think of to legalised bribery, and it's being perpetrated by bloody governments!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like