back to article Apple: Beats Music is safe with us. Just like your selfies in iCloud

Apple has denied rumors it is shutting down radio streaming service Beats Music, which it acquired with Dr Dre's Beat Electronics brand this year. The iThing giant told reporters on Monday that blog posts alleging the service will be discontinued are "not true". Apple didn't reply to our request for comment. It was rumored …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple branding just doesn't appeal to the urban demographic.

1. dan1980

@J J Carter

I mean this absolutely in the spirit of genuine inquiry, as I am an Australian and thus don't think 'Urban' means the same thing to me as it may to you.

What is the 'urban demographic'?

In Australia, what I would consider the 'urban demographic' is very much in love with Apple. Indeed, every time I see someone with Beats headphones, they are plugged into an iPhone. (Or iPad.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@dan1980

Ah with typical antipodean flair you have managed to hit the nail on the head.

In Australia 'Urban' is defined as the place you hang out to barbecue your prawns, other countries may call it the back yard or garden.

The Australian 'urban demographic' are white males in vest tops hanging out in the yard with a few tinnies waiting for the prawn to brown.

1. dan1980

Re: @dan1980

@AC

Kudos for 'prawn'.

1. thomas k.

Re: prawns

Those aliens from District 13? Have big barbies the Aussies must

1. TheOldGuy

Re: prawns

Err.. do you mean District 9?

2. Fair Dinkum

Re: @dan1980

Vest top = wife beater

Tinnies = cans (of beer)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@dan1980; "What is the 'urban demographic'?"

In a US-derived context, "urban" is essentially the latest in a long line of codewords and euphemisms referring to black (and black-derived or influenced) culture and music, like "race music" and "soul" before it.

3. John H Woods Silver badge

urban demographic ...

... judging from my experience of Beats headphones, it is those who prefer their music to sound as if it's coming through the wall from their neighbor's 'crib'.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A Black Gangsta Rapper does not fit in with the White Middle Class Apple management.........

There will be an eventual distancing from the Ghetto to the Bay areas..

1. Flywheel

>> There will be an eventual distancing from the Ghetto to the Bay areas..

Yeah, but they'll always remember their roots, right?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since the death of Jobs, Apple have lacked a true leader.

That's why they've brought Dre in. With his undeniable genius he can surely take Apple to even greater heights. I've heard rumours of the iChronic - a digital app-enabled bong, and a collaboration with Remington for the iMagnum - a digital app-enabled .44 revolver with built in camera.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Since the death of Jobs, Apple have lacked a true leader.

the iMagnum - a digital app-enabled .44 revolver with built in camera.

Only if the Google Gat doesn't beat them to market.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure they'll keep Dre

They need some bell end rapper because shouting violent misogynistic bullshit over a beat, and not being quite literate enough to spell your own name properly is what Da Ghetto Yoof aspire to. U2 doesn't quite cut it down in da hood.

1. Chizo Ejindu

Re: I'm sure they'll keep Dre

And i suppose some wretched heroin addict strumming a tuneless dirge on a guitar and whining into a microphone about how his life is shit is similarly aspirational to "Da Ghetto Yoof" as you so eloquently put it?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm sure they'll keep Dre

"And i suppose some wretched heroin addict strumming a tuneless dirge on a guitar and whining into a microphone about how his life is shit is similarly aspirational to "Da Ghetto Yoof" as you so eloquently put it?"

No, thats for middle class wannabes. But at least indie rockers as a rule arn't pathetic inadequates with cartoon jewellry who can barely speak their own language never mind a foreign one and advocate beating up women or promote violence and guns.

4. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

LOL

My hypothesis that it was a kick-back scheme arranged by the senior management at Apple suddenly looks more plausible now...

5. Julz

Beats Me Why I Should

care about a service I can't use...

6. Frankee Llonnygog

Beats or no Beats

iTunes will still be shit for classical music

1. Martin

Re: Beats or no Beats

But you wouldn't want to listen to classical music through Beats headphones either.

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Beats or no Beats

Very true! Not till they come out with a coal-fired, tweed-covered model

7. CrosscutSaw

The lousy headphones!

They should instead fix the awful sounding Beats headphones.

1. Tromos

Re: The lousy headphones!

The people at Apple probably think the headphones are quite good having put up with Apple earphones for years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like