back to article The British Museum plonks digital bricks on world of Minecraft

The British Museum has enlisted the help of Redditors to get a model of the museum and its exhibits into the highly popular Minecraft game universe. An employee from the organisation’s Museum of the Future project said in a post to the site that the museum had agreed to back an effort to recreate itself in Minecraft and asked …

1. MyffyW Silver badge

I vote for a recreation of the disused "British Museum" underground station as seen in the Neverwhere TV series.

1. toxicdragon

I am one of those sad people that would kind of enjoy that, but then I am one of those weirdos that use the metro on GTA 4 and have the routes memorised so I am probably the person least suited to talk about fun in games.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Forgive my ignorance @toxicdragon: when you say "Use the Metro" are you referring to the British Leyland motor vehicle or the Tyne and Wear light railway?

- Confused of Merioneth and Llantisilly

1. Crazy Operations Guy

@ MyffyW

He means the pubic transportation system in the video game, which is set in the US (can't remember if its NYC or LA). Their are numerous cities around the world that use the term 'Metro' for their public transportation systems (short version of "<city/county> Metropolitan Transit Authority"), and despite what you think, most of them came up with the name themselves and didn't copy the UK.

1. toxicdragon

Re: @ MyffyW

NYC, well the game version Liberty city its called, which is based off New york with extra bits.

2. Allan George Dyer

didn't copy the UK? Re: @ MyffyW

Too right, the first one is called the Tube. It's really difficult to mis-type that as Metro.

2. Simon Harris
          Unhappy

@ MyffyW

"are you referring to the British Leyland motor vehicle"

The face of a GTA player if all they get to drive is a Metro ------------------------->

2. phil dude
      Thumb Up

or...

Dr Who and Yetis?

I never saw it, but read about it....!

P.

2. i like crisps
    Stop

Would this mean that...

...The British Museum would be owned by Microsoft? Can't trust the Yanks...always trying to re-write history with films, books etc.

1. i like crisps
      Stop

Re: Would this mean that...

U571......Pearl Harbour.....keep downvoting.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Crazy Operations Guy

By that logic, the British museum is also owned by the Architect who drew up the blueprints, any satellite imaging company, and anyone that has ever taken pictures.

Also, you can't trust the British, always going to other countries around the world; stealing the shiniest stuff they can find and sticking it in their Museums; and then when anyone complains: claim 'Finders, keepers'.

1. i like crisps

Dear Crazy op's Guy,

Just basing my concerns on the Google/Facebook model, whereby if you use their services to upload original works, photos, videos etc...they then become the property of those American companies.

As regards not trusting the British...im in complete agreement with you...just think if Churchill hadn't kept the computer inovations of Mr A Turing and Bletchley Park a secret we might be 25yrs+ further into the future than where we are now. By now we should be on Playstation 7.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Minecraft the new 2nd life?

Has Minecraft become the new 2nd Life? Anyone remember that place?

(I just checked on it and surprisingly it's still going strong)

4. Joe_H
    Joke

"As regards not trusting the British..."

Q: Why does the sun never set on the British Empire?

A: Because God doesn't trust them in the dark!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "As regards not trusting the British..."

Precisely, Americans say "In God we trust" - in Britain we can say "God's scared of us"...

5. mix
    WTF?

I hope Mojang turned a profit after selling it for $2.5bn.

6. Spleen

If it wasn't built in Survival Mode it doesn't count

"...and here we see the jewelled crystalline chamber pot of King Llam-e-dos. This sacred artifact is five thousand years old, and truly priceless. Any questions? Yes, you, the small green boy with the curious skin problem."

"...sssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" *BANG* *crash*

7. kbbbb

"never managed to turn a profit"???

Where did the author hear this? Mojang turned a profit of about 128 million US dollars in 2013, on revenues of over 300 million

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon