back to article New UK.gov DATA SLURPING diplomat to push US telcos to share more subscriber info

The British government has appointed a senior diplomat who will act as a go-between on overseas data access jurisdiction issues, to push communication providers - particularly those based in the US - to share more information with UK spooks. The new post, created by Prime Minister David Cameron, comes after Whitehall pushed …

1. Mark 85

My first reaction was WTF?

I'm now wondering if maybe the 5-eyes haven't been doing as much sharing as Snowden and other revelations have said. Someone's getting our info so why not just drop all pretext of privacy and hire Google to slurp for everyone? I'm thinking they have just as much info on everyone as anyone else.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Black Helicopters

Re: My first reaction was WTF?

I'm sure they are, it's probably more about them needing to make a request to the right organisation and getting that information they already know about into the judicial system and it seems they're having problems doing that with all those pesky checks and balances.

Why don't they let the judicial system just use the intel they've got? I guess that might be pulling back the curtain too far too fast.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
        Holmes

Re: Why don't they let the judicial system just use the intel they've got?

I've got a better idea...

Why don't they just take their evidence to a Judge, and ask for a warrant?

Isn't that what plod has to do if they want to poke around my "real" stuff? You know, specific allegations regarding real offences. Not just suspicions of being "in possession of an offensive wife"!

2. channel extended

Communication problems.

Appearantly having to actually follow the law is a prob. for the Cameron Govt. It makes me think the UK is becoming less democratic and more Imperial.

3. Gannon (J.) Dick

A friend in need is a conspiracy waiting to happen

"In July, Cameron expressed frustration with US communications providers for "severely constraining" the work of spooks in Blighty over jurisdiction issues, by citing a conflict of legislation between US measures and UK law."

If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to hide bitch about, Mr. Cameron. If spook work is much easier on this side of the pond, let me ask, do you envy their power over ordinary citizens ? You want that for Blighty ?

If your spooks need a hug, say so, but do not intimate that a little less supervision is appropriate.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free enrollment?

As a citizen of the U.S., I want to know where I can enroll for these free Spying classes that Cameron is pushing for. I'm getting tired of people of other countries receive grants, tax "perks", free trade, etc..., while I sit here as a U.S. citizen and get NONE of this. In fact if I try to receive these benefits, I'll probably go to JAIL !!

So, are the spying classes over there -->? Over here <--? Here --^?

1. xyz Silver badge

Re: Free enrollment?

So, are the spying classes over there -->? Over here <--? Here --^?

I think the way it works is if you don't know where they are, then you don't need to know...and if you did know where they are and told anyone where they are, you get banged up....welcome to the wacky world of "The Man" where your liberty is "protected" by them making sure you're fit* to be protected.

* fit in this case meaning "docile enough"

2. Graham Marsden
      Black Helicopters

@MyBackDoor - Re: Free enrollment?

> I want to know where I can enroll for these free Spying classes

Ah, but the qualification for enrolling in the classes is being able to find them yourself!

5. Vociferous

Good luck with that.

Ain't gonna fly, baby.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

Anyone think Cameron thought this one up by himself?

Elect a PR goon this is what you get.

PR.

You can bet the usual group of vermin advisers have been "having a quiet word" to "explain" to call-me-Dave that "this is how it's done, blah blah" and like a good little sock puppet he's trotting along.

7. M7S

Switzerland

I understand that they have some pretty strong and well observed data protection laws there. It would be enlightening to see the effect, if any "diplomacy" has in that jurisdiction.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Switzerland

" It would be enlightening to see the effect, if any "diplomacy" has in that jurisdiction."

As a tax haven for foreign crims and tax avoiders that is hugely depdendent upon financial services, Switzerland is hugely vulnerable to any form of official or unofficial sanctions. If the US want something the Swiss will put on a pantomime of defiance and delay, but the IRS will be handed their data.

Once upon a time Switzerland did offer anonymous banking. Nowadays they appear to readily cooperate to name foreign account holders to those countries tax authorities (as a quick google will show). Obviously if you're rich and well connected enough, you may still get the anonymity you want, but if you're just common or garden nouveau middle-riche then you'll be dobbed in it without a second thought (not that I've a lot of sympathy).

8. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    WTF?

I can almost hear America's reply already...

The polite version is pretty much going to be "nope, never going to happen, how dare you ask for this information about US citizens".

I can imagine the American media having a field day on this one.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: I can almost hear America's reply already...

@Zippy

First, after the polite version has been played out, the actual version will be more like, "OK, you'll find the information you need/want here... oh, and we'll expect an appropriate quid pro quo when we ask..."

Second, how little you know about our corporate media.

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Re: I can almost hear America's reply already...

Didn't work with the Extradition Act though. Britain didn't get the quid pro quo in exchange. Likely that the same would happen again - UK gives carte blanche to the USA to do what it likes, gets nothing in return. Always happens with law enforcement matters.

9. i like crisps
    FAIL

Some wounds never heal

Don't think they've ever forgiven us for burning down the Whitehouse #1

10. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

Why does this sound like...

... Waaah! They got lotsa snooping powers me want them too...!!!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why am I not surprised?

The wording is suitably ethereal and vague, which means it could be applied to virtually any snooping situation. When will these politicians learn that they have been elected to serve the people? I personally wouldn't trust Cameron and his cronies any further than a collective throw and I am getting really, REALLY tired of reading (almost day after day it would seem) further revelations of innocent people having their data slurped by either the NSA or GCHQ in obscene quantities - all allegedly in the name of combating terrorism. Utter bilge, I say. It's all about the people that we, the populace, placed in government going power-crazy once they get there and trying to find more and more ways to control the population, so they can retain their positions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like