back to article A spin of roulette in the sporty Ford Fiesta Black

A car is either a head or a heart purchase. If you look at numbers and depreciation, you buy a BMW. Emotion and passion, on the other hand, stereotypically leads to an Alfa Romeo. The new Fiesta Red and Black editions try to be both. It comes it the two colours favoured by roulette, so we took it for a spin. The car we tested …

1. Graham 24

Environment too, not just economy

>>> And it has automatic stop start ... This is all done in the name of fuel economy ... It's a £200 option, so would need to save a lot on petrol-guzzling to justify itself.

It's done as much for people walking past the car as much as those paying for the fuel. Nobody likes breathing in exhaust gases.

>>> it has the highest output per cubic centimetre of any car in current production.

Don't think that's right. Some of the exotica has it firmly beaten (e.g. McLaren P1 at 191 bhp/litre, although strictly speaking not in production any more), and for more mainstream metal, the Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG and Audi S3 are ahead (181bhp/litre and 148bhp/litre).

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: Environment too, not just economy

Autostop just takes a bit of getting used to - if you don't want to disengage it, and you don't want it to stop on this instance, just keep the clutch down. Another advantage (on my little A3, anyway) is that if you stall (so I'm told :-) ) it restarts automagically.

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"People might see you in it."

As above.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Environment too, not just economy

I have the 180 1.6 Ecoboost in a Focus Estate which I bought on the premise that it could get 'up to' 47mpg. It was also bought as a balance on fuel economy, road tax acceleration and speed.

It also has stop start which can be overridden with a press of a button.

However, after 11700 mile average fuel consumption is.... 36mpg. My previous car a 2.0 diesel Ford would average 52mpg so it's not my driving style that is at fault.

Ford are renown for their optimistic fuel consumption figures on their Ecoboost engines.

2. Steve Knox

There is another reason to buy a particular car

If you look at numbers and depreciation, you buy a BMW...

It's interesting how brand value propositions differ region-to-region.

Here in the States, for example, people who buy BMWs are, as over there, not deciding with their hearts. Generally they are not, however, deciding with their heads, either.

Well, not the heads you're speaking of, anyway.

1. Cipher
      Joke

Re: There is another reason to buy a particular car

@Steve Knox

Or the Corvette when that head is deciding...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, I think that the actual sentence should read "If you look at numbers and depreciation and are older than Simon Rockman, you buy a Toyota."

By the way - "off beat thrum" - is this a triple with a cheapo 180 degree crank like the awful Laverda motorcycle once had, or is it a proper triple with 120 degree crank? Because, if the latter, it should be perfectly smooth with just a small balance shaft for the rocking couple, and firing every 240 degrees.

1. Eddy Ito

My understanding is that it's an even firing engine without a balance shaft. In lieu of a balance shaft they have created a counterbalancing couple in the flywheel and pulley which are each out of balance on their own.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tiny, forced engines don't inspire confidence when it comes to long-term reliability

I'd imagine fixing them quickly becomes uneconomical once the car's out of warranty.

Guess it's all part and parcel of our throwaway society?

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Tiny, forced engines don't inspire confidence when it comes to long-term reliability

I don't think engine wear is an issue from major manufacturers. I've driven cars hard until the tow truck comes to take them away. Millions of bugs and grains of dirt had stripped paint from the car, all wheel bearings loose, the transmission howling, spot welds cracked, the second round of engine oil seals leaking, second O2 sensor getting slow, brittle electrical wires, and the interiors starting to show some stuffing. Pistons, oil rings, valves, and cylinder walls were always good as new. I wouldn't worry about a turbo.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
        Boffin

Re:all wheel bearings loose, the transmission howling, the second round of engine oil seals leaking,

Ever heard of a thing called a "service"?

And as for "I wouldn't worry about a turbo", is that because it's not the turbo that usually fails, it's the turbo bearings or oil seals?

Generally taking something expensive with them. (Like the rest of the turbo... Or the whole engine if you're really lucky. (Thanks Peugeot))

Give me a nice belt driven blower any day.

1. Eddy Ito

turbos

The problem with turbos historically has largely been temperature control. The bearings fail because the turbo and bearings tends to be screaming hot when folks kill the engine and thus stop oil flow. Without oil circulating through to cool it and the stagnant oil in the bearings the oil would coke eventually seizing the bearing or sending a nice hard piece of coke into the engine upon restarting ruining whatever it came to. With modern synthetic oils this isn't quite the problem it once was, in fact some reports are that synthetic oil doesn't coke period. Also engine builders have learned quite a bit over the last few decades about keeping the temperatures in the turbo under control which would be a requirement if said engine has an auto-stop feature.

1. russell 6

Re: turbos

Ahh joyous memories of my long gone Saab 9000 Aero. Now that was a wolf in sheep's clothing. Turbo heaven

1. jungle_jim

Re: turbos

Have an upvote on the Saab. I recently upgraded my 9-5 2.0lpt to a 9-5 2.3 FPT estate (uses identical engine, turbo, injectors as the Aero variant) stuck a stage 1 remap on it and it is hysterical.

Another wolf in sheep's clothing!

2. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

Re: Tiny, forced engines don't inspire confidence when it comes to long-term reliability

Junk yards are full of pristine crankshafts.

Everyone is paranoid about engine oil. Then the control arms rust off.

Daft. Completely bonkers.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have a Fiat 500 Twinair on a three year lease. When it was delivered I asked where I had to take it for servicing. The chap looked up the paper work and said "6,000 miles a year for three years? You don't need to. First service is at 18,000 miles"

875cc turbo-charged engine? What do they do, replace the whole thing at each service?

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

I certainly wouldn't buy anything American made/designed

I'd trust that engine to last about 20 minutes past the warranty period, if I was lucky.

I wouldn't trust the rest of the kit that far, especially that dash. I'd think those buttons would last about 2 months in the Florida heat before they stopped working. The screens usually last about a month and a half before they start warping or going rainbow.

1. fishman

Re: I certainly wouldn't buy anything American made/designed

... I certainly wouldn't buy anything American made/designed ...

My Mercury Sable wagon has 238K miles on it, and it's been almost troublefree - better than my wifes Toyota Camry with 190K miles. And I tend to beat on my car - jackrabbit starts, running it at 75-80 mph all day (it's made numerous trips of 700 to 1000 miles in a single day), driving it in rush hour traffic on the Washington DC beltway for 10 years.

BMW, Mercedes, VAG? nice cars, but when they go (and they do!), it costs big bucks. Even some of their biggest advocates won't own them outside of the warranty period.

2. annodomini2
      FAIL

Re: I certainly wouldn't buy anything American made/designed

The engine was designed in Germany and the Chassis in England.

5. DJO Silver badge

Repairs vs Depreciation

BMW, Mercedes, VAG? nice cars, but when they go (and they do!), it costs big bucks. Even some of their biggest advocates won't own them outside of the warranty period.

Not sure if in pure financial terms that's a sensible option. Buy a new car for say £16,000 and after a few years it's lost over half it's value, but buying a "pre-owned" model and you only pay a fraction and you might have an expensive repair bill but it's unlikely to equal the depreciation of a new car over the same duration. Personally given the choice of a new Ford Fester against a 5 or 6 year old Merc I know which I'd choose.

6. Simon Rockman

Depreciation

My 21 year old Merc is at least flat on depreciation and maybe even increasing in value. It's just had an MOT. The only thing it needed was a new tyre and there was an advisory on one seat belt.

OK, so it does a third of the MPG of the Fiesta and is much slower, and not nearly as much fun.

Simon

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon