back to article 'People have forgotten just how late the first iPhone arrived ...'

This was the week when IBM told a bunch of staffers that their skills weren’t up to scratch. To sort the problem out, Big Blue says it’s going to force them into mandatory training and make them give up ten per cent of their salaries for the privilege. In an email to workers, IBM said: A recent assessment revealed that some …

1. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

First iPhone late

I remember waiting for it to be released, then never ever bought one, ever. Don't ask what dinosaur I'm using for calls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: First iPhone late

Oh go on. Don't tease us...

I'm using an old Nokia that I bought in Saudi in 2003. Been dropped many times as well (it has a case) including from the back of a Motorcycle going along the M4 a few years back.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Did you happen to be flying over Siberia on any of those times? It'd explain a few of the holes.

2. Richard Taylor 2

And it was worth the risk walking a few hundred meters (assuming you were not crawling) back on the M 4 to find it? Either you have a very poor view of your self worth or its a little unbelievable

1. Juan Inamillion

Oh I don't know... Many years ago I had a Motorola TAC flip phone, one of the early ones. It was in it's holder on my belt (oh yes really! Remember when we did that!) and it fell out while on my GSXR-750 travelling from Shepperton studios to a nearby pub for lunch. I didn't know until I'd got there. I went back along the country lane and found it, albeit in a couple of bits, but I even found the spring for the flip. My electronics engineer mate put it back together for me and it worked perfectly for the next year or two!

Happy days!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It took place around 03:00 in the morning and took place at a spot where there are two junctions only a couple of miles apart (39 & 40). So a quick 'U' turn and re-traced our steps. We found it on the hard shoulder. The case was scuffed but the phone was good.

If it had been a time when there was a lot of traffic then I would have just left it where it was.

3. Cpt Blue Bear

An ex lost hers riding pillion. A mate following us saw it happen and picked it up. I have no idea how he managed to pull up in time 'cause we were doing well over 100km/h. For the record the bike was jelly mold CBR1000 and the phone was a Moto StarTak, which dates it nicely to the late '90s. The phone suffered a broken hinge but otherwise survived unscathed only to be drowned in suspicious circumstances a few months later.

It seems that losing and recovering phones like this wasn't as rare as I thought.

@ Richard Taylor 2: You have to remember that phones became a disposable item relatively recently. Fifteen years ago even a basic phone was over $100, and they were real dollars back then, not the Aussie Pesos we get now. Then there was the hassle of getting a new SIM. So, yes, back then you did turn around and go back for it.

[Yorkshire accent] But you tell the kids of today and they don't beleive you. [/Yorkshire accent]

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"...calls." ?

Is that an app?

2. Vociferous

Rupert "Prince Of Lies" Murdoch

"Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp wrote to European competition commissioner Joaquin Almunia protesting that the authority had not done enough to stamp on Google’s search market dominance"

Murdoch complaining about market dominance. Isn't that just freaking rich.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rupert "Prince Of Lies" Murdoch

Indeed. Also, if "a healthy media in Europe and beyond" really was one of Rupert's concerns, I'd have a couple of suggestions...

3. Earl Jones Of Potatoes

It had nothing, yet it changed everything

quite intrigued by the point of this article other than the usual apple bashing to satisfy the grown up kids.

"Indeed" the first iphone had nothing, yet it changed the whole industry for good. Even ElReg predicted back then that "it will fail and fail badly"...... that I call the "nothing to see, nothing to read rubbish" that elreg has published over the years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like