back to article Pop open this iPhone 6 and see where the magic oozes from ... oh hello again, Qualcomm

Apple's new iPhones have been torn apart to reveal their innards – and we're told if you're prone to lobbing your new handset at the ground, there's a good chance it's repairable. The chaps at iFixit have given both the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus and 4.7-inch the iPhone 6 seven out of ten in terms of repairability, after tearing …

1. Philip Lewis

Which major chipperies missing?

"Apple-designed A8 64-bit ARMv8-compatible system-on-chip: it has a couple of billion transistors, is manufactured by TMSC using a 20nm process"

Ha!

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Which major chipperies missing?

ARM design enhanced by the ARM SoC design house Apple bought in so they didn't have to keep buying Samsung (1st iPhone was using Samsung SC6400 family).

1. Steve Todd

No, ARM didn't design it, Apple have an architectural licence like Qualcomm that lets them take the paper spec that ARM create and design their own silicon.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>>No, ARM didn't design it, Apple have an architectural licence like Qualcomm that lets them take the paper spec that ARM create and design their own silicon.

Unclear if they started with an ARM design or took an existing one and improved it, though.

2. John Tserkezis

"The chaps at iFixit have given both the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus and 4.7-inch the iPhone 6 seven out of ten in terms of repairability"

Shocking. It's just shocking I tell you. What next from this topsy turvy world we live in? Samsung reduces phone bloat? Nah, never going to happen.

1. returnmyjedi

Re:

IOS 8 now has a plethora of uninstallable apps, few of which I actually use:

Stocks.

Weather

Notes

Reminders

Newstand

Games centre

Compass

Health

Passbook

Voice memos

iBooks

Tips

So if anything the new crown for bloatware king is designed in california.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge
        Stop

Re: Re:

Clarification required, are they uninstallable, or un-uninstallable?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re:

Well of your list, there's only three I don't use and one I don't use very often

3. Rampant Spaniel

Interesting, did I read it right? They are using 3 separate chips for the PA's. Qualcomm's gobi PA's have 2g, 3g, HSPA and LTE all on one chip. I would have thought that would better suit apples simplicity approach better, perhaps the power use or unit cost was higher? Are the non qualcomm chips GAAS or CMOS?

1. dogged

They don't contain enough unicorn tears.

4. Cliff

More fixable is good

Back when there was such a thing as manufacturing in the UK many decades ago, I did a degree in Manufacturing Engineering. One of the courses even back then focused on making kit easier to strip down to access or recycle. With the quality of engineers Apple can employ, I was upset at all these solid blocks of glue they'd make, increasing to waste, and so am actually pleased they've taken a fresh look at this.

It's not going to cost them sales (the point of being a fashion brand over utility brand), and is hopefully just going to mean less pollution when the handsets are crushed and burned for minerals on some Asian backstreet in a decade.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: More fixable is good

Glue makes items easier to disassemble for recycling - the items are passed through an oven and then come apart more easily than devices that require unscrewing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

good job

Quite a few users getting burnt by apple wave charging.

http://favstar.fm/t/512627909023248384

Are all iPhone owners this dumb?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: good job

>>Are all iPhone owners this dumb?

You mean, as dumb as someone who reads a twitter post and automatically assumes it's true?

6. ukgnome

I know it's boring

but this could help cut down insurance fraud. Now if only we could work on fake receipts and improve bullshit detectors.

7. handle

My laptop's display is glued together

...and at a year old, the "glue" (some variation on double-sided tape by the looks of it) started to come unstuck at the point of maximum stress - the hinge. Before display, backlight, touch screen or aerials failed, I applied epoxy resin adhesive, clamped it shut to set and so far it's holding, fingers crossed.

The laptop is made by S*msung.

1. LosD

Not glue

"The iFixit team said the handsets' simplified design and the use of adhesive strips make the components easier to replace."

This sounds very similar to "some variation on double-sided tape".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like