back to article Reg bloke zips through an iPHONE 6 queue from ZERO to 60 SECONDS

World+Dog descended upon the flagship London Apple Store today in an attempt to get their sweaty mitts on the phabulous new iPhone 6 Plus. This Register reporter was on hand a little after the shop opened, to get a sense of why on earth people would queue for weeks just for the opportunity to buy a phone which is only …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What losers, wasting their lives queueing up like that -

Time that could be better spent posting on internet forums.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: What losers, wasting their lives queueing up like that -

Or drinking beer? It is Friday after all....

2. whatevs...

Re: What losers, wasting their lives queueing up like that -

Says the anonymous coward posting on a 'tech' website.

2. psychonaut

retards

Just fucking retards

1. SuccessCase

Re: retards

I don't understand the Facebook generation's desire to post status updates all the time.

1. psychonaut

Haha! Sorry that was my yewtree alter ego posting there

1. SuccessCase

+1 for good humour. Not everyone has it you know.

2. ItsNotMe
      FAIL

Agreed...and all for a stupid...fucking...telephone.

What a pathetic bunch of losers...and for a telephone that looks just like a Samsung Galaxy S5.

3. Carbon life unit 5,232,556

well it's a hobby

3. Lyndon Hills 1

Selfie

Uploaded to iDrive to be shared with 4chan, and the rest of the world?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Selfie

Technically, you don't have to /share/ anything with 4chan, you just have to create it.

4. MikeyD85

It's the beginning of the end

When people start referring to a photo of a person or persons taken by a third party as a "selfie".

NO ITV! It's a ****ing photograph!

1. ChrisBedford

Re: It's the beginning of the end - you're confused

<quote>When people start referring to a photo of a person or persons taken by a third party as a "selfie"</quote>

No I think you missed the point, and so did 27 people who upvoted your post. The pair /went on/ to take selfies, /that photo/ wasn't the selfie, nor did ITV say it was.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

very insightful observation, Ali.

"Either that or they've got something better to do."

He must be married.

1. Trainee grumpy old ****
      Trollface

Re: very insightful observation, Ali.

>> He must be married.

If he was married (or in a relationship) he would have known the correct answer: They got their husbands / partners to queue and get it for them.

6. JDX Gold badge
    1. Yugguy
      FAIL

Re: Not as good as Oz

Funny as....

7. Shoot Them Later
    Paris Hilton

I'm probably going to get some flak for admitting this in this place, but I have a reservation later today to buy an iPhone in a London Apple store during a 1 hour time slot (it's time to replace the other half's 4S, although she doesn't know this yet). I can't work out if I'm supposed to queue (to actually get in the shop, rather than having to queue just to experience the hype properly). On the first morning of pre-orders, I went to the apple store, chose to reserve for collection instead of delivery (mainly because I wasn't committed to actually buy it that way, as collection is not pay in advance), picked a model and time slot.

I've never done this before (bought an Apple product anywhere near launch day) so I don't know how it works - in a normal shop I'd just saunter in at the start of my slot, say I had a reservation and pay, but in the crazy world of Apple hype it surely can't be that simple.

I note that the reserve for collection option is no longer available so it was obviously a limited number of slots, which makes me hopeful.

Anyone actually done this?

[Paris to reflect my level of cluelessness, although she would obviously not have to queue for one. Or order one herself]

[Oh and don't be fooled by my attempts to appear above the Apple hype. I am obviously a total sucker for it]

1. Pet Peeve

There will be a table with all the reserved units, and you'll stand in line in front of it when your time comes up. At least that's how it works here. I have never done the in-store line thing (I mail order on launch days), but I've gone by the stores while this was going on.

The nice thing about reservation lines at the store is that you're probably not standing outside like a knob.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I'm probably going to get some flak for admitting this in this place, but I have a reservation later today to buy an iPhone in a London Apple store during a 1 hour time slot (it's time to replace the other half's 4S, although she doesn't know this yet)."

SACRIFICE HIM TO OUR GODS!!!!!

Just joking.....good luck.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh, do report back on the experience

so we can all join in with the fun!

Joking aside, I've bought one for my other half and like yours, she does not know it hence my posting Anon. It is her *0th next week and we are going in a little trip (another surprise so I won't say where but it is related to the fruity company in a roundabout way)

1. Shoot Them Later
        Go

Re: Oh, do report back on the experience

Many happy returns to your other half. So you can all join in the fun...

It was a surprisingly painless experience, if you ignore the severe wallet pain involved in buying a possibly ever so slightly overpriced iThing.

They have a special 'reservations' queue, next to the proper one (which is full of people who look suspiciously like they may be planning to sell their purchase on), which moves pretty fast, then they usher you to a Special area like the Special person you are and swiftly extract lots of money from you in the most cheery of manners. No whooping, high fives, fistbumps or whatever the young people do these days, but maybe they reserve those for the morning. Or for people who look in some way cool.

[Only one downvote so far for coming out on el Reg as a day 1 iPhone purchaser? Whatever are things coming to....?]

1. VinceH

Re: Oh, do report back on the experience

"[Only one downvote so far for coming out on el Reg as a day 1 iPhone purchaser? Whatever are things coming to....?]"

You may be a day one iPhone purchaser, and you may have openly admitted to being a sucker for the Apple hype - but in spite of all that, you still took a more reasoned and sensible approach to buying the product, rather than quamp* to get the new shiny. I suspect that may be a big factor in the lack of downvotes.

* Quamp. I just made that up as a portmanteau word to mean to queue and camp, which is what the real suckers do. Quamping for the new iToy.

8. RockBurner

DM links??

Has the Reg sunk so low??

9. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

You don't need to wait for iPhone release day to enjoy the fun

You can enjoy the experience anytime you want here.

10. spudmasterflex
    Pint

Why?

Got mine on pre-order and sold to some poor sap for a massive profit on flea bay( didnt want a 2007 iphone with a bigger screen)

I just dont get the thing of waiting and having to be first or even paying top dollar for something that will be available to everyone in a month or so.

Back to my lovely Android and £300 beer token money for the weekend.

Thanks mr iBuyer for lining my pocket :-)

11. Jamie Jones Silver badge

call that a queue?

Again, weird Apple cultists, but this time in Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cwXWb_Rei0

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: call that a queue?

100,000 people line up to see a soccer game - it's just another game.

100 people line up to buy a phone - it's international news.

Just another example of the media dreaming up interest in non-stories.

1. ChrisBedford

Re: call that a queue?

[quote]100,000 people line up to see a soccer game - it's just another game.

100 people line up to buy a phone - it's international news[/quote]

Umm yeah - When last did you see people queueing for a week - or even 12 hours - for a game of footie?

In fact who actually queues up to buy a ticket at the game? Doesn't everyone buy them in advance and just walk right in to the stadium? I sincerely doubt anything like even one-tenth of 100,000 people ever stand in a queue (even when you add up all the queues at 20 entrances to a stadium) of any sort, at any time, at any stadium, anywhere, ever.

12. Yugguy

Seriously can anyone explain to me why?

Why queue to be the first to get anything?

You're the first for about 2 milliseconds. And then everyone else has theirs.

Wait a little while and

a) you can buy it at your leisure

b) you'll probably save some money.

Although I think I might buy a few Iphone 7s when they come out just so I can flog them on to some retards on fleabay.

13. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

Doncaster / Scottish?

Lucky escape there - I was born in Doncaster. It was often said that they would vote for a monkey if it wore a red rosette. Little did they realise that the theory would be proved years later when Miliband junior took the seat.

14. RainForestGuppy

Why no Women...

because they appreciate that IT'S JUST a BLOODY PHONE!!!!

It'll still be exactly the same if you buy it tomorrow from a Carphone, O2, EE etc shop.

Especially when they are queuing for days just to by a clone of a 2 year old Galaxy Note II.

15. wowfood

Hah

On the article itself, I love teh response of 5 years to how long have you been here. This actually happened to a friend of mine, asked a guy at the bus stop how long he'd been here "About 6 months". My mate just facepalmed, started laughing before saying "I meant at the bus stop"

As for the apple following. If it suits them then that's fine. Everyone has their own hobbies. Personally I think standing in line for a few hours for a phone is daft, then again in a week or so I'll be standing in line for a few hours to get into eurogamer... and then in march I'll be doing the same thing for comicon, so who am I to judge.

1. Yugguy

Re: Hah

To be fair it's a good point.

There's a bloke across the way from us spends 4 hours on a Sunday washing his car.

Each to his own.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hah

The difference is, you'll be queueing up to attend a one-off event, which won't be there in a couple of weeks time, whereas these people are wasting their time standing outside a shop to buy a phone that will soon be available in every phone shop, Asda and Tesco in the land as well as Argos. Luxury item my arse.

16. sisk

"They can't handle it," he said. "Either that or they've got something better to do."

Something better to do than stand in line for something you really don't need for 12 hours when you can walk into the store and get it tomorrow without dealing with much of a line? Surely not.

</sarcasm>

17. Paratrooping Parrot
    Facepalm

It could have been worse

Imagine queueing for so long and then as soon as you are about to pay for the iPhone, you realise that you left your card/money at home. :p

18. Snivelling Wretch
    1. gotes

Re: Portrait video?

Glad someone's mentioned it!

19. fearnothing

In future please give warnings on Daily Fail links? Now I have to scrub my browser history with bleach.

20. John Tserkezis

It's all so pointless.

I bought my Samsung, sitting on my fat arse, all from the comfort of my spongy chair in front of my computer. It later arrives on my doorstep, where I briefly get off my fat arse to get it.

Similar to the way I'm making this post in fact.

My point being, the actual act of purchasing a mere phone shouldn't be much more than just that. Life's too short for sitting outdoors in a queue. I have more important things to do. Like writing this post frinstance...

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

According to a survey of the queue from Gadget insurer Protect Your Bubble, 41 per cent of Apple fans were waiting in line for the iPhone 6 Plus, 30 per cent for the iPhone 6 and 29 per cent were queuing for both handsets, 100% of those that queued were morons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like