back to article Bacon-related medical breakthrough wins Ig Nobel prize

Is there nothing that can’t be solved with the judicious application of bacon? Apparently not, as this year’s Ig Nobel Prize for Medicine winners can attest. The boffins from the US and India took home the gong for their paper on treating “uncontrollable" nosebleeds by packing the nose with strips of cured pork. The Ig Nobels …

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

Well deserving of an Ig Nobel prize!

Not only does it work, but it smells nice and therefore is also good for the appetite

I mean, I am getting hungry just reading about it. Hmm, a Vimes Special BLT sandwich with a pint of Winkles Old Peculiar, just the ticket

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well deserving of an Ig Nobel prize!

Isn't that a BLT without the L and T? Very relevant in the context, nobody has tried lettuce to stop nosebleeds. Or tomatoes.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Surely if you shove a whole tomato up someone's nose, there'll be no more room in there for any blood to come out? Then you throw the lettuce in the bin, and eat the bacon sarnie. Job done.

2. VinceH
        Coat

"nobody has tried lettuce to stop nosebleeds. Or tomatoes."

I am reasonably sure that under some circumstances lettuce can indeed stop tomatoes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I guess my post was William Empson's missing eighth type of ambiguity.

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
        Happy

Isn't that a BLT without the L and T? Very relevant in the context, nobody has tried lettuce to stop nosebleeds. Or tomatoes.

Roughly. It is a Blt sandwich. the subliminal lt are a vain attempt to keep Sybil happy

2. petur
    Boffin

night time

I enjoy night time, but because it increases productivity, when noise and light levels are low so one can concentrate...

1. Slacker@work

Re: night time

given the conclusions of the research does this mean you are a burglar or a sex worker?

1. breakfast Silver badge

It definitely increases productivity for both those professions, so I guess they could be either.

2. Naughtyhorse

either way he's helping the economy

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

"given the conclusions of the research does this mean you are a burglar or a sex worker?"

Perhaps, a sex burglar.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

While I do tend to stay up late, can I just make it clear that I have never poached my mate.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Sorry, that's no defence. Saying that you only buried them in a shallow grave, and what's all the fuss about you didn't actually eat them, is not going to cut any ice with the jury at your trial.

On the other hand, if you'd eaten the evidence like a good boy, you wouldn't have this problem. Didn't your old Mum bring you up proper? You can't have a new victim, until you've finished eating the old one!

1. Ralph B

Oh, stick it up your nose!

4. Grikath

Children of the Night...

I think that one is meant as a prime example on the correlation <--> causation pitfall.

At least..... I do hope they're not actually serious about that one..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Children of the Night...

Well, indeed. If they'd asked 250 newly-minted mums or dads about how they feel about staying up late and partying, they'd have probably got a very different result.

2. Rampant Spaniel

Ditto. The peak at night is likely due to factors such as concealment or targets being asleep rather than people who are awake late are murderers and perverts. Now if you had said elected officials or employees of a large public service broadcaster then maybe you would have been onto something. ..

1. Captain DaFt

" found that those awake late at night tended to display greater antisocial tendencies."

From the school of bleedin' obvious. If you don't like people, you're going to be more active when there's less of them awake and about!

5. Elmer Phud

Bacon a roll again

New products on the horizon:

Bacon nose plugs for all but the Abrahamic faiths

Free-range Rare-breed (etc.etc.) Bacon plugs

Fake Bacon plugs for the almost vegetarian

Quorn substitute Bacon plugs for others.

(Of course 'Bacon' is capitalised!)

6. phil dude
    Joke

psychology ~= science...

This statement may be true - psychology is not a science.

P.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: psychology ~= science...

This is true, to be a science there must be explosions (or implosions), maths gets an exception for its ability to make people's heads explode. All the rest is just basket weaving.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

Meanwhile

My possible linking together bread yeast and a rare autoimmune disorder is completely ignored, despite no one being able to give an alternative explanation for my improving health.

Apparently, unless someone whose name is prefixed with "Dr" comes out with something, it isnt real.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Meanwhile

I'm sorry to hear that. Is this something you have been able to either demonstrate on a larger sample size or fully explain the mechanism for?

Journal etc do tend to limit work from outside academia because it's more likely for an academic to follow the required protocol and present a robust proof. I'm not attempting to belittle your work, quite the opposite. Firstly I'm glad you are recovering. Secondly, to take it further you need to try and repeat your results (which to be fair can be tough) on a wider sample size, do so in a controlled manner (so it's ethical, safe for the subjects and you are better able to prove that the factor you are controlling is the driving the change) and hopefully also demonstrate how it actually works.

It may be worthwhile approaching people working in the field to work with you and share credit.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile

I may be collateral evidence but as my GP points out, the medical profession, for from being research-oriented, is actually very slow to take on change. (There are sound reasons for this, such as Wakefield and thalidomide, but it took an awfully long time for the work on helicobacter pylorii to sink in.)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"that's where we put our heads together"

That's how you hurt your nose.

9. Chris G

A spur

This should encourage more serious research into the therapeutic properties of bacon which I am sure are far reaching.

For example did you know that taking Bacon on a date can lead to sex.

Particularly if you treat her really well!

10. Mark 85

Before I punch myself in the nose for a nosebleed....

Is cooked or uncooked bacon required? If uncooked, I'll just cook and make a sarnie. If cooked, I'll still make the sarnie but then enjoy the smell of bacon all day. Hmmm. Nevermind... I'll just forget the punch in the nose, make the sarnie and rub some bacon grease on my moustache.

11. Neil of Qld

Anti social at night?

Guess that explains all the vampires wandering around

Or is that the beer?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The boffins from the US and India took home the gong for their paper on treating “uncontrollable" nosebleeds by packing the nose with strips of cured pork."

Bad news for those whose religion forbid pork.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Bad news for those whose religion forbid pork.

Only if they forbid cotton wool as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Are you kidding?!

I'm not religious and I'd ban cotton wool.

It makes a terrible sandwich

13. Dr_N

"Bad Science"

After reading Ben Goldacre's book recently all I ask myself now,

on seeing these type of articles on "research", is:

Who got paid how much, to help hawk what?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Bad Science"

Yep - "follow the money" is a good mental habit to get into when you are deciding on the validity of something.

For example I note that the iPhone features rather heavily in New Scientist this week and on numerous news sites across t-interwebs, even when the new v6 is not being reviewed.

Cheers

Jon

14. All names Taken
    Alien

Try this?

Favourite tinned soup, warmed up and in a bowl.

Ladle on top some scrambled egg (the fluffy kind not microwaved leather imitating the real thing)

On top of that sprinkle salami and chorizo thin snips dry fried in a super hot pan.

No?

15. across the pond

Might be a pig in a polk!

Researchers failed to mention that many patients receiving the bacon treatment develop a craving for truffles. Oink.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon