back to article Register journo battles Sydney iPHONE queue, FONDLES BIG 'UN

If the big queues for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus at the Broadway Apple Store in Sydney, Australia are a reliable augury, mighty Apple is back on top form, el Reg can report. Thanks to a timezone advantage, Aussie Apple outlets open earlier than any others on the planet. The Register dropped in for the iPhone 5 and iPhone …

1. ian 22

iOS 8 impression

Installed iOS 8 on my (admittedly obsolete) iPad 2 and iPhone 5 and found it hesitates as I enter text. Either this is Apples way of encouraging me to upgrade to fit for purpose hardware, or it is a failing to be corrected in version 8.1.

1. ThomH

Re: iOS 8 impression

I have iOS 5 on my iPad 1. It introduced some severe hesitation, which was never corrected.

... but at least you can try an alternative keyboard? It's unlikely to help but you never know.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have iOS 5 on my iPad 1. It introduced some severe hesitation, which was never corrected.

... but at least you can try an alternative keyboard? It's unlikely to help but you never know.

I decided to sacrifice on of the iDevices (mainly to the God of curiosity :) ).

Initially it lagged, but that disappeared later. Not sure if that is because it had to re-index the device, but the lag is less now. I can't tell you much about the predictive keyboard - I reckon it has to learn yet and I generally use iDevices for consumption rather than creation so that may take a while.

For the rest no real issues with functionality yet other than that they added some "Tips" thing that is impossible to nuke, and worse, by default hooked up to notifications so it disturbs you with, well, really simple things. I went through its content (8 units, no real surprises), then stuffed in a folder I don't intent to look at (it also contains the News stand icon).

1. Steve Todd

Yes, you can nuke Tips. Just go to notification settings and turn off notifications for the Tips app. Job done.

2. Winkypop Silver badge

1.1G download!

FFS

3. werdsmith Silver badge

I did the same on iPad2, and noticed the hesitation sometimes. I put it down to the 20 downloads of apps that have been redesigned for iOS8, including the almost 1GB GarageBand.

Or:

iOS.millisecond_tick()

{

if(this.device == 'iPad2' or this.device == 'Iphone4S')

{

sleep(100);

}

else

{

// do some work

}

}

Before the geeks weigh in, this is deliberately oversimplified. OK?

Edit: this editor online input thing messed with the indenting and line feeds too.

2. Mikel

They look like amazing devices

Still no mid market device though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They look like amazing devices

They look like amazing devices

Yeah they do. I was looking at ways I could buy out the remainder of my contract that I got an S4 with, so I could buy one of these.. Then I did some research and it really isn't worth it.

there is only 1 gram and 2 mm in the design of the 4.7 inch phone and the S4 despite the S4 having a bigger screen and better resolution / PPI as well as double the RAM and double the processor...

iOS8 seems to have got off to a bad start seen lots of negative reviews from friends who've upgraded on their 5S devices. Apart from the finger print scanner / apple pay and iOS8 this really is just an average phone. I'm just going to leave it and let my contract run its course then weigh up my options...

The iPhone looks amazing, but it just feels like a real lost opportunity. They couldn't even make it waterproof FFS. That sort of thing should be coming as standard now on phones

3. P. Lee
    Coat

>a plot to pull a random citizen from the streets, murder them by beheading

No, what they said was, they were going to put an iphone on someone's head and try to hit it with an android^H^H^H^H^Harrow.

1. VinceH

Re: >a plot to pull a random citizen from the streets, murder them by beheading

"an android^H^H^H^H^Harrow."

an anarrow ?

4. styx-tdo

So, the audio quality of the PHONE is sub-par, but the author gets tempted to switch back to Apple?... somehow, it seems mobes have moved from a .. you know, thing to talk over to something else, apparently.... *sigh*

1. Alain

Speakers

It's my understanding that he was speaking of the speakers, not the earpiece.

How much of your phone conversations take place in speaker mode?

Anyway, such not-so-good rendering at both extremes of the audio spectrum is irrelevant to human voice.

I'm not saying that this couldn't be regarded as a serious flaw for other uses, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Speakers

As other makers of expensive large phones can provide decent speakers, surely the point is that the most expensive phone of the lot by far should do so too?

5. werdsmith Silver badge

"Overnight temperatures in Sydney fell to 9.2 degrees C.

A warm night then. Apparel to match, would be jeans, polo shirt, maybe light jacket, in a queue of people in a confined space you wouldn't need the jacket.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Coat

I was wondering about the softie Aussies. Here in Yorkshire that's midday in summer.

1. Rampant Spaniel

You forgot to add inside with the heating on :)

6. Rampant Spaniel

Just curious about the 1 GB RAM. It doesn't make much sense to compare it directly to Android, but in comparison to other iPhone wouldn't the full hd screen require more RAM. The amount of RAM reserved for graphics went up in at least the note series when they went from 720 to 1080, it Apple kept the RAM the same and increased the resolution wouldn't that decrease the RAM left for everything else ? Has anyone seen any impact from this?

Again, genuine question, not an anti Apple rant.

1. Steve Todd

The iPad Air has the same 1GB of RAM, and an even higher resolution 2048 x 1536 screen. No, it isn't a problem. iOS is much more restrictive over what it lets run in the background, and (IIRC) compresses memory images to save space.

1. Rampant Spaniel
  7. Zap

Boring Article

What a boring article, nobody give a shiiite about queues and chinese nonsense, write about the iPhone6 not all the rest.

I am guessing that the time zone meant the Editor of The Register was asleep and this awful article slipped through.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Boring Article

Are you new here?

8. petur
    Meh

About the author

I understand that bias is never avoidable, but this is a bit over the top. Also, second article in a week with such incredible bias.

Journalist or fanboi that can write?

Can we have some more balanced articles please?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: About the author

>Can we have some more balanced articles please?

Wait until the full Reg review. They are usually pretty even-handed, regardless of gadget species.

2. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Didn't spot much bias here. Usually at the Reg it's the other way round - kicking the crap out of Apple and bigging up Android...

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

The Reg takes the mick out of everything mate.

9. A 31

odd ...

I went to pick mine up this morning ... all the phone shops were opened early, no queues, walked in, picked it up, and gone in 10 minutes. Had there been any queues, I'd have just picked up my veg at the market and come back next week. I'm not sure people in UK are that fanatic about iphones anymore, it's just a phone ... a nice one at that, but that's all it is. Seems like our aussie cousins still have the Apple bug.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: odd ...

If the article is right, it looks like it is a Chinese status symbol, not an Australian one.

I speculate that in much of China having $1000 to splurge on an iPhone is a bit like having the money for a Rolex or an Audi TT over here, and fits the same demographic.

2. KroSha

Re: odd ...

Big queue at the Covent Garden Store this morning.

10. Truth4u

I didn't read the article

I just wanted to say the picture looks strikingly like a death camp.

1. D@v3

Re: I didn't read the article

queuing up for the re-education centre

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like