back to article Man buys iPHONE 6 and DROPS IT to SMASH on PURPOSE

In the queue to buy the iPhone 6 today, Vulture South met a chap named Alex McCredie, the founder of Sydney iThing repair company FixPod. Alex intended to buy an iPhone 6 Plus, then drop it to see what happened. To say Alex was a bit conflicted about the project is an understatement: he was clearly struggling with the idea of …

1. Kitschcamp

Er... what sapphire screen?

2. John Tserkezis

I've dropped phones to demonstrate how well the polycarbonate and silicon rubber case works, heck, I drop the bloody things by accident often enough...

But a naked phone straight out of the box? Er, no. That's why the toughened glass screen protector and case are already ordered and delived before I get the phone.

But that's just me, I don't have a thousand bucks to test dropped a phone. Even if it did have a sapphire screen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But why should you have to buy extras? A phone is something you use not a of art so should be able to stand up to normal use which I think we all agree is going to involve being dropped.

Do you go and buy big rubber bumpers for your car so that you don't write it off when you clip the gatepost? There is a reasonable expectation that a car is fit for purpose and capable of withstanding normal wear and tear and small accidents. Why do we not expect the same from our phones?

1. P. Lee

>But why should you have to buy extras?

It's about the ecosystem.

Think about all the places you see signs for iphone cases. That's free advertising and mindshare for Apple - "See, iphone is everywhere! Keep it safe - it is precious. " If it didn't need 3rd party protectors, they would miss out on that and have to pay for more advertising themselves.

/cynic

2. Mage Silver badge

Dropping

All my phones from my Analogue Mobile up to my E65 survived multiple dropping. The later ones are too skinny, awkward to hold, too sealed (flying apart reduces risk of breakage).

3. cambsukguy

I do expect that from all my phones. I have maybe 100 drops for the last 10 phones maybe.

None of them have broken the screen glass.

My Lumia 920 especially is amazingly tough, surviving well in the hands of an offspring.

I lost one phone to water when I stupidly thought Gore-Tex pockets in a Gore-Tex coat was sufficient to see me through a trek in a storm. Even though my pack had a proper waterproof phone bag in in it I was too lazy to realise it was there. Even then it kept working until the next day - and only the touch screen failed, the phone itself booted and ran and the display worked - it just couldn't be used!. There was no rice and no silica gel and no heat to save it sadly.

Still, apart from the waterproof Sonys, all the current phones would have failed that one.

I hope Nokia produce a waterproof Lumia, preferably the kind that doesn't need rubber plugs. I would buy a phone with no sockets. I barely ever use my USB and would accept a phone that required disassembly to use it (like recovering after a bricked update or something). It would require a PC app that used wifi to emulate a USB connection for large file transfer (music and Hires photos mainly). I also don't use the headphone socket except very rarely so would be okay to forgo it for a sealed, waterproof unit.

Mind you, I don't know why they can't seal the guts of the phone and just let water in the sockets etc. Philips have shavers you can run under a tap. The motor is sealed and the socket just gets wet. So, if the USB and headphone socket were just allowed to get wet, gold, stainless steel etc., then the rets of the phone could just be a sealed unit within the case.

Or they could make that waterproofing system I have seen (Iridium?) mainstream and viable for a reasonable cost?

4. John Bailey

"But why should you have to buy extras?"

For the same reason I wear shoes, instead of expecting the ground to not have pointy bits. .

I buy stuff. I expect it to last longer then the warranty. A few quid for a cover = money well spent. Because the thing doesn't end up broken.

"A phone is something you use not a of art so should be able to stand up to normal use which I think we all agree is going to involve being dropped."

Should.. debatable..

Does.. no.

But expecting "should" to protect an expensive gadget.. Hell no. If I had something that cost as much as an iDiot phone, it wouldn't leave it's box until had a suitable protective cover for it.

And what exactly do you consider normal use? Dropping sensitive devices is considered a bad idea.

My new multimeter is IP67rated, but I don't kick it round my workshop.

My DSLR could probably take a few falls. But I try to avoid such things. Because if it breaks, I'll need to buy a new one. Looking at a jammed bent zoom lens on a twisted mount, and saying .. "well.. it should have been able to take that".. doesn't make it all better. Still broken.

A neck strap worn at all times while handling the camera = No dropping. No bent lens. No need to replace it..

Should is little comfort if coming down a flight of stairs, your phone goes flying, and lands 10 feet below, on a hard floor.

My PDA was unscathed by the way.

Should is meaningless if it falls out of your pocket in the supermarket and cracks as the corner of the unprotected case impacts with the hard tiled floor. Not a scratch on my e-book reader.

"Should" is why you need to buy new stuff so often, while my stuff lasts as long as I choose to use it..

"Do you go and buy big rubber bumpers for your car so that you don't write it off when you clip the gatepost?"

Do you try to ram gate posts?

"There is a reasonable expectation that a car is fit for purpose and capable of withstanding normal wear and tear and small accidents."

And there is a reasonable expectation that one will take reasonable steps to avoid damage. Paint "should" protect the underlying metal from rust. Cars still rust though. How much use is should, when the chassis splits at 60mph?

"Why do we not expect the same from our phones?"

Because we are not idiots.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Do you go and buy big rubber bumpers for your car so that you don't write it off when you clip the gatepost?"

Maybe he drives a Volvo 740 estate?

6. SpiderPig

Why should I buy extra bits

The phones today are basically crap from a durability standpoint. As siad, you should not have to go and buy extra bits just to protect the phone if you drop it. I have had many phones over the last 25 yerars and only since i got a Samsung GS III and then HTC One XL have I had to pay money to repair screens after they have been dropped.

All my Nokia's could survive the drop test and I even had one (9300 communicator) run over by a car and it survived.

I also have a Jolla, it has been dropped on several occaisions and it is still going without any display damage.

You should be able to drop, sit-on or basically trewat your phone like crap and it should still work.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

In any case, my old Xperia has survived plenty of similar drops

Frankly, I am not impressed. My obsolete (by today's hardware standards) Arc has survived 10s of drops like that including quite a few without a case. Its screen is still intact 3 years after I bought it despite all the drops. Compared to this it will pass for "bombproof".

Otherwise I agree with you, while the phones are advertised as beatiful svelte objects of desire, by the time they are in our pocket they have grown chubby, rounded and look nothing like the ads.

It is the reality - unless you get the JCB phone, you either have to get a case or your new gadget will be broken by the end of the week.

1. Steven Raith

Re: In any case, my old Xperia has survived plenty of similar drops

I find it quite interesting when Apple (and other companies - they really aren't the only one) advertise their OMG SO THIN YOU'LL NOT FEEL IT phones....and also, you'll want this silicon case to stop it from breaking which makes them all fat as fuck.

Me Nexus has survived a few 'oooh fook' drops without a case, thankfully, although it's looking a bit scarred now. Still works fine though, surprisingly!

Steven R

2. Cuddles

Mine hasn't. Ultimately, unless you get a properly designed tough phone, nothing made of glass, plastic, thin metal, and various delicate parts is going to consistently survive being dropped from a metre or two. In particular, comments like this (from the article):

"And dent – or perhaps crack – the reputation of the new iPhones' Gorilla Glass screens"

really betray the lack of understanding most people seem to have on the matter. No, this won't do anything about the reputation of the screens, because it's completely irrelevant. The point of Gorilla glass, sapphire, and similar, is that they are hard - they rank highly on the Moh's scale of hardness. That doesn't mean anything about how easy it is to break them, it's solely about how easy it is to SCRATCH them - a material higher on the list cannot be scratched by one on the lower. Diamond, the hardest material known, can still easily be broken if you hit it with a hammer. Gorilla glass is fairly hard, so it's less likely to get scratched if you put in a pocket with keys or something, but that says nothing about its ability to take an impact. Hard materials can easily be more brittle than softer ones.

1. DropBear
          Boffin

The point of Gorilla glass, sapphire, and similar, is that they are hard...

Here's an idea - how about we give up on hard but brittle glass screens completely, and use some soft-but-unbreakable plastic instead, but one that's self-healing, so scratches never become an issue either?

1. John Bailey

"Here's an idea - how about we give up on hard but brittle glass screens completely, and use some soft-but-unbreakable plastic instead, but one that's self-healing, so scratches never become an issue either?"

Great idea. Let us know when you invent it.

3. Tzael

All about build quality

If extras like screen protectors and rubber cases are essential purchases then how come my Lumia 920 was dropped, run over by a taxi, left out in torrential rain for 20 minutes before I realised it was missing, and still worked perfectly fine when I finally found it again?

I'll admit I've not been so abusive with my Lumia 1020, although in its case I did demonstrate the effectiveness of the Gorilla Glass to a friend by first taking a pair of kitchen scissors to the screen and scratching it repeatedly before handing the scissors and phone over to him and letting him have a good attempt to scratch the screen. We then took it a step further and started hitting the screen with the handle end of the scissors to see if it could take a pounding. No scratches or cracks or any other defects despite our efforts to inflict some damage.

1. EddieD

Re: All about build quality

I'll second that view about lumia phones - my ancient 800 has survived drops, kicks and wipeouts from my bike on offroad courses and even at almost 3 years old still looks like new.

1. Tapeador

My 8-year-old Nokia 61 has been dropped on concrete so many times, that there are more chipped/scratched bits on the metal casing, than smooth bits, and each time it just bounces. A year ago there developed a small scratch on the screen.

It even survived being under several inches of water and the screen visibly filling up before powering itself off... two weeks in the airing cupboard with some silica gel and it's still fine.

2. Hellcat

@Tzael

My wife dropped her 1020 from a trouser pocket onto a carpet tiled concrete floor - screen smashed. Unless that was a poorly fitted screen that was already under some stress, it still shows that even Nokias need to be looked after to a certain degree. My 1020 has collected a few tiny scratches on the glass from what must be occasional meetings with keys or coins in the same pocket. Bit disapointed with the amazing gorilla glass on this occasion.

1. Blitterbug
          Facepalm

Re: ...keys or coins in the same pocket...

I'm sorry - what?? I got DVd into obscurity the last time I asked this on a forum, but I can't resist: Who the feck would treat a quarter to half a grand of cutting edge technology like this? Over ten years ago I looked with horror at a friend's expensive hard-disk iPod that was so battle scarred you could barely read the screen. To him, it was just a 'thing' you carry in your pocket, whereas I tend to class these things in the same category as any other valuables, like, say, similarly priced watches - as 'valuables'!

So yes, I use nice leather cases for my portable audio and mobiles. And they may 'spoil' the uber-thinness. And so fecking what? In five years' time there will not be a blemish on them. OCD? Possibly. Again - so what?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How it lands plays a huge part in what happens. Also, if the screen already has scratches it is far more likely to crack.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

+1 for the durability of the Lumia 920. Mine has been thoroughly abused, dropped on it's corner onto concrete, sent skittering across roads, down steps.

I have seen iPhones and Galaxies dropped onto a corner from less than a foot and the screen always shatters. The Lumia? It's a little battleworn, but the polycarbonate shell absorbs the impact, and instead of the screen. Easily the most durable smartphone I've ever owned.

1. big_D Silver badge

My old Galaxy fell 6' onto a marble floor, it landed face down, but perfectly flat. No damage to the display - although the aerials were disconnected.

My Lumia 1020 has had a couple of smaller drops. There is a slight wrinkle on one corner, but otherwise it has survived very well.

My old iPhone 3GS was also dropped several times, no display damage, although the casing around the headphone broke away and the headphones started cutting out.

4. big_D Silver badge

The other thing is, Apple probably have to do drop tests as part of the QA and certification process, why can't they just publish the videos and then we wouldn't have this stupid waste of resources.

5. Justanotherguy

We smashed it on launch as the first in line in the Glendale Americana Apple. http://youtu.be/H0ork7rSAEQ

3. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

Obviously not holding them correctly.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple & Milk

Apple has had retainers on several forms of Liquid Metal for years now, so can there be any other excuse for Apple besides milking it?

Here's one of the later stories, but they go back several years...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/23/apple_renews_liquidmetal_contract_terminator_rumours/

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Apple & Milk

Liquid metal will not help you as far as the overall design direction is concerned. You can thank sir Johny for that.

Apple has been expanding the screen to the very edge and there is absolutely no space left to crumple or deform if the phone is dropped and hits on-edge. In addition to that, the wonderful metal "ring" around the phone edge as in all iPhones from 4 onwards immediately transfers all the shock from the impact onto the glass. As a result an impact on-edge after falling from 1m onto concrete without a case is nearly guaranteed to shatter the glass. So are most recent phones due to the "fashion" to make them all glass. Compared to that a more "classic" phone which has space for buttons on the bottom and a plastic section on top for the camera, etc is considerably more shock resistant.

Things are only going to get worse from here - judging by the latest patent filings they intend to wrap the screen around the edges. That has "guaranteed fracture" written all over it with or without sapphire.

1. Russell Hancock

The HTC HD2 was amazing at surviving drops - it had a raised metal edge all around to the screen glass generally did not get hit and the metal shell had a removable section on the back (for SIM / SD / Battery changes) and this would ping off taking most of the energy with it... the battery always stayed in place so phone carried on happily... the biggest problem was hunting the removable section as this could fly for miles!

That phone still has no cracks but ALL of my newer phone have broken screens now as they were sealed units and the screen took the energy...

2. cambsukguy

I know someone with a Lumia 925, which has a metal ring design unlike most Lumias.

It has been dropped twice onto hard tile (other drops to softer things like carpet and kitchen floors too).

The result of the second drop was a chip in the corner, which wasn't noticed for a few days because it is so small.

Gorilla glass is hard but it is also tough, that is why it popular. It has a plastic deforming ability whilst being hard as hell.

Obviously, Nokia made a reasonable attempt to buffer the screen, the mounting mechanism is plastic and clips the screen over the edge I assume. Speaking of edge, that Samsung edge looks like it will break even more easily because it has zero protection.

I was very surprised to see the Apple screen smash so easily to be honest, bad luck perhaps. We will see.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Douglas was right

I can't help but think of the digital watch fascination alluded to in HHGTTG.

6. Paddy

iFools

iLemmings and there money are easily parted.

1. Studley

Re: iFools

Where money?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: iFools

Here money!

Here money money money money! Come, jump into my pocket, I'll keep you safe.

7. Bloodbeastterror

Oh come on...

It's an advert for his company. Money well spent. I wouldn't have heard of him otherwise. Unfortunately for him, I wouldn't touch an iDevice with a bargepole, and I live 26 hours away by fast jet.

1. Tony Paulazzo

Re: Oh come on...

It's an advert for his company.

Glad someone mentioned that, and that grand is nothing to how much global advertising that got him. Plus Gorilla Glass is know to have low 'impact survivability' - it's why test's always show pressure being slowly applied rather than a bullet being shot at it.

8. poopypants

Function before form

Plastic cases are better at absorbing impact. I've dropped my plastic phone several times, and it has always survived. Also radio waves from cell towers and WiFi routers seem to propagate better through plastic than they do through metal.

9. Dan 55 Silver badge

Oh for an old-school Nokia

You know, you dropped it on the floor and the floor broke.

1. EddieD

Re: Oh for an old-school Nokia

Aye, the old joke about a guy learning about being dumped by his partner through a text on a 3310, was so distraught he threw it at a wall and it shattered into a thousand pieces.

Phone was fine though.

2. DropBear

...Floor? What floor?!?

3. SteveK

You know, you dropped it on the floor and the floor broke.

My mum did that with a sponge cake once.

Actually true, early '80s, had just bought a new-fangled microwave and followed a recipe in the book it came with to supposedly make a microwaved sponge cake. Result was rather solid and unrisen, we took it outside and dropped it on the concrete patio and it cracked the concrete... (My dad was not amused, the patio had only been done 6 months or so before...)

10. ElReg!comments!Pierre

The downside of using "good" materials

Not taking any side here, but the strong selling point of the iPhone is its luxury feel, coming from the use of materials that feel sturdy. That is exemplified time and time again when fanbois deride the competition: the first argument they use is usually "cheap plastic feel".

Thing is, when you drop a "cheap plastic" shell, its deformation will absorb and spread a lot of the shock and keep the rigid screen relatively protected. The case might also get a dent in the process, but usually not even. The (more rigid) metal back may pop off if present, but pick the thing from the ground, reassemble as needed and you're good to go.

Now when you drop a sturdy-feely rigid case it won't deform (it may dent but that doesn't dissipate nearly as much energy). So the shock is transmitted in full to the gorilla glass, which is many things but not flexible. >SCHATTARZZZ<

1. cambsukguy

Re: The downside of using "good" materials

But Samsung S3 screens seem to break so easily too, at least judging from the people I know with a broken one and the ones I see in the wild, there are a lot of them overall so the actual breakage may be normal.

1. Steven Raith

Re: The downside of using "good" materials

Ah, luxury finishes. Like the BMW Frozen Paint finish, which is a sort of matt finish you may have seen on new 3/4 series.

It's not a matte wrap, it's an actual finishing process on the paint. However, this means that should any damage come to the paint, it is quite explicitly not user repairable; you can't machine polish a scratch out - or even hand polish it out. It has to be taken to a BMW paint specialist, and normally it requires a whole panel match 'n' spray. Machine polishing it will ruin it, end of.

Expect to pick up scrathed E9x 3-series cheap with that paint on it in about five years time when people realise that it's £500 to remove a parking/supermarket trolley ding. This will be valuable when the 335i and other high value models start to trough in value in about six years time, mark my words - scratched ones will be £1000 cheaper than clean ones.

(none of this is hyperbole, by the way - the Drive channels sub-channel, Drive Clean, about detailing and whatnot, covered this in some detail - you cannot DIY the paint finish, period)

Luxury isn't always practical or useful.

Steven R

11. Mage Silver badge

Sapphire

Sapphire is more scratch resistant but cracks more easily. Hence suitable for watch faces / screens. Unsuitable for out to edge phones.

12. Truth4u

hehehe

guy who dropped it by accident was obviously nervous, he was shaking like a crack addict. Funny how worked up people can get about this stuff.

13. Hilibnist

Transparent aluminum (sic)

That is all.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
      Coat

Re: Transparent aluminum (sic)

How about transparent aluminum oxide? Call it saphire if you want. Bit expensive for a whale tank though.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bent aluminium ?

I think the problem here is also that the chap aluminium used bends too easily, assuming it is the same weak grade as the other iPhones.

A dent in the aluminium transfers though to the glass causing it to shatter.

Contrast that to polycarbonate that flexes and absorbs impact.

15. Downside
    WTF?

Your gravity may vary

..but the gravity round me seems to be more benevolent to my iPhone. Sure, it's lept like a salmon from my grasp/coat/trousers onto hard wooden floor/concrete/tarmac and has loads of dings in in'ts "cheap grade aluminium" housing but the glass front and back is completely unmarked.

Everywhere I go I see people with crazy-paved screens on their phones, what on earth do you lot do to them?

16. Hero Protagonist

Glad it was an OFFICIAL video

Otherwise I would think it was just some random twat trying to draw attention.

17. wowfood
    Happy

I sense a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of fanbois suddenly cried out in pain.

18. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

What a fecking twat!

Resources we use and abuse on this planet are not infinite this twat needs to realise that. No wonder there's so many divs around who upgrade at release time and have very little care for what happens every time they dump their last toy in an "electronic gadget bin". Do they think little pink pixies recycle old gadgets?! They get shipped off to some Asian backwater where some poor sods strip out the precious metals and components, usually by hand, breathing in toxic fumes and risking their lives for a few quid a day. Sorry but a gadget should be used right up until you can no longer sensibly justify it's use or it's broken beyond repair by sheer use, not busted in public 5 secs after buying it because some utter twat wants to score YouTube hits. And no, It's not about the money, simply saying "His money, his choice." doesn't come into it, he's obviously no respect for the resources it cost to make it and ship it just so he could be a arse in public.

1. gotes

Re: What a fecking twat!

I'm guessing, given what his company does, that he'll fix it himself (or get one of his employees to do it) rather than throwing it away. If anything, he's promoting not discarding broken tech.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with not having a case provided

is that the world slowly fills up with cheap, shitty phone cases.

If I was paying that kinda money for a phone, I'd want an Ottercase included or some such.

It's just ridiculous.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. recycling

I have a fair pile of "dead" phones here, every now and then a screen gets taken out for some project here or a vibrate motor there (bristlebots!!!) or simply sold on Greedbay as "Box of screens :-)"

Still trying to find one with a serial port though, got an Imate JasJar though with a b0rked input socket but it still somewhat works with an externally charged battery.

Seems such a shame to discard all those neat SMD bits, sometimes when you need say an 0603 blue LED or 4K7 resistor in a hurry its cheaper to break out the heat gun and tweezers than wait a week for the appropriate part.

21. Duffaboy

He will now have to book an appointment online with apple to fix it.

I kid you not, if you want apple to fix your fanboi merchandise you can't just walk into the store you have to book an online appointment which then enables you to go into your nearest apple store to be patronised at the Genius bar.

You can't make it up.

1. O RLY

Re: He will now have to book an appointment online with apple to fix it.

Unlikely, since his company's raison d'être is fixing iPhones

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only a decade or so ago...

Whether intentional or not, most 2G phones were made of 2 or 3 bits of clip-together, creaky plastic, which frequently fell apart when dropped - and cushioned the blow. It was quite common to see people scrambling to collect the bits of their Nokia after a 4' drop. But it wasn't *that* common to see broken phones - there was often a nice air gap between the LCD and the cheap plastic, replaceable front. Not like our expensive glass fronts laminated to the LCDs now.

1. PJI

Re: Only a decade or so ago...

yes, I had Nokias like that. Great, simple 'phones. The bits seemed to stay together ever less well over time. But the most annoying thing was that dust and fluff soon got behind the screen and could not be removed.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Odd

Not sure that this is a typical drop: the advertiser lifts the device to top of head level, depending upon his height (seems not to be a dwarf or midget), this could be nor far short of two metres. He holds it glass face down and drops it. It does not fall absolutely flat of course. I wonder how many devices with glass faces would withstand this. At least it still worked.

The more usual case seems to be flying out of a pocket, bag or hand while the carrier is moving, usually at a trot or faster. I have dropped 4s in such circumstances - not marks, luckily. I have seen another go flying when the owner was moving fast. It showed a tiny chip in the glass by the corner on which it landed on the garage concrete floor. It took some staring to see it.

Of course one sees plenty of damaged screens. One sees them because the users seem to be unable to travel, walk or have their eyes open without the wretched thing in their hands. I can not say I have seen more iPhones than other makes with such damage. Odd. It seems to bother the user not one jot.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. bad screens

There is a small chance due to changes in the ionic glass that cracking which occurs can be repaired by using an air plasma discharge similar to a OAUGDP in an argon or helium enriched atmosphere.

Apparently even balloon grade He works, the trick is not to nuke the touchscreen underneath which is IGZO vacuum deposited on the front of the actual LCD under the polarizer on the 5/5S/6.

I tried this once on a dead panel and had some success but it had other damage so not sure if it would work and even if it did the glass panel would likely crack again due to thermal stress unless annealed afterwards.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like