back to article How's this for a biz expense? SAP pops $8.3 BEELLION on company card for Concur

SAP has announced it has agreed to acquire enterprise travel and business expense management software purveyor Concur Technologies in an $8.3bn takeover deal. The Germany-based giant will shell out $129 per Concur share – a 20 per cent premium – in a deal it expects to close by the end of the year or early 2015. SAP plans to …

1. alwarming
    Paris Hilton

Is this SAP's autonomy ?

Because to me this makes no sense at all! Neither the valuation nor the strategy.

Atleast minecraft had a 20 p/e with growth prospects and some strategic alignment with xbox +winpho + catch'em young long term strategy. Concur is essentially a thin layer of middle-man and little else. While it has a strong client base and a neat-ish UI, it has no real IP. And usually concur is purchased by the finance dept, not CIO, so its not opening any datacenter doors for SAP either.

1. Buzzword

Re: Is this SAP's autonomy ?

It looks like SAP want Concur's clients. Get them hooked on basic expense software, then up-sell the rest of the suite. That's the only way this deal makes sense.

2. Mark 85

Does it have to make sense?

Lately there's a big dollar/Euro buying spree going on with big dollars for the flimsiest excuses. I think there's a bubble building and when it bursts the damage will be beyond the earlier dotcom bubble burst.

1. alwarming
      Trollface

Re: Does it have to make sense?

Maybe so... though I don't see this as dot com bubble.. which seemed more akin to the alaska gold rush. Something new, something big was coming, everyone knew that.. but didn't exactly know how to dig. We have some companies still around from that era, who were lucky/smart enough to know how to dig.

This sounds more like housing bubble to me... Instead of people, its the companies which are picking up cheap loans to buy over-valued assets. But wait... corporations are people too, so perhaps this is exactly like the housing bubble. ;-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like