back to article Scotland wins WORLD RECORD as voters head to referendum polls

The LINPACK portion of the ISC’14 Student Cluster Competition (LINK) was supposed to be routine, according to the cluster competition wise guys. Sure, some student team might set a new record, but no one was expecting the new mark to break through the 10 TFLOP/s barrier. Almost everyone expected the LINPACK crown to go to one …

1. John Robson Silver badge

Really?

"I was a bit surprised by this. I figured that the liquid cooling would yield a better flop/watt ratio vs. the air cooled systems.

However, my analysis could be flawed. I don't have figures for exactly how much power each team was using for the LINPACK run they submitted. All I know is that they were using an amount that was less than the 3,000 watt power cap."

So you assumed 3kW for all of them and are surprised that the GFlops delta is mirrored in the GFlops/3kW delta?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

"Scotland wins WORLD RECORD"

As least they are finally good at something other than claiming benefits and using the NHS...

1. NinjaArchitect

We also have also built you some nice bridges to live under

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And you missed a perfect opportunity to suggest a vegetable oil cooled cluster could be used to deep fry Mars bars

2. Colin Ritchie
    Windows

Computer Engineers.

Designing a system's performance within the power limits, how revolutionary. ;)

Grats to the Burgh, well played indeed.

3. Vulch
    Pint

Shirley a double brace is a mere four rather than eight?

From http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/brace

brace noun (PAIR)

› [C] (plural brace) two things of the same type, especially two wild birds that have been killed for sport or food: a brace of pheasants

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I could be wrong, but it could mean a double brace of cards, each of which would contain two GPUs, so four cards = eight GPUs.

2. danolds

Hmm....good point, but

My thinking was that a brace of accelerators would be the typical maximum that you'd ever see on a typical system - ie four. Thus a double brace would be eight. But your research has opened my eyes and I'll bow to that definition in future articles.

And stop calling me Shirley

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Plucky"?

Nice story, but you could have avoided the sports reporter cliche.

1. danolds

Re: "Plucky"?

Hey, I live to use those cliches...in fact, I'm looking for more of them in order to keep from using the same cliches over and over.

As you can tell, I really like these competitions. I'd like folks in technology to see these events much like the general public does college football, basketball, soccer, or whatever.

My strategy for accomplishing this overly ambitious goal is to treat these competitions as much like a major collegiate sport as I can. I want to cover the technical details (which are the "x's and o's" in other sports), and also generate some excitement and add some humor along the way.

If anyone has any good cliches for me to add into my mix, let me know by hitting my name and sending me an email. If they're good, I'll use 'em and even credit you for the contribution.

5. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Big decision in Scotland tonight...

The Royal and Ancient Golf Club will announce whether it has decided to admit ladies.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Big decision in Scotland tonight...

Such a momentous decision without a referendum ?

6. PleebSmash
    Thumb Up

the glory

"competition glory for Edinburgh, Scotland, and the UK as a whole."

"for Edinburgh, Scotland, and the UK as a whole."

"and the UK as a whole."

TIME WILL TELL

7. Red Bren

"carrot cake is not a real dessert"

For this assertion alone, I will now be treating everything written by this author as undeniable FACT!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "carrot cake is not a real dessert"

carrot cake is not even a real cake, pan scourer perhaps...

1. Anomalous Cowturd
        Joke

But it does count as one of your 5-a-day.

Two if it has an icing carrot on top.

Yummy.

2. danolds

You are obviously very wise, and not just in the pastry and dessert arena.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" In the process, they soundly topped the other competitors and secured a big slice of cluster competition glory for Edinburgh, Scotland, and the UK as a whole."

Not to mention Greece Cyprus and China https://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/sites/default/files/IMAGE/Team_EPCC_ISC14_winner.jpeg

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, fewer cheaper chips pushed to its limits and liquid cooling...

...this is what every overclocker enthusiast from here to Tom's Hardware knew all along.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ok guys..a hint...

...take it to the next level and give it a bath.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2012/09/04/intel-explores-mineral-oil-cooling/

11. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

In the Scottish Referendum, it'll take a long time to count the votes...

"ThRRRRRRRRRee million, ThRRRRRRRRRee hundRRRRRRRRRed and ThiRRRRRRRRRty-ThRRRRRRRRRee thousand, ThRRRRRRRRRee hundRRRRRRRRRed and ThiRRRRRRRRRty-ThRRRRRRRRRee."

"ThRRRRRRRRRee million, ThRRRRRRRRRee hundRRRRRRRRRed and ThiRRRRRRRRRty-ThRRRRRRRRRee thousand, ThRRRRRRRRRee hundRRRRRRRRRed and ThiRRRRRRRRRty-FouRRRRRRRRR."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like