back to article Synology bakes word processor, groupware, into its NAS OS

Synology is about to release version 5.1 of its Disk Station Manager (DSM) NAS operating system, and has baked a word processor and groupware inside. Synology's already gone a long way down the road of building share 'n' sync into its small business NAS. Adding Note Station, as the word processor is known, looks a logical …

1. razorfishsl

They should sort out the security issues and file system trashing on ISCSI under OSX before dressing up a NAS as a wordprocessor

2. petur
    Meh

Sponsored?

I know that for example QNAP is doing the exact same things (in fact, I have their Notes app already installed and running for a while), yet the only NAS vendor we get to read about here is Synology.

And these days, quite often Synology is trailing the rest. Should QNAP also contact the author for sponsoring?

1. Buzzword

Re: Sponsored?

Thecus and Asustor also make popular NAS devices; the latter has only been around for three years yet already has a very impressive suite of products.

1. K
        Thumb Up

Given the name I assumed Asustor was an ASUS product.. but turns out that is not the case.

1. Buzzword

Your assumption was mostly correct. ASUSTOR is a subsidiary of ASUS, i.e. a separate company, not just a product line under ASUS. Whether that actually makes a difference on the ground is hard to know.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I would guess they need to contact the advertising department rather than the author otherwise get some devices in the hands of Trevor as he will usually write a few articles about companies that provide him with goods and access to their team.

3. okcomputer44

Shall I say quietly that Synology is not bad?

We got the DS1813+ 2 of them for HA cluster and it behaves very well.

We had a look around on the market which NAS could do HA with iSCSI and has good feedback also and relatively low price range. So we ended up with Synology and must say it's really good.

All other cost more than 1k/node and Syno was less than £800/node, which is quiet cheap.

Anyhow I'm sure QNAP as good as Syno, but the price range is much higher.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still no deduplication with DSM 5.1???

When will we finally get deduplication with Synology? Does anyone know more?

5. AlexS

Nor is there a proxy server

You can hack in a proxy server but they don't supply one. Probably one of the most useful features they ignore.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon