back to article Huawei: Our sales in Europe and US are TINY, admits red-faced exec

Huawei’s enterprise biz outside of China is crawling along, hampered in Europe by a slower-than-forecast recruitment of channel partners and in the US by government paranoia concerns over espionage. The networking, server and storage kit division accounts for nine per cent of Huawei’s overall revenues of £23bn in 2013, and …

1. EddieD

Change the name...

Being called "who are we?" won't sell...

Baimei?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Change the name...

Agreed, if they want to succeed then the first step should be changing their name. It's just one of those words that just doesn't cut the mustard.

There is no appeal, sexyness or serious-sounding-ness behind that name.

Does anyone know what Huawei means, can someone translate it or is it just a name.

1. Philippe

Huawei means "splendid achievement for China", or "action for China" according to Wikipedia

2. Jim 48

I always thought it was "highway", but am probably wrong

2. Efros

Their lower end phones are bloody awful, particularly the Ascend ones.

1. Chika
      Coat

Who are we arse end...

Their lower end phones are bloody awful, particularly the Ascend ones.

I would tend to disagree with this to an extent in that my Ascend G330 is well into its second year of use and is still doing pretty well for itself.

Mind you, that tendency is tempered by the fact that I feel that some of the phones that are being brought up as replacements are actually inferior to it, hence the reason why I haven't changed it yet. Things like "we make it thinner but you can't remove the battery" put me off, for example.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is an article about enterprise kit, not phones. Their networking kit is bloody good.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

CISCO's home voip phones are also shit - doesn't mean you shouldn't buy their enterprise grade switches

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"CISCO's home voip phones are also shit - doesn't mean you shouldn't buy their enterprise grade switches"

No, I think "priced in $virgins" and "pre-pwned by the NSA" are good enough reasons not to buy Cisco.

3. MyffyW Silver badge

Snooping FUD aside I wouldn't rule Huawei out, they're making solid progress on enterprise networking kit, and have some mighty resources behind them.

Agree the name is just plain odd. Had me stumped initially, but then I hail from a country where "w" is a vowel.

4. CheesyTheClown

No hardware, no docs

If they want the U.S. or Europe, they need to write documentation, books and training material in English. They need to make some desktop switches with enterprise features and get then out there. Give a few away even.

If I want a Huewei, I'll buy an HP.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: No hardware, no docs

Got to agree. Huawei just doesn't have enough technical marketing or product management occurring. They also have zero community management and near-zero engagement with bloggers, media and other thought leaders.

They need both to have good documentation and marketing in English and a seed program that gets units into the hands of well known reviewers so that those people can start putting the gear to the test and saying "yeah, this is good enough for tier 1".

They'll get there, eventually.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like