back to article UK.gov lobs another fistful of change at SME infosec nightmares

Business secretary Vince Cable has announced a £4m fund to help small businesses fight cyber crime. This has not gone down well with the infosec world. Security experts have said a bigger slice of the UK's £860m cyber security budget ought to be allocated to tackling security problems at the SME level to have any realistic …

1. IT Hack

Politicians and Technology - water & oil

When are these politicians going to learn that they are not experts, that sound bites tend to come back and take a chunk out of their arses, that they cause more problems than creating solutions that actually work, that frankly they should know by now to stay away from anything resembling a keyboard and most certainly to learn that "social media" is not a one way tool and indeed trolling is no worse than heckling these arseholes on the hustings.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Politicians and Technology - water & oil

The German way seems to be that every cabinet minister has a degree in whatever his or her position entails. I'm not sure how exactly that happens but on the face of it it seems to be a good idea, unless there are political schools which churn out hundreds of prospective trade ministers or are they just worthless honorary degrees.

1. Infosec Guy

National School of Government

We actually did at one point have a very high quality establishment called the National School of Government that ran a multitude of course for everyone from ministers to junior civil servants on how to be better at their jobs. Alas, along came the recession and it was closed down and a not insignificant contract given to Capita called Civil Service Learning...lots of online clickthroughs...

2. Vic

Re: Politicians and Technology - water & oil

When are these politicians going to learn that they are not experts

They'll learn no such thing. They'll just tell the media that they knew it all along, South Today will make a big fuss about how hard $pol is working for all of us :-(

Vic.

2. Warm Braw

It never usually goes to the SMEs...

I had a long stint as an SME. My experience is that when government offers money to "help" SMEs, there's normally a large "usual suspect" contractor who receives most of the benefit (either as the intermediary through which the funds are allocated or as the service provider with whom the SME is more or less obliged to spend the money).

So, it has to be welcomed as significant progress that this particular Westminster stunt has so little money allocated to it and is being channeled as it is.

Not that it will achieve anything, other than a press release and a photo of Vince shaking hands with someone, but at least it will be a value-for-money press release by historical standards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It never usually goes to the SMEs...

...but at least it will be a value-for-money press release by historical standards.

Quite. I did a photo call a few years ago where some local funding body was bunging £5000 at a tech skills training centre for school leavers. Normally this would have entailed a modest quantity of samosas or sandwiches "to encourage attendance" from a local cafe, paid for, naturally from the aforementioned grant. But in this case a junior minister (William Hague if I recall) was gracing the occasion, so they threw the kitchen sink at it and got the catering from a flash new local deli, who turned up with a vanload of fine food, including a couple of sides exotic looking salmon. All to feed 100 attendees max, mostly public sector employees, local politicians and a few press which included me. I was told later the bill was £2000, and those clearing up carted home enough for a few rather plump meals each. Irony was, the trainees funding ended up 60 percent of the original grant, but only two carefully selected examples were invited to mix with the 'dignitaries' and get a crack at the food.

I used to do a few of those a week, most paid from the public purse, but this was the only one I found out the costs, although a fair few were equally extravagant. Draw your own conclusions about value for money.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It never usually goes to the SMEs...

Probably wouldn't achieve much even if spent wisely. 4.9 million SMEs. 82p each.

3. Harry Kiri
    Flame

Yeah, this is like the DSTL cyber research money for SMEs.We need SMEs involvement. Right until the point we need to give them cash.

Then we'd prefer to give it to the primes.

4. Peter2 Silver badge

It would be considerably more useful to spend 4 million on hiring a couple of hundred IT Professionals who hate script kiddies (it shouldn't take much, i'd do the job for nothing...) and then train them in the basics required to put criminal cases together and swear them in as special police officers so they can do production orders to get info (IP Addresses etc) from ISP's legally.

Once you've done that, get them tracking down script kiddies who do unlawful stuff, but are easily tracked from firewall logs etc. Getting their computers seized as evidence for a few months and then hauled up in court for breaking the law would discourage at least some of the prats, which might then reduce the number of people who think it's funny to try and DOS firms for the lulz etc.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Low Ball

It would be considerably more useful to spend 4 million on hiring a couple of hundred IT Professionals who hate script kiddies (it shouldn't take much, i'd do the job for nothing...)

Perhaps, but 20K each probably won't get you much motivation, especially once you get away from basic IT work. You get what you pay for.

1. IT Hack

Re: Low Ball

You'd get a fair amount with my utter contempt and ever burning hatred...

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: "Getting their computers seized as evidence"

How would you get that done with skiddies in other countries, pray tell ?

Not to rain on your parade, I would dearly like to see such an initiative, but the fact remains that it is currently impossible to legally attain a miscreant if he is not operating in your own country - and that is not typically the case since it would appear that about 75% of such activity is managed either from the US or from China (I'm sure you can throw Russia in the pot too).

So you'll be doing all that hard detective work and, nine times out of ten, you'll hit the brick wall of "oh, he's operating from outside the country, well that's it then, next case...".

It's quite discouraging, really.

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Re: "Getting their computers seized as evidence"

> "So you'll be doing all that hard detective work and, nine times out of ten, you'll hit the brick wall of "oh, he's operating from outside the country, well that's it then, next case..."."

Hand the completed case file over to the local police in that country and let them take it to court. Make an agreement that you'll do the same for any they catch in our country.

Who gives a **** who gets the credit for the prosecution!

5. batfastad

US-UK cyber innovation summit

"US-UK cyber innovation summit"

It's not called "The 5 Eyes" by any chance is it?

I also note that it's US-UK and not UK-US. Yet another ever so special mono-directional special relationship?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Erm

Sounds good. But they'll need to stump up a bit more to persuade people to work for the baddies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like