back to article POW! Digia straps Qt into ejector seat, gleefully pulls handle

From Trolltech to Nokia and Nokia to Digia, the application framework Qt has had a challenging corporate life even though it retained fans among developers. Now, the language's next phase of life has begun in earnest, spun out of Digia into a separate subsidiary tasked with bringing the commercial and open source Qts back into …

1. thechanklybore

Programming Language?

It's a toolkit & GUI API for C++ and other languages, not a language itself.

1. DrXym

Re: Programming Language?

QT is bundled QML / Qt Quick so it does have a scripting language that you could write a substantial part of your UI in.

2. LaeMing

Qt a 'Programming Language'?

What is it with TheRegister this week? Are all the IT-journos off sick from hurried-curry and temps filling in?

See also http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/2300421

3. James 51

What, no reference to Jolla and Blackberry?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bring back Rate This Article

Or, q+d bodge, use this as a proxy. Upvotes = like, or...

5. ganymede io device

A set-to box.

Is that what happens when the family fights over who holds the remote control of the set-top box?

6. Mage Silver badge

QT Framework

It's a nice alternative to Java GUI classes/libraries to have a cross platform framework, but can be faster due to underlying C++ and other languages. You can in theory do a lot of GUI without using the real programming languages. But I doubt you'd do a real application in QT without the underlying design in C++ or something. It's a wonderful way to do the GUI part of any application.

It was a pity that Nokia didn't adopt it earlier to produce a new GUI for Symbian instead of S60 GUI, they should have just outsourced that to Trolltech instead of buying the company. By 2002 Nokia could no longer manage software.

1. cmannett85

Re: QT Framework

"But I doubt you'd do a real application in QT without the underlying design in C++ or something"

Err... What? Qt is C++. I think you're referring to QML which is designed as a GUI-specific DSL based on JS - it is not designed to replace backend functionality (unless it is very simple).

2. phil dude
      Thumb Up

But it did make it onto the N900 and N9.

I have only built a few Qt applications. This is because I am using KDE and it is also built on Qt.

The really neat about Qt (and GTK apparently) is that the Gui can be exported to HTML5, making it far easier to produce a desktop and browser version.

Something about that flexibility makes sense.

P.

1. James 51

Ah, the n900. Probably the best thing Nokia ever made (though the 1020 would come a close second).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like