back to article Asus to release desktop Eee PC as Ebox

Asus will finally launch the desktop version of its elfin Eee PC early next month. Once dubbed the E-DT, the unit is set to retail as the Ebox, we understand. The rather Wii-style Eee will incorporate a 2GB of memory and a 160GB hard drive, we hear, but for now Asus is keeping the full spec to itself. Asus Ebox Asus' Ebox: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven
    Thumb Up

Thumbs Up.

Looks great, I very much expect this will help Linux into the mainstream. I'm actually a Windows man, but I've always been a fan of the Linux open source ideals and would love to see the Eee desktop do well.

2. bluesxman
    Thumb Up

hoping for good portage...

... cause then I've finally found my living room PC. As long as the price is right...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Ebox... I have heard that name before...

Looks interesting, but aren't Asus going to hit problems with the name Ebox, in a similar way to the Mighty Mouse TM debate? Ebox was used by Evesham Technology/Geemore/Time/Tiny/(Whoever owns that company now) a few years ago... not sure their current trading position but they seem to have one advertised on their website...

4. Jamie
    Linux

Thumbs down

Another EEE pc article and again there are no pictures of it out being used and abused by some lovely.

5. Rob Sked
    Happy

Wii . . .

I thought it was a Wii at first glance.

Mind you, they'd site nicely side by side with a decent plasma screen.

6. Ralph B
    Paris Hilton

Eee PC Girl?

We need the blond on the desktop now.

7. paul

hdmi

would be a welcome bonus. Price tag of $200 would be great.

8. It'sa Mea... Mario
    Heart

Wii approve!

Nice.

9. MikeC
    Paris Hilton

Somethings wrong...

I can't quite put my finger on it but there's something thats not quite right with the pictures of these desktop Eees. Something about the pictures of the laptops that made them look much more eye catching than the desktop variety.

Paris, because there's something about her that's missing too!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Hold On

Where's the Wine angle?

11. Andrew Ducker

Cheap

If they can keep it cheap (and let's face it, it's an Eee without a display, it bleeding well should be cheap) then I'll certainly be buying one. If it has HDMI then I'll be a very happy boy (as it'll be going under the TV).

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Dr. Mouse

Cool!

If it is launched at that price point (£100-£150 in real money ;) ) I have found my MythTV frontend box.

14. Neil Hoskins

Anybody know if...

...MediaTomb or other uPNP media server works under their flavour of Xandros?

15. Kyle

Nice idea, but not quite unique...

As the happy owner of a EEE 701, I like the idea of an equivalent approach to desktop computing, but it looks like the Linutop crowd got there first (I'd never heard of them, but a mate working for Blackwater in Ireland says they've started rolling them out in at least one office...)

http://www.linutop.com/linutop2/index.en.html

16. Giles Jones Gold badge

Perfect timing

I'm after a living room PC and considered getting the eeepc 900, but I would like better storage capacity. This looks like it will tuck under the coffee table nicely.

17. Simon Greenwood

Linutop == Koolu

The Linutop machine is the same as the Koolu thin client/small form PC, and made by the same company who make the OpenMoko phone. Nice little machine, not quite powerful enough for a media server, but can be had for a bit over £100.

18. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Linux

Hold On -- Where's the Wine angle?

...At www.winehq.org surely.

19. Kevin Reader
    Coat

Watch out for the UK version....

Which will probably have a much smaller hard drive and a 4 inch long mains lead, if the e900 is anything to go by.

I suspect that early adopters would like the 'Reg' to find out the final (real) UK spec for them.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Windows

As long as they don't install %*(&%^%@$ Windows XP Home on it and charge us for it.

21. Francois

Africa

So these Eee-pc things are sort of a solution in environments where money is scarce and pc's are needed. I do IT at a rich-ass private school in South Africa, one that invests significantly in it's IT. We are constantly looking for new solutions for desktop computing at the school. We got 2 Eee-pc 4g's last Friday to see if it could help us with our constant lack of computers which occurs due to old computers eventually getting to the point where they should be pushing up the daisie-chains(hehe). They work great, but we do need to have some hard drive space for profiles to be stored locally, so 4gb is just too little, and it will be ages till we see the better eee's in our country.

We are getting 30 thin clients this week, which will be used in labs and for troubled users who can't seem to keep their pc working for longer than 2 days. But I really think these boxes would work better for us. 160gb is more than our newest HP compaq desktops have,and they are top of the line. For a school these could be a cheaper solution, and maybe with smaller hard drives, as we don't need that much storage. Anything that will make the cost lower, as long as the hard drives are 40gb or more, 80 would be ideal. This way more schools in poor countries might be able to afford computers, since even our client, as rich as they are, expensive is not an option.

As for the 160gb box, i do agree, perfect for the tv room:)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Linutop

What's the deal with Linutop - inc. VAT the latest version is £260? And for that you get 512Mb RAM and 1Gb of storage. You can get a Viglen MPC-L for much less, and for a bit more you can pick up a Mac Mini with 1Gb of RAM and DVI.

23. storng.bare.durid
    Paris Hilton

Most importantly...

Is there going to be an Ebox babe?

24. Andraž Levstik

@Neil Hoskins

It's called ushare... look it up... there's also djmount that is the client side of things ;)

25. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Money

Fools - if its $200-300 - then its going to be £500 once grabber gordon has been involved and it moves to rip of Britain

Paris - cos at least she knows when she is been shafted.

26. Nat Pryce
    Unhappy

Would make a lovely media center PC, except...

No built-in DVD drive :-(

That's something that's not too ugly to put beside the TV but what would be the point (besides MAME)?

27. Paul Moran
    Coat

eee meets Wii

Does that mean it should be called the Weee?

28. John Sullivan

BadVista.org

Probably only a masochist would use Vista anyway :). Such a nice little powerful box, it'd be a shame to install software that restricts what it can do.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like