back to article Incredible folding laptop untucked on eBay

Laptops are designed to be portable, so a 19.5in machine is really defeating the object. Unless, that is you buy one that folds up. Now, thanks to one eBayer, you can. Folding_laptop_01 Hinges allow the laptop to fold and for its screen(s) to be rotated An intrepid eBay seller has posted a Xentex-brand prototype laptop …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy
    Thumb Up

A Xentex Flip-pad Voyager

originally priced at around $5000!!!

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/first-look/14/xentex-flip-pad-voyager

hmmm.. wonder if he'll ship to the uk??

2. TeeCee Gold badge
    Paris Hilton

Holy antiques Batman!

"....doesn’t have an internal CD-Rom drive..."

It does appear to have a floppy drive though. Is it coal-fired as well?

Paris because of the obvious "stoking the hole" connection.

3. Ben

Folding Laptop ?

Yeah , i've worked on a few laptops that have resisted my attempts to

introduce this feature , i'll just have to invest more money in the appropriate service technology , my current axe just aint sharp enough.

I hear that Rock tried to do this but they made an error and went "supersize" and the whole friggin company folded instead , shame , their

hardware was well above average , this baby may well attract the kind

of person who thinks stuff like the Oric Atmos was/is .....BRILLIANT!.....

..............NURSE!

4. Joe K
    Dead Vulture

Amazing

A $5000 "very powerful" (according to that review) machine, is worth only a fraction of its cost a mere 5 years later.

And it couldn't run Vista.

Makes you think about if it'd be worth spending 2 grand on that gaming laptop in todays Reg hardware reviews.

2 grand today, obsolete doorstop in a few years.

God i hate computers.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of....

the first mobile phone I bought back in 1984 for £1000 (yes £1000 sterling), another antique.

6. J-Wick
    Stop

Re: Amazing...

Yeah, the big plus of PCs (and, if you think about it the reason that MS Dos/Windows was as much an incredible achievement as it is now a pain in the arse), is the ability to mix & match hardware. With a desktop, you can slowly upgrade, piece by piece, giving you great value for money on your original purchase.

I've tried to do the same with my Inspiron 8100, but have hit the wall (and would have hit it a lot sooner if they hadn't put a I394 port in it - it has USB 1.0 FFS!). Why buy a high end laptop for gaming - in two years it won't be top of the line any more, and it'll be hard to upgrade.

Plus those coffee-house chicks are going to be more impressed with the Mac user & his copy of Ulysses than your mad WoW skillz, anyway...

7. Graham Lockley

@J-Wick

'Plus those coffee-house chicks are going to be more impressed with the Mac user & his copy of Ulysses'

Most Mac owners I know think Ulysses is an Italian car ;)

Your point is valid though, the PC Im typing this on was originally bought back back in 1980 (still got the receipt from Escom) and has suffered continual periodic upgrading ever since ! The fact that the only original part is the floppy (I dont use it but last time I checked it worked) is irrelevant, at no point have I ever bought a new PC !

8. JC
    Gates Horns

Drats, I used to do this

... with paper, I should've patented the idea vaguely enough I could sue anyone who ever folds anything!

Billg, because it's all about the piles and piles of money for something that has no added value.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ZAP

But the Oric Atmos is brilliant! It's an Oric-1 with a proper keyboard and you can type "ZAP" and it goes zap. Show me where Vista does that.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Windows 3.1 Ready

I can't wait to get my hands on it.....

Mine's the one with 36 stiffies packed with MS Office 4.0 in the pocket.

11. steogede
    Coat

Folding Laptop

Tell, does anyone here own a laptop which doesn't fold? The nearest thing I have is an old Amstrad NC100.

Mine's the one that folds.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like