back to article Freenode IRC users told to change passwords after securo-breach

A security breach at popular, free and open source software-focused IRC network Freenode means users need to change their passwords. Freenode's IRC server was compromised and passwords were likely sniffed by unidentified hackers, prompting a warning to users that they should reset their passwords as a precaution. The security …

1. Joe Drunk
    Windows

IRC Still around?

I though only malware writers used it as command & control centers for their crap.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: IRC Still around?

It's the tool of choice for quick answers to lots of software questions. #python #postgresql

2. WraithCadmus
    Joke

Great

Now I need to change my password to 'hunter3'.

1. VinceH
      Joke

Re: Great

No - play cunning, and instead of increasing it by one, go for a half, and make it hunter2.5 - that'll fool 'em.

3. garden-snail
    Meh

Sniffing

Sounds like a server was compromised in a way that allowed the attack to sniff NickServ passwords while in transit. Are we to assume that the database itself was not compromised?

I only ask since - like everyone else - I haven't logged in to an IRC server in about 10 years.

1. Joe Drunk

Re: Sniffing

It's been about a decade for me too. 80K users? more like 2K actual humans and the rest bots.

1. Oninoshiko

Re: Sniffing

"nickserve traffic" is the same as all the other traffic. You really shouldn't depend on it being encrypted.

freenode has a higher user/bot ratio then most IRC servers because of the target audience.

4. batfastad

IRC

If you don't use IRC then you or your employer is using the wrong software. Or you're just a lowly 3rd line M$ peon, lol smily face

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like