back to article Bloat-free, unlocked Moto X to be dubbed 'Pure Edition', says report

Motorola has reportedly named its yet to be released bloat-free, unlocked Moto X the "Pure Edition". According to the Verge, the handset maker is planning to ship the unbranded version of its Moto X model later this month. Some readers might struggle with the concept of "pure", though, given that the device runs on Android. …

1. twilkins
    FAIL

"Some readers might struggle with the concept of "pure", though, given that the device runs on Android."

Eh? Is that supposed to be funny? Clever?

Bad news - it's neither!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Yeah, I don't get that either?

Team Register - Bonmots by Committee

1. Kay Burley ate my hamster

From the opinions, Team Register = Andrew Orlowski. Android and BBC hater.

1. Richard 81

Don't forget the Met Office. He hates them too.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. h3

Does it mean pure as in software like a Nexus ? (But a decent Motorola Baseband and associated call quality).

My main problem with Android is Google Play Services and its ability to take a device that was perfect and totally screw it up. (Like a machine that had XP when it first came out and worked flawlessly until Microsoft started screwing it up).

1. ashdav

Cyanogen Mod + Link2SD

Sideload any apps you want via apk and uninstall everything Google.

Works fine for me and the battery lasts 3 times as long.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

If it's like my Moto G, then no, there's still a bit of Motorola crap floating around the OS, like MotoCare, Motorola Device Management, and Motorola Assist Framework. It's more like pissing in the pool instead of Motoblur where the yellow stream goes right in the face.

If I'm careful to keep mobile data off when I'm home on wi-fi, the battery lasts about 2.5 days. Seriously though, why the hell does it keep mobile data powered up when I'm on wi-fi? Grump.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah my Moto G which was supposed to be Vanilla had some Motorola stuff on which kept trying to phone home. Oh and lots of Google apps. I ended up going through and deleting lots of stuff:

http://www.stargw.eu/1e8e1f20e4441f57b

But now there is a decent CyanogenMod for the Moto G so I use this (without Google Apps) instead now.

So any Pure edition is still going to have all those Google Apps which have replaced default apps still.

3. tony2heads
    Joke

I think it is a typo

Since they removed the bloat it should be a PURGE edition

4. DrXym

I don't know why they even bother with crapware

Some phones come "preloaded" with Facebook, Twitter etc. which are invariably obsolete even before the phone is turned on. What the hell is the point of this? It just means the manufacturer is burdened with additional testing and the user has junk they don't want eating up space, undeletable and potentially affecting their device's performance and security.

It's an utter waste of time. If manufacturers absolutely have to put crapware on a phone it should at least be in a writable partition and better yet the user should be asked when they turn the phone if they want it installed or not.

Networks like Vodafone, O2 etc are even worse for the shit they preload. It's best to buy SIM free just to avoid bothering with any of it.

1. auburnman

Re: I don't know why they even bother with crapware

SIM free won't save you from the manufacturer's bloatware.

1. DrXym

"SIM free won't save you from the manufacturer's bloatware."

No but it saves you from the network provider's bloatware on top of the manufacturer's bloatware. It also tends to make it easier to root the phone if you want.

2. -tim

Why would they test the applications they preload other than to make sure they don't crash at once? Being able to put the facebook logo on the box will bring in at least one extra sale but who cares if it works.

5. Delbert

Seeing is Believing

Having been heavily burned by buying a Moto Cliq which gave bloatware a whole new horrible meaning and ate up my data allowance even when not actively used, it would be a very cold day before I would touch anything Moto. I don't have problem with preloaded apps like Farcebook or Twitter etc most of the planet is on at least one they will update automatically and they are easily removable. My desire is a simple settings menu that allows me to decide how my phone compromises my privacy I hate the idea I have to pay for my device to report my every move,text and call straight back to moto/google I want a switch that says 'nothing to see move along'. Since the Moto went back in its box I've bought Cubot P9 that doesn't report my gps postion,only updates when I have wifi isn't connecting to facebook every couple of minutes it suits me fine. Will Moto do this level of configuration I doubt it?

6. Lamont Cranston
    Thumb Up

I hope this sells well,

and that other manufacturers will take note, and reduce the amount of crap that they shovel onto our handsets.

7. Tikimon
    Thumb Up

Option to disable cr-apps is decent compromise

My new S5 droid came with much bloatware on it, and my lip curled to snarl nastily as I stared at them all. And then I saw it... the option to disable any individual app I wanted. Now Facebook, et. al. are gray and silent, no spying or battery drain. I can actually disable necessary services, oops. I also like the "close all" feature to shut down recently used apps.

Someone may actually be listening to us, I wasn't expecting to be given such control over the partnerware. It's a good balance between partner deals and user experience. With the bloatware tamed, I'm loving this thing, where I was always playing process wack-a-mole on my old Moto.

8. 2StrokeRider

Have motoX developer version. Not sure what might be different really about 'pure' since I can load roms on this one without a worry about warranty loss from bricking... TI backup allows one to freeze apps anyway so the minimal bloatware left (and the annoying 'an update is available' notice for stock rommers) can be disabled.

Cheers to motorola, they found another way to brand a phone they must have gobs of in the storehouse so they can sell it with a new 'feature'.

9. Number6

One plus point

Regardless of its performance as a phone, removing the bloat is a major step forward. At least if you get a PC from one of the big manufacturers, it's possible to remove the unwanted bloat, on my current phone I'm stuck with a bunch of useless apps taking up space I can't easily recover. We've managed to get carriers to offer phones independent of the airtime contract, now perhaps we can get them to offer phones without the extra crap. Admittedly we're still stuck with some Google presence (request to Google - do what Microsoft did and add an option to disable the bits we don't want to run) unless we're willing to add another layer of complexity, but to some extent that's true for Apple and Microsoft too.

10. Anonymoist Cowyard

People still buy phones with crapware?

All the Androids I have seen have been pretty light. The Sony's have some of their own apps, but it's done in a decent way, and doesn't really deviate too much from how stock works (the walkman and gallery is substantially better IMHO). Ditto for HTC, LG and Moto.

About the only real offender is Samsung.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like